help stranded

NstyN8

I believe the fuel pump went out on my new to me 87 conquest. Its on the side of the highway. Curious how hard it is to change and what after market one would be worth getting. Previous owner said he put a walboro on but im thinking maybe not now. Any advice wuld be appreciated!!

You have to drop the tank to change it.

For a stock replacement an airtex A1000 can be had at any parts store for about $100. You can get a walbro 255 for about the same price but it pumps almost 3x what a stock car needs.

Its to big a job to do in a parking lot..Get a friend with a truck and rent a u haul trailer and pay him some money.......(tow car backwards!!! ) LSD diff doesn't like to be towed..... its in service manual instructions ( how to tow it)........or flat bed truck....... Edited by markhansenconquest

I wouldn't try it, unless you KNOW it's the problem and you have the ability to drain the fuel safely, and you have the proper tools, and another person to help. Pretty easy in a garage, but you can also kink some lines if you rush it. Tow it like vbrad said

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Father in law is gonna help me tow it back to his place and hes gonna let me use his garage....will probably never hear the end of it now lol. Wife is already pissed that I bought it. She said I knew this was going to happen. Oh well i still like the car. Ill properly introduce myself later but thanks again for the help everyone!

I wouldn't try it, unless you KNOW it's the problem and you have the ability to drain the fuel safely, and you have the proper tools, and another person to help. Pretty easy in a garage, but you can also kink some lines if you rush it. Tow it like vbrad said

Im pretty sure this is the problem it was extremely loud for a while and then just stopped working. I was on the way to buy a new one anyways.

In the summer time weak pumps can stop working in the heat of the day and come back to life once the temps have dropped. You may be able to limp it home

will probably never hear the end of it now lol. Wife is already pissed that I bought it. She said I knew this was going to happen.

We have all been through that! I just tell them to kick rocks. It's my car and my $$. I will do as I see fit with it.

And like I tell every new girlfriend. The cars were here before you and they will be here after you if need be ;)

Welcome!! Hope you got it straightened out

• Like 1

disconnect all fuel lines no need to cut them... tank drops with fill neck installed. it just tight fit around the rubber part. no need to drain tank. use a floor jack and a 2 by 4 on jack center it up and have a helper steady the tank when lowering... this is only if it has a lot of gas in it. also check the filter in the tank. (remove sending unit) and check the cone filter in the inlet side of fuel pump hose... they usually plug up if it is still in the hose. they can be cleaned and re installed... or throw it away. Walbro makes a kit for direct replacement.

Rubber side down

disconnect all fuel lines no need to cut them... tank drops with fill neck installed. it just tight fit around the rubber part. no need to drain tank. use a floor jack and a 2 by 4 on jack center it up and have a helper steady the tank when lowering... this is only if it has a lot of gas in it. also check the filter in the tank. (remove sending unit) and check the cone filter in the inlet side of fuel pump hose... they usually plug up if it is still in the hose. they can be cleaned and re installed... or throw it away. Walbro makes a kit for direct replacement.

Rubber side down

Some aftermarket pumps are NOT compatible with the cone filter. It blocks the inlet on the pump restricting flow and causing low fuel pressure under boost. Throw it away.

Put aftermarket filter before pump ..or new pump will GO bad soon (use to catch rust and dirt in system )......autozone ( FF3-8DL-3/8 dura last brand see- thru plastic) use hose clamps or it will leak...Run for a few months to trap all the rust and then replace filter with metal one ....don't trust plastic ...A/Zone has metal one,, just don't know the part number......mitsu filter #MB129890 is for in tank filter...while tank is down clean it out ....If fuel system has dirt and RUST new pump will break soon.......it has to be done sooner or later...
  • Like 1

Put aftermarket filter before pump ..or new pump will GO bad soon

That's just not true. My pumps haven't failed and I don't use a filter before the pump. Just the OEM strainer like almost all cars come with. In fact I ran a holley black pump on my old Ford with no filter or strainer before the pump and it never failed.

If you have dirt and rust getting into your pump then no filter is going to fix the problem. A rusty gas tank and rusty fuel lines don't magically get better when you add a filter. You need to address those issues or you WILL have constant pump, injector and filter issues that will only get worse as the system rusts out completely.

Thanks for all the help everyone. The previous owner said he had the tank cleaned out and coated so hopefully there isn't any rust in it. The outside has definitely been coated so hopefully the inside matches. We'll see though he said the Walbro wouldn't ever go bad either lol. Again thanks for the help! I won't be tackling the Pump until I get back home from Alaska. Heading up there for work for about 20 days. I will let you all know how it goes once i get started. Thanks again!!

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't he disconnect the fuel feed and run power to the fuel pump test connector by the maf first before changing the pump

Definitely makes sense to test the pump per the FSM before going in and changing it. Basic diags should be done to make sure it's not an ignition problem.

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriend can't say s anymore since her stupid cat ate dog food and got kidney stones and almost died.she rushed it in to the animal hospital $1800 later it's all better.

Nice timing...Now if only something like that happened to me to offset my buy of ANOTHER Starion...