Drivers window stuck down - Need Help??

I feel like it's been a long time since I've put a post up looking for help ... but I need help guys.  Went to a car show about 2 weeks ago and put my windows down.  My drivers window has been stuck down ever since.

I took the switch off tonight to look at it, but I don't see how it would come apart to look inside at the contacts.

hDOCyw.jpg

s8NXBw.jpg

I don't have another switch.  When I installed the new interior last summer the interior I bought didn't come with switches, so I swapped over my originals.  So this is the only one I have.

I hooked the switch back up and put a test light on it.  I get a light on the test light when I probe the green wire, but nothing on the red wire.  Makes me think it could be the switch, but the fact that I'm getting a light kinda makes me think the motor could be bad.  I feel like I hear the motor trying to something, but it's hard to tell.

So ... is it a motor or the switch?  I've restored several cars at this point in my life, but I've never swapped a window motor. I wouldn't even know how to go about it.  The door is pretty solid, I can't imagine it'd be any fun at all.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Other valuable info ... everything else works - passenger window, dome light, etc.  I haven't had any other problems with the car other than the drivers window not functioning.

If I remember correctly there is a small rod that slides out where the switch pivots. That will release the caps. Try cleaning/greasing the contacts.

Awesome. Thank you BuGG. I suspected I was missing something since other threads mentioned cleaning these.

Before you take them apart, check for continuity and bridge the terminals to make the motor go up/down.

I'd rather see you make sure the switch is buggered by non-destructive means first.

Not that you will destroy it, but I've noticed this old plastic is pretty fragile 

I update the pictures in my original thread about this procedure. I couldn't find all the pictures but there is one of the pins to push out to take it apart. Do it on a towel or something similar and watch out for the small springs.

Jimmy

2 hours ago, admin_JAinsworth said:

I update the pictures in my original thread about this procedure. I couldn't find all the pictures but there is one of the pins to push out to take it apart. Do it on a towel or something similar and watch out for the small springs.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy.  This is a huge help. I'm gonna try this later today.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, kev said:

Get it going tonight and come up to Carlisle Import in the morning!  

I'm going to assume that didn't happen. I like where your head is at though Kev!

I was able to get the pin out everyone talked about and I got the switch disassembled, but that's as far as I've gotten. That was Friday. I haven't had 5 minutes to myself since then. I'm hoping to clean it all up tomorrow night and try it out -  if I can squeeze a few moments out in the garage.

On 5/13/2024 at 12:55 PM, psu_Crash said:

I'm going to assume that didn't happen. I like where your head is at though Kev!

No, it didn't.  I made it out there...only CQ there this year, but did meet several other CQ owners who weren't able to bring their cars.   

9 hours ago, kev said:

No, it didn't.  I made it out there...only CQ there this year, but did meet several other CQ owners who weren't able to bring their cars.   

Hanging with like minded addicts is always a good day! I am often that guy without his car there lol 

On 5/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, kev said:

Get it going tonight and come up to Carlisle Import in the morning!  

Kev I totally forgot this past weekend was Carlisle.  That event sneaks up on me every year.  It's been a rough start to car show / meet season.  It's rained so much.  I think I only drove the car 3 times so far this year till the window got stuck down.

Made it out to the garage tonight -  you guys were right.  Glad I asked.  Turned out it was just REALLY dirty contacts.  I picked up some of the recommended QD Electric spray. 

wpPref.jpg

My contacts were BLACK.  I forgot to take a beforehand pic, but they were pretty bad. Sprayed everything down and cleaned everything up.

fmHZZ4.jpg

Used a Q-tip to put a dab of diaelectric grease on everyhing too.

nPKD9i.jpg

Tested it before I reinstalled and the window goes up and down so fast now - I guess the build-up was affecting continuity.

I also decided now would be a good time to install these new decals I got from Natellica 10 years ago (for those that remember him).

aKZPKh.jpg

This was the current state of my switch.

HkpL22.jpg

Much better.

DVozGn.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, techboy said:

Kev I totally forgot this past weekend was Carlisle.  That event sneaks up on me every year.  It's been a rough start to car show / meet season.  It's rained so much.  I think I only drove the car 3 times so far this year till the window got stuck down.

Yeah, I know.  It's rained every weekend for the past couple months.  I have only driven mine twice.  Once just around the neighborhood after getting it out of winter hibernation and the second to Carlisle and back on Saturday.   Got home just before it started pouring.      Looks like another weekend of rain ahead of us too.