Got my new steering coupler today from bc 99

Yeah, it may transfer a very small amount of road vibrations to the steering wheel. It was discussed awhile back, that might be one small "side effect" of a solid metal coupler.

I supposed having no vibrations and loose, unpredictable steering may be more desirable to some, than actually feeling exactly what the tires are doing while contacting the road surfaces.

I should probably post a disclaimer on my vendor thread.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99
  • Like 1

A stock coupler does not give 'loose, unpredictable steering'. A bad one can, but not one in good condition. What will this one do when it gets worn, and how long will that take? I have stock ones in great shape with 150K+ miles on them.

That said, this is definitely the best alternative one I've seen pictures of. At least it swivels, and thus will not directly transfer impact energy in a linear fashion with the column like a welded stock one will. This one is much safer than that, and won't transfer near as much vibration either. I'll bet it is quite tolerable considering most of us are already putting up with opened up exhaust, no balance shafts, upgraded cams, stiffer suspension, etc.. I'd have to think I wouldn't notice much difference, and maybe a preferred difference if any. A little tighter feel should be expected (although stock is not 'loose' in my opinion).

What other reason can anyone fathom the replacement for? If an OEM coupler is worn out, like the test car I used, it will be way past "loose". I'm talking 1/4+ turn of the steering wheel before any input is relayed to the tires, and very abrupt and unexpected lane changes without wanting to.

All four of my cars still have good condition stock couplers. And I have pulled 2 more from 100k plus cars that I parted.....but I bet my parts will outlast those 25+ year old rubber ones.

This one will in all likelihood, outlast the cars they are installed in. It is a universal joint that sees very little angle change and very little lateral stress, due to the advantages of power steering.

If anyone else steps up to spend their own time and money to develope a direct bolt in replacement, that can be installed in a few hours with simple hand tools, that can out perform this one, I'll be happy to buy one myself.

I didn't need this part. I did this for the community, to fill a need. I saw people doing stupid things like using window epoxy or half arse welding to repair the OEM parts. So, if it does have a little bit of "road feel" to it.... Or doesn't meet up to the elitist expectations of some, they are invited to not purchase one.

BC_99

What other reason can anyone fathom the replacement for? If an OEM coupler is worn out, like the test car I used, it will be way past "loose". I'm talking 1/4+ turn of the steering wheel before any input is relayed to the tires, and very abrupt and unexpected lane changes without wanting to.

All four of my cars still have good condition stock couplers. And I have pulled 2 more from 100k plus cars that I parted.....but I bet my parts will outlast those 25+ year old rubber ones.

This one will in all likelihood, outlast the cars they are installed in. It is a universal joint that sees very little angle change and very little lateral stress, due to the advantages of power steering.

If anyone else steps up to spend their own time and money to develope a direct bolt in replacement, that can be installed in a few hours with simple hand tools, that can out perform this one, I'll be happy to buy one myself.

I didn't need this part. I did this for the community, to fill a need. I saw people doing stupid things like using window epoxy or half arse welding to repair the OEM parts. So, if it does have a little bit of "road feel" to it.... Or doesn't meet up to the elitist expectations of some, they are invited to not purchase one.

BC_99

i personally think your coupler is bad britt, if i hadnt pissed you off id buy one for my 83. but i guess my only option is to window weld it. haha

I'm not an unreasonable person. I understand that "We ALL" say things without thinking sometimes. Not just you. The problem is that when you unintentionally rub someone the wrong way, you should say..."hey man, my bad. I didn't mean it that way."

Yet, making excuses for your insults and saying "don't judge me by the things I say" and further insulting the person you offended and their profession, and saying things like "I will get them anyway", "money is no object", or "I guess I'll just window weld it..haha" only reinforces the preconceived ideas the person or people you have offended already had about you.

All it takes to fix a public insult is usually a public apology. I have stuck my foot in my mouth before, but I had the dignity and respect for others to be a man and say I was sorry.

Been there with the solid poly motor mounts......had to ditch one for a stock one. I couldn't take it.

BC_99

hey man iirc i did say i was sorry and sorry i am

Your apology and comments afterwards were more insulting than the initial statement. So, whatever man, it's in the past and I'm done with the issue.

100% satisfied with my coupler Britt. I do not notice any additional road feel. Glad you had them made.

Thanks Braden, I am glad you and everyone else who has needed them feel that way. I am rolling some ideas around in my head about the center link situation that we are all facing. I hope I can come up with a viable solution for that at some point in the future that will be reasonably affordable. Swapping a steering rack in is a ton of work, but may be the only other option if we can't figure out something.

I have a few other things to finish up before I really dig into it, but it is definitely on my radar.

BC_99

Other than the fact I've never seen a steering coupler priced so high in my life..it looks like a good part.

Other than the fact I've never seen a steering coupler priced so high in my life..it looks like a good part.

A custom machined one to replace a NLA part for our rare cars? Price seems very fair to me. Can't wait to get mine installed Britt.

Drake

A custom machined one to replace a NLA part for our rare cars? Price seems very fair to me. Can't wait to get mine installed Britt.

Drake

Haters man...everybody has one or 2. Lol. The last NEW OEM coupler that sold on this site went for around $350 iirc. And run of the mill steering universal joints sell for around $75-$100, without custom fitting and hardware included, so I take that last bit of criticism with a grain of salt, considering where it came from. I hope you are as pleased with the results, as everyone else has been.

BC_99

Not hating ..please don't turn this into a dramatic thing as you usually do. Just saying it's priced high for what it is.

Bmw parts don't even cost that much. A whole steering gear box isn't much more than that price you charge poor sq owners for a coupler. Lol

Some people got plenty of money and won't question the price. I for one will just make my own when that time comes. For like 50 bucks. Lol all good ..man glad you are making a good profit margin for your time dude . That's all I'm gonna say. Good day.