Tilt steering

Connerf5

So my steering wheel does not stay up and moves around a ton while driving. Didn't think much of it but now it's annoying as s*** haha. Anyone have this problem and know how to fix it? I can't get that great of a view at the linkage and what actually locks it into place. Don't want to rip apart everything

There's a nice write up in here somewhere ....

here at the end of Kev's column rebuild he tells you how to eliminate your problem

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=131612

Edited by 87redcat

The permanent and RIGHT fix is to take the column apart and rebuild it. The screw that tightens the column to the mount just isn't clamping like it should. It's worth it for the fix. The 88's were notorious for it.

- Charles

It is a design flaw. Even after rebuilding it, it will eventually work its way loose again.

Rebuild it and add the spring like I show in my thread. It is ot $5 and 10 minutes of work while you at the rebuild. The spring is added confidence it won't come loose but still permits column adjustment.

I've had this problem on every conquest I owned except for an 84 which has a different tilt mechanism. Since I added the springs over the past few years, I haven't had a reoccurrence.

Kevin

Just rebuild the linkage not the whole column. You can do that while it is on the car.

For a quick fix to keep you from an issue in the meantime, reach under there and find the long black extension spring that goes to the brake pedal. It's clipped to that black flange on the column, the same one that I show hooking the new spring to. Take the long black spring off of this bracket and hook it to the linkage arm.

It's not optimal but it's better than letting that column shift up and down while driving until you can plan on fixing it right.

Kev

Most of my SQs had a tight tilt mechanism but the adjustment rod would work it's way loose. I've only ever done the bend the adjustment rod trick. 7 years now and my tilt steering hasn't dropped once.

Pull the adjustment out then take the plastic knob off. Then bend the rod slightly where it enters the column. The goal is to get the rod to bind in the column so it doesn't work loose. Once it feels very tight pushing the rod back in you've bent it enough.

I've never had a bad one in any of my 87s or 86s. They ask tighten perfectly fine. Before I rebuilt the column on my 87, it worked flawlessly. I redid everything and it feels even better than before. Locks nice and tight. I've only experienced problems with my 88 and 89.

A rebuild would also help with the stupid column twisting by replacing those snap-off bolts. It's easy to do and gives the opportunity to check the commonly written parts.

Just my 2.6 cents

- Charles