Engine buidling

992gnt

So, I have no idea where to put this, so here it is.

I've been reading threads on performance builds using the G54b. It's kind of depressing. But something is not adding up in my mind so, since I'm new to this platform, I'd figure I should start by asking some questions. It seems unfathomable to me that these cars have such a hard time getting above 400 whp. Below is a hypothetical build, what am I missing here? This should do 400 EASY at around 25 psi. Right?? If not, why not?

G54b

stock crank and rods

9.5:1 pistons

BSE

lightly ported head, jet valves removed, aftermarket cam

SMIM or equivalent, running EFI, ~950cc injectors (guessing, haven't done the math yet)

1g engine wiring harness, DSMlink with CAS in place of the distributor

tubular exhaust manifold

MHI 20g

3" turbo back exhaust

I'm not trying to build a drag car here, but 350 hp would make this the slowest car I own! I'm not trying to infer anything, or show any disrespect to those that have "been there and done that", so please enlighten me.

The only thing I see in your list that might be difficult to get ahold of is the 9.5:1 pistons. The other thing I notice is the idea of using an "eclipse" setup for doing an mpi car has only been done by a few people and only one that I know of personally. His car was right around 500 hp so I am in agreement with you, it shouldn't be hard to reach the goals your expecting.

Keep in mind, I'm by no means an expert in this area(far from it in fact lol).

I'm sure the pistons would have to be custom, but I'd guess anything other than stock would be anyway. Good to hear there's some cars out there that are making good power, without being totally outrageous (whatever that means lol).

i believe people are making that with the 8:1 wiseco's dad sells at www.enginemachineservice.com

rather then modifying a DSM CAS to work just use a mighty max dizzy. it is basically the same thing.

just need a spacer of .223 inch.

Here is a link with pics and year make model of what Dizzy to use.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113656&hl=%2Bdizzy+%2Bspacer

Hope this helps.

ALSO The YoshiFab high res disk for megasquirt will help as well.

http://yoshifab.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=46

:ph34r:

I'm aware of that, yes. I'm asking the question to find out why no one has done it. Maybe the rest of the engine can't handle it. Maybe no one has tried. Maybe they tried to do it with the TBI and distributor and couldn't control ignition and knock retard well enough to keep it alive. No one has said any of that yet, so i'll keep asking.

The G54b is a non-interference design. Higher compression can change that and takes more effort to pull off since you have to account for where/when valve movement. That's probably the biggest reason. Most people don't want to get that involved into it and just use more boost to get to the same final compression.

If you Get a chance talk yo starquestrescue.

He has possibly the most data log information on this site.

He can show you screen shots on just about anything you need to know.

He is the TBi king for horsepower.

4cylfury ran a 5.9x in the 8th with a stock head no port work on the head.

Valve and valve springs I have no idea but it is a stock head.

Go to war stories to see his vids. Some great runs.

Plenty have done higher compression on the g54, just,not here. There's a 20 page thread called the turbo swap bible and plenty of documentation in the early days of swapping station stuff into monteros. Many got creative or lazy and tried to just bolt on the intake and exaust manifolds to the n/a block with 8.7:1 cr. Results were always meh. Some even began to mess with recalibrating the ignition curve with different springs for the distributor, and still no go. You do bring up that it can be throttle body issue and with a fully programmable trimming curve it might work... But why.

I see you want to shoot for reasonable power levels and sounds like you have the funds to do it... So why not stop peeing against the wind and do it right. Sure you could prove a point that it can be done but at the end of the day it's a 30 year old fork lift motor. Plus it's bolted to transmissions that barely last at stock power. Hell I had a km series trans die on me in my 90hp suv. Why not just engine swap and be done?

Why not? I'm not out to prove anything to anybody. I have a spare 4g63 on a stand. Easier? Maybe. More fun? Unlikely. The road less traveled is always more interesting, at least for me. Swaps are cool, don't get me wrong, but I do like being different.

Well I can say that you are on the path for being different by just owning a quest. :)

I say if you want the challenge then go for it. Like you said, do the math, before hand so the head doesnt blow off.