SoCal Losing Another Racetrack: Irwindale

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-irwindale-to-close-speedway-20150326-story.html

Talk about bonehead bogus BS move, politicians decide to shut down one of the only racetracks left with in the Los Angeles area. And for what? A freaking stupid OUTLET MALL!

Like we don't have enough damn malls in SoCal! We have so many damn malls I'm beginning to think all we are is consumers of crap.

We lost Long Beach Terminal Island years ago. Then we lost Los Angeles County Raceway (LACR). And now Irwindale.

We hear all this crap complaints from politcians and cops about the "damn street racers". But the dummies decide to shut down the only legal venues we have for motor sports.

There goes the house of drift, drag nights, drift nights, NASCAR. Etc. BRILLIANT!

end rant....thanks

Edited by louswheel

It's happening all over. It is really sad too. There is an old race track in West Virginia/Northern VA that used to be an old NASCAR circut track. I saw an ad for it on craigslist of all places and they want 10 million for it.

Thats insane.

It needs to be overhauled badly. Grass over grown, track cracked and busted up, stands rusty. If I was a billionaire I would buy it, refurbish it, and let people race it. Free saturday night meets, open to public, maybe hold an event once or twice a year. Possibly it would cut down on street racing and give people a safe place to have fun.

Everyone signs waivers. No exceptions.

The only racetracks that are left are the ones waaaay out in the middle of nowhere!

Willow Springs is an 1:30 hour drive hauling tail, almost 2 if you obey the law! lol.

The other is in Fontana, also 1:30 drove with no traffic.

Move to Texas...we're actually growing race tracks down here!

In SoCal, politicians and developers can't see a big location wihout salivating how they can benefit by redeveloping it into some crap like a mall.

Long Beach Terminal Island was my favorite track as a kid. Right by the ocean, all industrial area. But politicians claimed people far away in the neighborhoods could hear the noise from the track.

LA County Raceway got turned into a rock quary. Of all the damn open desert space in SoCal, they couldn't dig elsewhere?

We still have three racetracks left. Fontana, Rosamond, and Buttonwillow. All within an 1 to 2 hours drive.

Then there are smaller tracks. But those are the big ones off the top of my head.

Lol with all the bs rules,regulations,corruption ,cost of living ,why would anayone want to live in California.

Because despite the high cost of living, it's a freaking beautiful place. A multicultural landscape rich in diversity,

great food from all corners of the world, mountains, snow, beaches, desert and rivers.

During our "winter" you can go to the beach one day and the snow the next. How many other places in the world can you do that?

Oh, did I mention that the same cultural diversity also means beautiful women from all over the world?

As young man, I dateed woman from all over the world. Give me a globe map and I'll tell you the nationalities I've been into! lol

So yeah. The laws and politcians? That's anywhere you go. It's not like we're in a foreign land, it's still in the U.S.

Yeah the women here tend to be on the chunkie side but at least pot is legal now so

And what's wrong with chunky woman? Personally never really like them toothpick thin. But that's a whole other topic right there. :lol:

With how easily one can get pot in many parts of the country, seems like it might as well been legal long ago. Not that I endulge.

I guess I will just have to enjoy the race track a little more this year before it disappears. I've got Honduh friends who drag race there and friends in the rwd scene.

Sucks about the track. They'll probably rip down the track build a mall, it might be successful for a few years then go out of business sit vacant, and then get torn down again. Seems like it happens a lot where I live

Yeah the women here tend to be on the chunkie side but at least pot is legal now so

Pot is legal in Michigan?

Your SoCal crony politricktians might give NJ ones a run for their money. All they see is dollar signs from some retail monstrosity, pretty short sighted when national retail sales are in a slump and half the country is making 28K a year or less, that's working poor over here with that salary. I bet if a person looked into campaign donations to the Irwindale council, we'd find checks from the development firm building the mall.

Hopefully street racing will make a comeback in SoCal. Politricktians will love that too, gives an excuse for a ticket blitz and increased revenue.

Edited by Fuze

We still have three racetracks left. Fontana, Rosamond, and Buttonwillow. All within an 1 to 2 hours drive.

Then there are smaller tracks. But those are the big ones off the top of my head.

Ok I can feel my sympathy fading in 3, 2, 1... You guys are tripping over racetracks there apparently!

Edited by Fuze

Ok I can feel my sympathy fading in 3, 2, 1... You guys are tripping over racetracks there apparently!

Yout aint right man! :lol: No sympathy for a fellow StarQuester.

Yes there are still a few tracks in the SoCal area. But the ones closest to inner city LA are disappearing.

What happens then is the tracks that are left will be overloaded. We have a huge car culture here. If just a few car clubs decide they want to hit the track on the same day, the existing tracks will get like Disneyland, way over capacity.

To some degree I will agree we are spoiled. I can be in Irwindale Raceway within 30 minutes with no traffic and obeying the law.

The bigger tracks like Willow Springs 1:30 min and Buttonwillow abut 2. This speaking in terms of proximity to inner city. I'm just about 14 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Then of course there are tracks all over SoCal, in other counties. I guess I'm just griping over this one because it's so darn close to me.

Yout aint right man! :lol: No sympathy for a fellow StarQuester.

Yes there are still a few tracks in the SoCal area. But the ones closest to inner city LA are disappearing.

What happens then is the tracks that are left will be overloaded. We have a huge car culture here. If just a few car clubs decide they want to hit the track on the same day, the existing tracks will get like Disneyland, way over capacity.

To some degree I will agree we are spoiled. I can be in Irwindale Raceway within 30 minutes with no traffic and obeying the law.

The bigger tracks like Willow Springs 1:30 min and Buttonwillow abut 2. This speaking in terms of proximity to inner city. I'm just about 14 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Then of course there are tracks all over SoCal, in other counties. I guess I'm just griping over this one because it's so darn close to me.

It sucks to lose anything, but the closest track to me has always been an hour and a half away and that's a drag strip with a little drift track. The only other real track here is NJ motorsports park, brand new big money level road course. Still, over 2 hours driving with perfect conditions. Lemme tell you, I'd feel a lot better about driving the Starion a half hour to run it than driving it 2 hours one way and thinking about getting home the whole time lol. Damn I need an engine swap, I have G54BT PTSD!

Edited by Fuze

I think we all have G54 PTSD.

I just came from Irwindale, drift/ drag night. The pros were out there testing their set up before Formula D opening weekend at Long Beach Grand Prix.

Had a blast. Saw some pro drift cars with v8's and wicked large snails!

There is a race track out in Apple Valley, about 100 miles or so from Los Angeles. We maybe going out there for a full day of road racing and drift.

It's really nice to break out of the routine of the daily worker bee grind.