Spotted: StarQuest Race Car in LA!

The car is fully gutted and skinned! Doors and body panels are literally just the skin! Full on roll cage, modified strut towers with camber plates, custom made lower control arms, sway bar, tension rods and coil overs. Fire supression system inside etc etc.

But the money shot is this....

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk226/80sriceman/Mobile%20Uploads/20150912_110506.jpg

Sweet does he races that as well, also any of those mini's for sale?

The car is just sitting and has been for 3 years. He wants to sell it, he said cheap but never gave me a price of what he means by cheap. He's an older dude, like late 50's but seems like he has ADHD.

There is definately 30 thousand plus invested in that StarQuest. The suspension set up was nicely done and the engine work looks really good. The wheels were real 3 piece he said.

The Minis are for sale. The woody I picked up was purchased by a collector. The restoration shop is my customer, he does phenonmenoal work. One of his works won the Palos Verde Concours D'elegance Best of Class and Best of Show. So they gonna throw mega bucks at restoring that Mini.

This dudes house front looked like a hoarders Mini collection. He is converting one to AWD. That should be interesting.

This makes me want to do a 3S swap. Any way you can ask them about things they had to do to make the swap work?

For one, they had to cut the fire wall. The engine is sitting right up against it. I didnt pay much attention to certain things cuz I too sort of have ADHD :lol: But he said the tranny was a really expensive piece with twin clutch set up.

Man, I should really go back over there and take more pictures. I told him I have a red '87 and he said "yeah, I've seen you driving around." But there is like a dozen red ones in the area, so it could be anyone. (A lot of those guys don't care for the forums)

LUV those little minis! Dad gave me his 1275GT as one of my 1st cars. Nothing feels like those tiny marvels

Still kickin myself for selling it

3SG is one of the worst rwd swaps. Wayyyy too much hassle for literally zero advantage vs the alternatives

LUV those little minis! Dad gave me his 1275GT as one of my 1st cars. Nothing feels like those tiny marvels

Still kickin myself for selling it

3SG is one of the worst rwd swaps. Wayyyy too much hassle for literally zero advantage vs the alternatives

3sgte is a great motor, I'm running a gen4 in my '95 mr2 turbo, its just like a 2jz with 2 less cylinders, makes plenty of power, reliable and even gets good fuel economy when cruising.

so does a 4g63, sr20, ca18, etc. The nissans are already rwd = far easier and cheaper swap

Even the majority of 3sg-corolla folks regretted their motor choice, as too fussy & costly

That excludes the BEAMS 3sg(normally aspirated) from the rwd altezza.

whoever built that starion looks like they knew what they were doing and, wanted out of the 3SG for track use tho

My comment directed towards the "average" swap prospect

This makes me want to do a 3S swap

If u gonna run a toyota 4cyl in a starquest for street use, a RZ is a better choice to me

Readily available, rwd stock, lots more torque, no hotside all tangled up with lhd brakes and steering.... just to name a few

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine#3S-GTE

3S-GTE

The 3S-GTE is an in-line 4-cylinder 1998 cc engine from Toyota, based on the 3S-GE with the addition of under piston oil squirters and a reduced compression ratio to accommodate the addition of a turbocharger.

those wheels look pretty nice. that front bumper looks pretty interesting but doesn't really flow with the car. I wonder what it is from.

Custom made fiber glass just like the hood. The hood is an 83ish style fiber glass but its got no structural backing, so its limp.

Any upskirt shots?

Man I'm still wondering why the heck I didnt take more pictures. I was on full work mode, just trying to load Mini and split....that and I had some cold frosty ones at home I wanted to get to!

I'll make time to go out there again this week. Take more pics, get more info.

• 1 month later...