seting cam when  1 tooth off at crank

guys  read over this and  see  where i need to  make corrections :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok this has been gone over many times , but i guess it won't hurt to do it one more time

many times when guys are removeing the head they set the cam gear down on the holder make for that , but as things tend to happen in the world of cars , this can cause problems, what happens is with a worn chain and guides is theres a lot of chain slack , this slack will almost always fall on the long side so the crank gear and the chain get a lof of slack on the pull side, no bigie but this can at times alow the chain to slide past the crank gear and slip a tooth, so when you start to reinstall the cam gear it is now a tooth off on the crank , most of the time this causes the cam to be advance'd by 1/2 of a cam tooth and altho the engine will run it's way out of it's normal timeing spot and performance will suck to say the least ,

this can not becorrect'd at the cam gear in the normal way sence any one tooth is 2 crank gear teeth,, how to fix , well it's realy easy,

first loosen the cam gear bolt,,then you start by seting up the timeing as you normaly would, but this time you set the cam pin in it's 12:00 position and don't pay any atention to the crank pully mark, if the crank and cam are in time the crank mark will be align'd at the tdc mark, but if the cam and crank are out of time the tdc mark on the crank pully will be off by a little say 5-10 degrees or nearly that , if this is the case then do the following

MAKE SURE THE CAM PIN IS AT EXACTLY 12:00

now carefully remove the cam gear bolt and cam gear, but do not set it down on the holder plate but keep an up ward pull on the chain and gear , while keeping a strong upward pull on the gear and chain , use a wrench to turn the crank . lets say the crank was setting at 5 degrees befor tdc , ( as would be the case if the cam is fast)you turn the crank untill it's about the same atdc , now rotate the cam gear one link back . now you have move'd the cam one link back and the crank one tooth late, now if you are right and have not alow'd the chain to drop , when you turn the crank back to TDC both it and the pin will be at 12:00 and the gear will set right into the cam and every thing will be fine again

here the short of it, you can't correct the crank gear timeing at TDC you must change it 1/2 a cam tooth off thus when it's put back to tdc it will now be in proper time with the cam , in essence you move't the crank one aditional tooth so now one tooth on the cam puts it right where it belongs

now sence we're both confuse'd it 's time to quit

__

If it is off at all, isn't it easy enough to just set the crank pulley to line up at "zero", or "T". The #1 piston must be all the way up top. (you can tell by putting a long straw in the spark plug hole to see if the piston is up or down)Then do what it takes to put the cam gear roll pin at 12:00 straight up. A tooth off either way then, will be very obvious to see, and easy to correct.

obvious  and  easy for you Tim isn't nessarryly so to a lot of  the   guys, and if the frt cover is on , explain  how to slip the  crank gear one tooth ;)  any this is only need'd when the  chain has slip'd down  while the head was off or some other reason for the  cam gear to be off , and it does happen  a good bit of the time

• 6 months later...

Alright Shelby. I can shift the cam gear a tooth back in forth but what I really need to do is make the crank skip a tooth.  What's the best way to make this happen?  Can it be done with a new chain and guides or not?  

I bought a modified adj. timing gear but with the new timing stuff already on there is no way I could find to get the cam gear out, just not enough slack. For an experiment I  I just tried 1 cam gear tooth forward, It's too much but I'm thinking if I can move the crank gear a tooth that puts me 1/2 a tooth off on the cam gear thereby I go from having my cam at -2.5 degrees or +7 (9.5 deg change by rotaing cam gear 1 tooth) to being able to set the cam gear at +2.25 degrees advanced right? 1 crank tooth movement is 1/2 the distance at the cam gear.  

If it can happen accidently, here's to hoping I can cause it on purpose tomorrow.

Steve A.

• 2 months later...
:-/How are you holding up the tension of the chain from trying to pull the cam gear   down into its little dish on the head?  Otis at Midwest turbo gave me a good tip of changing the cam without losing the timing, he said he puts a socket under the cam gear to prop it up while removing the cam without taking off the timing cover. If anyone has any better ideas I would appreciate them, for I am about to install my new schnieder 274 cam, but i'm scared of chain coming off the gear and messing it all up! Thanks!

to answer your  question the  chain tentioner is what  pushes the  gear down,, as it comes out,, it will push right back in  if the  chains are not too  old and worn,,alowing the  gear to  reach the cam,, as for what to do  with it as you change the cam,,:) thats  what the little platform   is for befor the  cam gear,,the  gear and chain  just  lower to the plate and let rest  there

the sole purpus of this plate is to hold the gear and chain  up  while  removeing thhe head  and or cam

to answer the other  question,, the  crank is not at tdc  when you  walk the chain  arround the  gear,,it's  eather  adv or  retard'd  1/2 a  tooth  , now when you  turn the crank  back to tdc  it and the cam  pin  will align

• 2 months later...

Shelby

You stated at the first of your post this problem could not be fixed by moving the cam

gear then you say to fix it at the last of your post by moving the cam gear. this will

still have it off. I will have to look at my spare engine and see if there is a simple solution.

Bill

Bill - initially that's what it looks like Shelby is saying... the thing is he's also saying to turn the crankshaft a little bit.  Thus, the crank sprocket moves about 1 link while the cam sprocket is hand-moved 1 link the other way.  Since the cam sprocket rotates at half the rate of the crankshaft, the net result is a half-link change at the cam or a full link at the crank.  Sneaky.

mike c.

I would think that if your crank slipped a tooth then if you still had balance shafts they would now be off. Ive pulled alot of heads and never had it slip time(never with the balance shafts removed) so it would probably be a good time to tear into it and replace the chain and guides.

If the balance shafts were removed, that is a good trick to get it back in time. Of course it can be tried with the balance shafts and if there is NO engine vibration call it good, but I think it would drive me nuts not knowing for sure.

Tony  

Mike

With the chain tight on the crank gear you are still moving the cam gear one tooth in

relation to the crank. Try this if you have a spare engine sitting where it is easy to get to.

If I understand correctly the only way to fix this is move it one tooth at the crank.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
you can  not move the  crank  gear  BUT if the crank is not at tdc  when you move the cam, this is the  part  most are  missing the crank is not at  tdc, this  is  1/2 a link on the  cam, so seting the cam up then moveing it and the  crank to tdc  puts it all back in time

• 4 months later...

Hy Shelby.I saw on manual and that's how my engine runs before. with timeing crank-can:on the chain are two shyni links;with the crank at TDC you put the short part in the right side one link on the crank and the other on the spot marked on cam gear.The pin in the cam request cam position.This is on tristarion.com pdf manual.

I saw you recomend on forum:crank at TDC(cul no 1 on 0) and the spot on the cam gear at 12o'clock.

In both sit. the piston didn't hit the valve,I've checked this ,but I didn't start the engine with cam at12.

Please light me up!Am I missing somethig on the way of timeig or what?

Bye.