Every time I try to get out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!

Hello I’m Mike. ( I’m not an alcoholic).

20 years have passed since I was last here. At that time, I had a 1987 Conquest that I had completely converted to a twin turbocharged 700 hp 363 c.i. Ford motor/Powerglide drag car. In the cars previous iteration, it was a N/A 347/Tremec 3550 street driver. Before that, it was a dead engine’d stocker sitting under a Spruce tree with a pretty serious Hornets nest under the hood.

A few years before that project, I had a 1987 Starion that also ended up as a ford engined drag car.

In between Starquest ownership, the last car I had was a 1978 Ford Fairmont street driver.

With a 617hp 2jz GTE/CD 009.

When a complete JDM 2jz could be bought for 2700.00

Now, present day, I just bought a 1989 Buckskin Conquest off auction that I’ve had for about a week now.

A declaration to the purists:

My drag racing days are over. This car will not get hacked up and ford engine swapped. It’s a 72k mile fairly nice, mostly unmodified stock car. Save for squeezing it to make more power, I intend to leave the drivetrain alone. 
The Transmission shift linkage is worn out, the front seats have been in the Arizona sun too long, and the tires are flat spotted so bad the car drives like it’s on square tires. But other than those “ fixes”, it will make a nice driver.

ill be asking for HP mod help, Suspension and braking upgrade advice, and what others have done to make the seat accommodate a 6’ driver. And put it all in a build thread.

And desperately try to avoid putting any other engine in the car.

Thanks for reading.

( I’m “ wordy”)

IMG_2066.jpeg.7d9dd7dbf3eed99d9acfd1a600904801.jpeg

Edited by Mike7447
  • Like 2

Welcome back! Sounds like a nice find! 

My opinions

HP mod: Go MPI with a standalone. Decent T3 flange exhaust manifold and a ball bearing turbo. 

Suspension: D2 all the way. Although there are some other coil over options out there now that are probably fine. 

As for the trans linkage, a short throw shifter and new fulcrum bushing will be night and day difference. Sounds like your fulcrum bushing is gone. I bought a couple of them of a member here years ago. Might be a little tricky finding one now. I'm not really sure. 

P.S. I'm also Mike, and I may be an alcoholic 😊

Edited by psu_Crash

Ok.

69 views…I hope someone can help me 

Rather than just go all newb, and ask a bunch of dumb --------------- questions that have been asked since the dawn of eternity, I tried to do some forum surfing first.

The site crashes almost 85-90% between every topic change and makes me reload the page. ( tells me something like too many of something is happening, and to try again….then I have to wait about a minute for it to work)

No pictures from any other sub forum is/are viewable. I cannot glean any useful info from any previous how to..anywhere.

wt.... is happening here?

I've been having trouble with the site lately too, and I recently started getting an ad between every click which o never got any ads before at all - not sure what's going on.

Car looks awesome. I'd love to see some pics of that buckskin interior.

6 hours ago, techboy said:

I've been having trouble with the site lately too, and I recently started getting an ad between every click which o never got any ads before at all - not sure what's going on.

Car looks awesome. I'd love to see some pics of that buckskin interior.

We’ve determined buckskin is the paint code.   The interior in that car is regular black.  

Site has been acting up for me too this week. Seems ok today though so far. 

Go ahead and ask all the questions you like. We are kinda bored around here these days 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, techboy said:

Are you sure the Paint Code on that car is "Buckskin"?  I'm 99% sure that was available interior color name, not an exterior paint code.  I don't even see a paint color called Buckskin here: All Factory Colors List

Car looks like Palermo Grey to me.

As long as I can trust the original window sticker, the color appears to be buckskin.

IMG_2080.jpeg.6a9d9ca5f78bdd78ee45dc62b106b290.jpeg

Interesting.  I'll have to take a look at that window sticker when I have a chance and I can download into an app I zoom-in on.

Super cool you have the window sticker.  I'm jealous.

14 hours ago, techboy said:

Are you sure the Paint Code on that car is "Buckskin"?  I'm 99% sure that was available interior color name, not an exterior paint code.  I don't even see a paint color called Buckskin here: All Factory Colors List

Car looks like Palermo Grey to me.

Window sticker says “PV2 buckskin”

Google it and it gives 2 references:

”Chrysler Light Buckskin PV2”

”Palermo Grey Metallic L83” 

So what we call Palermo, the window sticker calls it “PV2 Buckskin”