Adapter Bellhousings for the 54B NOW have T56 #'s!

89onaquest

This sounds like a good thing.  I don't have the funds for a tranny swap now, but....

If I was, I'd prolly go with a GM automatic for drag racing.

The thing to think about is why someone would want to swap out the tranmission in the first place.  It's either going to be drag racing or some sort of road racing.

I'm more familiar with drag racing and I'd be looking to put a GM trans in for that.

I don't know if it would be the best way to go, but there are tons of cheap Turbo350 transmissions out there.  T400 are common too but heavier.  The 700R4's are getting more common for dual use vehicles, but for me, I would spend the money to swap the trans for that.

I have no idea on the most common manual trans to use.

Another consideration would be the mounting of the starter and making sure it lines up with the flywheel.

This does sound like a very good thing and hopefully you can make some that will accomodate a variety of choices.

Rich

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you making bellhousings for both the 4g63 and the g54b for three different transmission styles?  ::)

Take care

Shawn

No...

People are interested in 3 trans for the 4G63... at least that is what I thought...

GM T5

Ford T5

GM Auto.

Hell, If people want to get interest going for adapters for the 54B, bring it on too. It can happen after the 63's are done. And will be alot easier as I have access to a housing, so the only change would be the trans mounting plate.

So I quess for clarifacation.... RIGHT NOW this is for the 4G63 swap...

After this is done 1 run, I will be more then willing to do a G54B housing as well.

Or if interest is on the other end more right now, the 54B will happen first allowing me to get funds up for the 63 housing.

Ok... so Now (again for clarifacation) post the Engine and trans to put to that engine.

Sorry if it was not clear before.

Also about time frames, I was told that I could expect delivery (depending on numbers) 15-20 would be done within a week after they get paid to make them. If there are 25-plus, expect longer waiting times, but he promised the latest would be 3 weeks. Unless we hit him with like 75 of these...

350 TQ yes waste of time. I'll rip that to shreds inside of 6months.

Shelby, I think you are right, the Auto is the way to go for all out drag racing. I think people are afraid of the auto's and  working on them in general etc. I know I am. I think we really need a trany that is capeable of laughing at 350TQ and being right at home with 450 or so.

Very valid point!

My last run on the 20G hybrid I was putting down 360 lb/ft to the wheels. We would need at least 450, those TQ numbers go up a lot faster than ya think!

just for the record, I'm looking for a T-56 to G54B.  I'm currently looking at the adapter flange idea using the ford bellhousing/tail housing, but that is gonna be a tight fit, if it even fits.  It would be best to use a quest bellhousing, the rest I belive would fit, you can model off the quest auto bell, it's removable from the gear box.

I have a auto bell housing off an automatic G54B sitting in my backyard if you need one to model off of. I have been saving it for a tranny swap anyway. I think you would get more swaps from the G54B guys since thats the majority here.

Steven

I would be more interested in the G54B.  I think that with all the MPI guys and the custom headers we will soon see alot more cars in the 300+whp that are going to require better trannys.  Its only a matter of time before they all start puking.  I also wouldn't waste my time putting in a tranny that has not been proven to handle anything less than 400-500whp.  Not that I'll ever see 500whp but if I'm shelling out the beans for a conversion I only want to spend the money and do the work once! cause you just never know ;)

Ok, so the 54B is first in line.

A bellhousing is no biggie, I can get a manual housing from Joe, I think he is pulling the trans out of his 87 this weekend anyway.

OK....

So I see T56(we all know this has massive compasity)

and the L60E

I will change the topic of the thread next to cut any comfusion at all. And I will start adding names.

if people can't live without a 4G63 then they should keep the DSM tranny and drop the whole thing in the rear and not worry about a tranny swap.

and just how many do the actauly swap anyway. keep it for a G54B and there will be a lot of interest. I will go for a T56. going through all that and still staying 5 speed is not a shaby decision.

