New to conquest-already neck deep in it

scottsteele

I'm from Mississippi, me and my 14 year old son was looking for a father/son project for his first car. Something we could work on together and he could learn about the vehicle at the same time. We found a 87 wide body Fiji blue roller. He loved the car, he chose this 1987 for his first vehicle. I found this forum the day we bought the car, and the last three weeks I've poured over it gathering information. So far I've bought a 5.0 and a t5 at a bargain. Thanks for all the valuable information and I'll update the build as I go. He gets his permit in October, hope to have it going by then. I'll try to get a pic of it posted soon. Edited by scottsteele

Awesome first car dude! He will definitely be the kid with the coolest car in the parking lot! My first car was an s-10 with a 350 small block chevy. Good times I remember those days. Good luck with the build. Make sure it's reliable! I beat the crap out of my s10 when I was that age lol

I travel a lot with my job, I am going to go through it and make it as reliable as I can for him while I'm gone. Here is a picture of him with it. I have the piece missing in the front, and I also got an extra set of 16x9 rear wheels. Interior is perfect. I'm not going to cut corners, but I am trying to shop smart and do this on a budget.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o218/thopper74/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5a28d557.jpg

Thanks, I hope he does the same thing and keeps it. The only problem I see is me wanting to take it away from him lol. And I don't want to come across as one who thinks a motor swap is necessary. This car just didn't come with anything, and a 5.0 seems easier and cheaper. If I had the stock motor and transmission I'd leave it alone.

Welcome, i just pulled my gas tank to fix a hole and flush it out. Glad i did wile i was powerwashing it out i found pin holes allover the top half of the tank. Not to mention the sludge still in the bottom after i pulled the drain plug when i got it. Good luck

Your son has great taste. I just hope he doesn't have a heavy foot, like most people that age. I hate to see him slip, sliding away and getting himself or someone else hurt and wrecking the car. Good luck with the build.

Thanks, I've already threatened him 100 times. We have gps trackers on our work vehicles, I've told him one is going on the car and I can always see how fast he has been etc. Right now he is buying it. But once the car is complete, if it's crazy fast I won't put him in it. He learned how to drive a standard at 12, so I'm working with him.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, I'm working on gathering up all the things for the motor swap. I do have a question for those of you who have done the ABS delete. When I bought the car most everything under the hood was removed, including brake lines. I have looked at the service manual(and searched the site), and think the two lines in the picture is what I need to tie together, is this correct? Thanks http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o218/thopper74/brakelines_zps4a109436.jpg

• 1 month later...
You need to make a line from where those go into the master cylider one on top to the one on bottom I believe then you can yank those ugly lines out its been a while there was someone one here who made lines I made mine from a 1994 honda accord line lol if you have the flare tool do it yourself if not take it somewhere to be made It has to be flexable enough to form it into place, the abs were horrible from factory one of the first things i did was this, On the other hand if you want just rear abs I have the abs module and the sensor for it that plugs in the trunk just throwing that out there. PS look up Oscars ABS delete on here and you will get detailed instructions

Welcome and your car is a 88 model year which is a big plus having the 6 bolt axles as apposed to the earlier models 4 bolt configuration and super strong rear end , ideal for a v8 swap , all figi cars are 88/9 models and ya gotto love that color Edited by SOTTY

Welcome and great first car man.all you have to do for The abs delete is make a line from the master cylinder down to the proportioning valve and remove the rest of the old lines.any questions message me I have pics man. Edited by nta4g63

Congrats on the Fiji!!! Great find and a great father/son project. Yea keep him scared with the GPS. I've threatened my daughter with it and she's been good (so far) She's got a '02 v6 camry and hasn't figured out how to mash the pedal to the floor yet. She thinks my 4 banger Outlander is quicker.lol

Keep the pics coming.and Welcome aboard

Had a Q&A on ABS delete on a parts thread of mine.

I haven't done it yet, but i've bought the necessary parts.

part #'s, pictures, and some explanation here:

http://www.starquest...pic=142188&st=0

bottom of first page, and most of the second page,

hope it helps

Edited by Squrlsquash