Tool Shopping

Malykaii

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac255/malykaii/Mobile%20Uploads/0309151715_zps0go4yhvu.jpg

Did that ages ago. Well worth it. Now I get to do,it all over again in SAE for the trucks.

Im doing the same thing. Bought metric everything for years working on cars, now im buying it all sae to work on tractors and heavy equipment. Not to mention my 1/4" drive stuff is now pointless and is basically for tightening hose clamps. 3/8" is the new 1/4" and im buildi g stock in my 3/4" drive stuff. Had to have new impacts and all. Typical 1/2" impact doesnt cut it anymore. Those are for small bolts i used to think were big.

I can totally relate. However tractors are far more extreme. For package cars 1/4 still serves a purpose on all the electrical components like dashboards, engine sensors, and wiper motors... Stuff tractors don't really have.

So you say you had to upgrade your 1/2 set... Can you recommend a brand? I've been using the harbor freight impacts for 5 years on cars, but already broke two on truck work.

I can totally relate. However tractors are far more extreme. For package cars 1/4 still serves a purpose on all the electrical components like dashboards, engine sensors, and wiper motors... Stuff tractors don't really have.

So you say you had to upgrade your 1/2 set... Can you recommend a brand? I've been using the harbor freight impacts for 5 years on cars, but already broke two on truck work.

I've been using a lot of sunex and g.p.(Grey pneumatic). We've got an independent tool truck guy in the area that sells them. He had nice sets but I was worried about the quality as the do say made in China. He told me to take them and use them for a month and if I wasn't happy I didn't owe him for them. Couldn't pass that up. Had one set for about 10 years and haven't broken one yet. I bought damn near all my socket sets after that in sunex brand. Only downside is they are black impact sockets and slightly harder to see if you drop it compared to chrome.

Ironically you would be surprised how similar tractors are to cars and trucks. Still got sensors, modules, wiring harnesses, and dashboards. Fuel injection is very similar to GDI cars nowadays and the computer stuff is a bit different but relatively the same. I use a c.a.n. j1939 computer system instead of o.b.d. but its really all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care for country of origin, just quality. Good stuff also comes from China (such as my Cheness Cutlery katana) and crap comes from US (many Lisle tools) and Germany (VAG).

I was eying the GP and Sunex as many former coworkers from my car days had them. Just wasn't sure how they hold up on truck use. I even considered buying snap on sockets in the most used sizes, but read numerous complains of the square drive rounding out. Thanks for the advice, I'll buy a set.

Our trucks use obd2 and also have a round diagnostic port that hooks up to some laptop. I've never messed with it yet, but it's prob the j1939 thing.

Not that ya ever use it much... roll pin punches... but when ya do need em... nice

There are special punches for roll pins? Kewl.

Stethoscope is used every week as part of our trucks'annual inspectuon, checking for bearing noises on belt drive. H.F for the win here.

I thought you ment like extra shallow impact sockets and got excited. That would be a brilliant tool. Google says it doesn't exist. I almost bought that b.p. one but quit the car game. When starting out as a poor lube tech, I'd just wrap the craftsman chrome 3/8 in electrical tape and hit the gun gently. Worked well. $40 is a lot when making less then a barrista.

I'm not arguing the price being worth it or not. It's a decent piece. 5 years into My career it's pocket change.

Just as a starting up lube tech you get coins above minimum wage. In my case 50 cents more per hour over McD's... For a job requiring some skill level. That's a mere $25 more per week. Factor in tool expenses and now it's less than minimum wage. Sure in a way it's like paid training and you skip tech school, but your, landlord and stomach don't care.

If I couldn't do a job for lack of tool, report to boss... He says buy tools or go home. I say I need a raise. Boss lends me tool. I save $40 for gas and food. Gas was $4 a gallon then.

Why a lube tech can't have the best.

One reason I hate snap on's business model. Guy comes to shop bullying me with crap like a 5k box marked down to 2500 when I'm calling friends and family to borrow money for a dd car costing less than that and sales guy only has insults when I mention that.

One reason I hate snap on's business model. Guy comes to shop bullying me with crap like a 5k box marked down to 2500 when I'm calling friends and family to borrow money for a dd car costing less than that and sales guy only has insults when I mention that.

Sounds like the problem is your snap on man and not snap on. When I was still turning wrenches for a living I went through two different Snap on and one Matco guy, both were laid back and always offered the cheaper trade in boxes to the guys they knew couldn't afford new boxes. They were never pushy and didn't mind taking no for answer.

Edited by 93 GSX TURBO

everytime I go to harbor Freight I see some tool shopping

Harbor Fright is every faithful tool guy's dirty side-chick. When you need a tool for one job, sometimes you end up using it for years. It's hard to beat.

Edited by Fuze

idk man most of the harbor freight hand tools last about an hour. I've had impact hammers fall apart in my hand on the first use. pry bars bend instead of actually prying. and wrenched and sockets just crack in half.

Theres certain tools you dont buy from them and you named most of them. I dont mind their sanders, grinders, cut off tools and some of their diagnostic tools (compressior,leak down etc.). With air tools as long as you oil them regularly, they will last.

Ive found that the Auto Zone brand hand tools are actually dam stout and not pricey at all.

Edited by 93 GSX TURBO

I just get snap on ratchets. craftmen sockets. and gear wrench or matco or bluepoint or cornwell wrenches. they all seem to be about the same. oh, and screw drivers, strictly german steel, they are the only ones that the tips don't round off quickly.

I've got a HF electric impact gun and impact socket set, still going strong and no more breaker bars to take wheels off. No complaints yet. Can't lie, I have a bunch of their stuff scattered around including an engine crane, engine stand, haven't broken any of that stuff yet, knock on wood. My favorite ratchet is a 1/2" Husky (SK clone), I like the handle and it still works fine after being used as a temporary hammer. Would I pay 5X as much for the SK? I'd love a bunch of SK tools but I'd rather save the money and put it in the car. Edited by Fuze