OK,

As far as the Ford T5's go you'd want the World Class T5.  Now, if you get your hands on one and it needs a rebuild, let me know because I'm a dealer for this bad a** tranny place called Hanlon Motorsports.  They offer a complete small parts rebuild kit that is just awesome.  Everything is upgraded and stronger than the Ford pieces.  The T5's aren't that hard to rebuild and just about any tranny place can do them.  The T56 came on the 2000 Cobra R's and the 03-04 Cobra's.  They are available from Ford Motorsports or FRPP now.  They aren't that expensive.  I think they're like $2500.  Of course $2500 is a fortune it seems for everyone on here.  LOL  Hey, I'm a broke a** too!  We have like 6 T5's here.  LOL  The T45 and the Tremec 3650 are pieces of crap in my opinion.  They are very "clicky" which means they stop and pretty much hesitate in every part of the shift.  you go from 1st to 2nd and it stops in neutral, then into second.  Going to 3rd is the same way.  It's a pain in the a**.  Maybe I'm just not used to driving them yet.  LOL  Don't get much seat time, or maybe the nice butter smooth 5 speed in my Bimmer has spoiled me.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm  Anyways, I'd definately go for a T5 or T56.  If you need the transmission to bellhousing bolt patterns I'll get em for ya.

Laters,

Brian

Here's some sites that should help you...

http://garage-scene.home.att.net/t5_install_identifying.htm

GM T5 Stuff

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/t5swap.html

Early Mustang Swap Info.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09...wap/index.shtml

Lots Of Good T5 Info Here

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/drive...ellhousing.html

Bellhousing Stuff

http://www.advanceadapters.com/acrobat/ftrans.pdf

More Tranny Information

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56pics.html

May help

Just do a little searching and you'll find it.  If you really really want, I can go out back & measure one.

Laters,

Brian

if you can get me a diagram em and other members will be overjoyed ;D

On the GM trans, this is what I have seen...

I got to poking around On Ebay, and looking at the L60E, the bellhousing IS REMOVIBLE.

Also, I NEED CONFIRMATION FROM SOMEONE, but looking at the 2 with the bellhousings off, they seem VERY CLOSE, if not the same mounting flange. AGAIN I NEED CONFIRMATION FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS ACCESS TO THEM. Or, 2 cad/tech drawings that I can compare. At this time I will not promise or preach that they are the same, they just LOOK IT.

SO time for another decision. Do YOU want to go with GM or Ford T56?

I am making no judgement calls on any of this. I need a housing for a different motor, so this is all for you guys.

Also, we might want to see if the 2 T56s' have the SAME flange?

351, you want in? you seem to be helping out alot with this. Which I appreciate greatly.

Are you going to have a prototype made first and make sure it actually works in a car (eg. slave cylinder, clutch setup, trans x-member, driveshaft, floor modifications, pilot bearing, release bearing, shifter location, etc) or is that the problem of the people that buy the housing to worry about?  ::)

Take care

Shawn

Are you going to have a prototype made first and make sure it actually works in a car (eg. slave cylinder, clutch setup, trans x-member, driveshaft, floor modifications, pilot bearing, release bearing, shifter location, etc) or is that the problem of the people that buy the housing to worry about?  ::)

Take care

Shawn

Shawn, I know exactly what I am getting into.

Yes there will be a prototype cast and tested.

You can take your comments about quality elsewhere.

As far as shifter location, I cannot give an answer, and neither could you given the situation. We are adapting a transmission that was not meant to go into this car. Transmissions are all different. They all have different demensions. If someone whats a better transmission then the one that they have now, they may have to deal with modifacations.

As far as what will be compared is the following...

1. pilot shaft relation

2. Total length

3. Possible shifter movement

4. Possible crossmember modifacation/replacement

5. Demensional differences. Width/length/height

As I said before, your comments are welcome to a point.

I do not and have not questioned quality of your products, or meathods. Do not do it to me.

Do not try to bad mouth something that I am tring to do, I am not bad mouthing yours.

I went to the boards asking what THEY wanted to use(transmission wise), not designed and told them what had to use like you did.

I am not looking to get into a pissing fight. I just don't care. If push comes to shove, I will get mine made for the '63 and be done with it.

