Bring Back The Mitsubishi Starion

NikoFab

Even if Mitsubishi were to bring back a sports car "hypothetically" I highly doubt they would use the Starion name as well as 3000GT. The Starion is too obscure of a car to "resurrect" and the 3000GT was not a planned name in the first place. It's a take off of the engine size since they couldn't use the GTO name like they wanted. It would be an all new name from who knows what.

Naw just release it like it looks now. Update the interior and throw a nice 280hp 4b11 setup in there. Sell it in the 25k price range fully loaded

This. Then we would have updated internals and stuff to swap into our old bodies :)

I'm glad there are a bunch of these tree hugger cars, keeps gas prices down even though it's not actually "greener" than fixing something that already exists. Not buying one anytime soon...

Demand usually is what lowers prices, so more electrics would mean higher gas prices in a normal situation. Gas isn't a normal situation though, the price is manipulated by the international banks usually for political purposes. It's low right now because they want to shaft Russia and also to make it look like people are spending more money shopping because they have more money in their wallet... just ways to protect the failing dollar. But it's not working.

I agree with Malykaii that the name Starion... nobody knows what a Starion is and if a new one came out tomorrow, people would not remember the old car it got it's name from. Sports coupes are a niche market and are usually used to get people into dealers to buy cheaper, more practical cars in the lineup. Remember when every comopany dropped their sports coupes in the 90's? The first one to make a comeback was the Z brand, because every idiot knows what a Z is so it could help sell new ones. It sometimes even makes sense to have that car out on the lot even when it's a money loser, just for brand image. Mitsu has no chance of doing that with a Starion, sadly the most recognizable make they had in the US was the Eclipse, now just a cheap ugly hairdresser car. I think they're happy letting Hyundai take the risk and providing powertrains to them for the Genesis.

Edited by Fuze

I thought the Japanese and Koreans didn't play nice with each other. I read that somewhere mostly regarding the battery technology the Koreans have developed

Hyundai has been using Mitsu engines for a lot of the cars for a long time. A lot of the old motors look like NA 4Gxx-based mitsu motors. If you look at an old Hyundai a lot of the other parts are interchangeable too. I have a brake reservoir cover from an old Sonata. God I love junkyards.

Any new car with the Starion name will inevitably be a disappointment to true Starion enthusiasts. Plus the Starion name isn't well known enough to be an exciting revival for sales.

As cool as it would be to get a new retro Starion, I doubt it would ever be designed the way we want, and I doubt it'll ever happen period.

:(

Even if every member on here bought one, that wouldn't make a profit.

Now more realisticly. Many members on here don't even have the money to buy tires for their car, but will max out their credit card to put a 500$ hood on a 1k$ car. I don't think most of us are capable of understanding what somebody wants in a new car. (Like if I had 30k to drop on a car,it would never be a mitsu)

These discussions always resemble old white men discussing women's rights and black issues.

• Like 1

And if everyone thinks that an affordable sports car from mitsu will sell well, why don't we see many subaru brz and genesis coupe on the road.

Uh in Charleston SC where i live there are a ton of brz/frs and genesis owners. I mean a ton. I see 3 or 4 of each everyday. I live near the naval weapons station though so thats probably why. Mitsu could make a car like the Starion but if they didnt turbo it i doubt it would sell.

And if everyone thinks that an affordable sports car from mitsu will sell well, why don't we see many subaru brz and genesis coupe on the road.

Also, sports cars are a limited market, targetting an age group that generally does not have funds to buy new cars as a whole, so you only get the higher economic class of that target market. There's several GenCoupes on the Airbase here in Tucson, for example. I own a GenCoupe, too (which I bought used).

Edited by averse