Some info about air cups

tux

Hey all.  

I've purchased two air cup kits to try out.  Both the stanceparts kit and the D2 kit (really a vera kit).  Both kits are front end only, no tank.

Just wanted to toss this info out there.

Both of the kits are 100% identical, except for the branding on the cups.

Stanceparts lists a weight limit for their kit, whereas D2/Vera do not.

The weight limit for stanceparts is 4400lbs total weight.  I would assume for D2/Vera it to be the same.  

Both kits have same lines, compressor (Vera Air 444c), solenoid, etc.

I've installed both kits components to be sure there wasn't a bad part.

Turns out, the Station's front end exceeds the weight limit for both kits.

If you disable one cup and cap the line, it will lift one corner of the car fine.  Tested both corners this way, and no issue.

Problem arises when you attempt to lift both corners at the same time, there just either isn't enough pressure or airflow.  One cup will leak from the center of the cup.

Lifting the car with a jack to remove weight will allow the cups to function, but this isn't desired.

I did hook up the air lines to my shop compressor, and it does lift.  But the shop compressor is a 60 gal tank.  It flows more CFM than the Vera Air compressor can flow, but cannot reach the same pressure (shop is 125 psi and the Vera Air is rated at 200 psi).

Vera is shipping me a kit to try with their tank.  I'll update then, but I'm shipping back the Stanceparts kit, as it's doesn't work as advertised.

I'll update when the kit comes and is installed, in case anyone was thinking about one of these kits.

The tank isn't an ideal solution, and maybe I'll have to get more cf front end bits from @Boosted Diamondsto cut the weight, though I'm not sure it would even shave enough weight having cf fenders and hood.

Edited by tux

That's odd, even without a tank, I would still expect the compressor to be able to lift the front end with the air cups, just slower. Got any pictures to illustrate the "one cup will leak from the center of the cup" issue?

I agree it would work better with a tank, that will give you a larger volume of 200psi air ready to slam into the cups when the valves open.

7 hours ago, obsolete said:

That's odd, even without a tank, I would still expect the compressor to be able to lift the front end with the air cups, just slower. Got any pictures to illustrate the "one cup will leak from the center of the cup" issue?

I agree it would work better with a tank, that will give you a larger volume of 200psi air ready to slam into the cups when the valves open.

That would be hard to get a pic of.  I did send video to D2 and Vera.  They say they've had similar issues with heavy front end cars and offered to send the tank components gratis.  So we will see if that makes it work.

However, back of the napkin math pretending the air cup is a hydraulic cylinder, each cup should be able to life like 11,000lbs, using 200psi.

Which leads me to believe, the CFM rating of the compressor isn't enough.

Edited by tux

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got the tank, but it was missing fittings, so I haven't been able to test yet.  Ordered some fittings from Amazon... I also ordered a half gallon air tank as well, since the one for the air cup kit is 1 gallon.

I will test first with the 1 gallon tank, then see if I can get away with a half gallon, as I don't want to take up that much trunk space.

So got around to testing.  1 gallon tank and the car lifted no problem.

I tested the half gallon tank and lifted no problem again.

Either sized tank will work, but in the interest of trunk space, I will be using the half gallon tank.

I do not have a spare tire, unfortunately, so if i one day decide to have a small 8" or 10" fiber glass sub enclosure made to fill the spare tire well, i could probably have them mold in a spot fit in the half gallon tank under the cardboard panel that covers the spare tire well

• Like 1