OEM oil filters > all others?

mstieg

This. But now a days, most major brands have that feature. Exept maybe Fram. They call that "premium" oil filters and charge more for them.

I've seen a lot of people say lots of bad things about Fram oil filters over the years but never had and issue, once in a while I would pick up one of their "premium" filters. Until one day on the wife's Rover the oil light came on at start up three days after an oil change. I had her shut it down and changed the filter out immediately. Once replaced the oil light was not on. It's anecdotal evidence but it was enough for me. I won't ever use another Fram.

Years ago when I used to run emissions on cars I saw FRAM air filters cause high CO readings they were so restrictive.

Edited by mbruneaux

Several aftermarket oil filters have anti-drainback valves in them now, Wix, Purolator, etc. etc. Using Mitsubishi oem filter is purely a piece of mind or a prefference reason. They're made in Thailand btw if that even matters or not.

I feel like all quality filters have anti drain back valves. Its not even something anyone discusswe on bitog.com

Only other things to consider are filter marerial, type of bypass, and what pressure it bypasses at.

For example,

Ford 4.6 is designed to function with a specific bypass pressure... Hence mine gets the motorcraft filter.

Subaru 2.5 doesn't care, so any quality filter will do. However, it's transmission has a really soft bypass that only a fraction of fluid entering gets filtered, hence a non oem filter can starve the trans of lube.

You'd need all these specs to make a perfect decision for an engine, and since the g54b is far from popular, so is info.

no its not, carquest filters havent been wix in over a year

The dusty old ones for the 2.6 my store sells are still Wix lol you can tell the difference in the text on the filter between new and old. Who makes em now I forget?