I do not come on to the boards offering things that I do not plan on doing, or would not run myself. I also do not charge hefty prices either. I gave mine straight out, as per what the foundry gave me. Am I making somethingout of the deal? yeah, about $10 bucks per, that's about it. I am doing this to give something to the boards, for all the help and information they have given me. I am not looking to get rich off the boards, that's not my thing.

I am not going to say another word to you. Everything is settled in my book.

What about the mopar 518 ? It has the guts of a 727 torqueflite with an overdrive

in the tail housing which can be toggle switch or hooked up to a vacuum switch.

You can run a 456:1 gear ratio out back and have a final drive of 272:1 ion overdrive.

I had a 727 in my 70 Dart with a stroked 440,4500 stall , 488:1 gears and that baby ran 9.30's in the qrt all motor . That tranny was very stout..

Peace Geo

My feeling is that a adapter that can take a Ford T5 or T56 would be great. There are onebillion mustangs everywhere.

Brian in the mustang world are people converting from the T5 to the T56? If so maybe make it for the T5 (lowest comon denominator) that way if someone wants to do a T56 they could just do whatever the Mustang guys are doing to switch. 2500 is 500 short of what I paid for the car I was finding T5s for 600 or so does that sound right? Brian if this comes out for the T5 and you have some laying around can you hook a brutha up?

Second reason I'd lean toward a ford is b/c I've had a 5.0 and I can remember never having a problem. I think someone with T5 experiance should expand on shelby's coment on it's soft synchros. If there is a monster problem I'd hate to get right back into the same boat I'm in now. Meaning arem wrestling match with 2nd gear then listening to the tranny complain about loosing that fight by grinding into 3d.

Last, someone needs to make sure a T5 will fit in there. Somone told me it will bolt right in ?

Guest silverngray

I am down for a t56 bellhousing. As long as it will retain the hydrualics for the clutch and will have the shifter in the correct place! Need to know we have an available clutch also! If the tunnell requires massaging I am ok with that.

Rico

As far as clutches go, I do not know. I do not know the mustang world at all to be perfectly honest. I only know the GM world mostly. Also remember that you will be using the stock flywheel.

As far as hydrualics and the T56 goes, the ones that I HAVE seen (the GM ones) have a hydraulically operated throwout bearing. This may be the same for Ford, I do not know. Read first paragraph line 2.

Again, shifter location I know is important, but I would be willing to bet that it will be moved back an inch or so, THIS ALL DEPENDS ON THE ADAPTER. When I get very clear information I post it. Joe is gonna be pulling that trans tomarrow (I know I said he would be doing it today-we all have a life besides cars) if not tomarrow, he said this weekend at the lastest.

When he gets me that information, I can compare it to the T56.

I will call the place tommarrow to see when he could have a proto-type ready after I get him a viable mold to use.

Now... Conquest351, this is for you...

You said that you had these trans laying around correct?

If so, I NEED MEASUREMENTS. Cross reference measurements something, anything that I can use to put into a cad form. Measure both if you can, if the bolt holes are far enough apart, I can dual tap the housing to accept both trans.

Also, since you have these at your whim, when the proto is ready for testing, I will probly send it to you, as I do not have one of these trans, and it would be a pain for me to get ahold of one, and I will not buy one, as I am ditching the 54B. If it works, great, post-er up. If it needs something changed, let me know. If you would like to take care of it down there great, if not I will pay for it to come back up to Joe or I for us to make changes to. Then we will send it back.

I never once questioned the quality of your work.  I believe the more available for these cars the better!  My concern always with any product is that it is proven.  If you plan to design and build a prototype and install in a vehicle and offer all the parts or offer the information on the pieces required, then I believe that's a wonderful addition to your product line.

If you look at the various threads in the GP section of members designing products, in the end, everyone involved wants a working example to see what they are recieving.  You sound very serious with this and also seem to have the knowledge to make this happen for the community.

You seem to have harsh feelings towards me, even though we are heading down different pathes in regards to housings being designed.  I am of no threat to your endevours and am willing to be of assistance to you in regards to cnc programming or any other work you need to make this a reality.

Take care

Shawn

www.starconquer.com