g54b at hks museum

tux

The only problem with "making more" is that those engines most likely aren't as good as they might be even now. With all of the advancements in technology and measurement abilities in flow, angles, etc You'd be better off just redesigning it completely.

Trust me...I've gone through this entire process and gone through options and it's just the best way. I've even spoken with the owner of two of these DOHC heads and they say they're not worth recreating as they can still be much improved.

On a side note...awesome find! It's still such a beautiful motor and head. HKS did a wonderful job.

- Charles

If I remeber correctly a member had a hks dohc head

You would be correct. He doesn't get on here anymore though. He lives in Oregon or Washington. Can't remember which.

I've spoken with him in depth about those heads and he said they weren't worth recreating because there are much more possibilities for improvement. He even said they still never perfected it as he has two of them, with one of them even having a "filler" to change compression ratio. Some components HKS designed, however, were quite ingenious such as a hydraulic upper tensioner for the TC.

- Charles

I have relations to a massively skilled machinist that builds only the most powerful engines for teams within the NHRA, National Tractor Pulls, Drag Bike Series, Street Outlaws, etc. He threw together some rough calculations using the G54B platform and estimated specs with a DOHC head.

By his calculations, he firmly states that he could make 800hp at ~20psi on a street tune with a DOHC head. There is more info to back this up, but I can only say but so much unless I have permission from he himself.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

I have relations to a massively skilled machinist that builds only the most powerful engines for teams within the NHRA, National Tractor Pulls, Drag Bike Series, Street Outlaws, etc. He threw together some rough calculations using the G54B platform and estimated specs with a DOHC head.

By his calculations, he firmly states that he could make 800hp at ~20psi on a street tune with a DOHC head. There is more info to back this up, but I can only say but so much unless I have permission from he himself.

- Charles

You forgot the 400hp worth of nitrous needed to get there. :lol:

nice little write up. the pics bring back memories of when I lived in Okinawa. Everything written in Japanese with a spattering of Engrish used in all the wrong ways.lol

Great pics of some great stuff.

so, will a DOHC G54B be too much for the purists?

You forgot the 400hp worth of nitrous needed to get there. :lol:

I think adding nitrous would omit it from being a "street" tune. Lol. I wouldn't believe it either unless I saw it. But he's done some stuff that's just straight up crazily amazing. I don't doubt his abilities and calculations. But I know he does some amazing work.

As for classified info, I will give only one hint as to the DOHC concept. There is some stuff in the making at the moment. It's been in the running for over a year now, but has been completely under wraps to keep away speculation, rants about some old threads where people got screwed years ago and etc.

That's all I can legally say so far. ;)

- Charles