Steering Coupler replacment U-Joint Update #7 9/27/14 4th page

BC_99

Soon guys...soon.

I have one of the parts and an extra steering shaft at work with one of our manual machinists. He is helping me with the drill fixture. So, right now, I am waiting on a few pieces for the fixture to arrive and we should be ready to get this batch drilled and installed in a couple of cars for some test miles and then I will be ready to release them out into the wild. Hugo, you are one the cars I plan to install one of these on for testing, so I will be in touch in the next couple of weeks.

Now, to you guys that aren't local to me, I will be starting a new thread in the for sale section once I am ready to offer these to the public. It will be a first paid, first served basis. When I get these sold I will order the next batch and that should take a week or 2 at most, to have them in my hands and a quick turn around on my end to sell them. And so on and so on until everyone that needs one or more, has them. Thanks everyone for the support and patience. I look forward to you all being able to drive safer cars with less free play in your steering.

BC_99

Quick update,

The rest of the pieces I have been waiting on, for the drill fixture, arrived today. As well as the bolts and nuts that you guys will be receiving with the U-Joint. Everything measures out really well with the digital calipers, so tomorrow I should have an idea on how long it will be to machine and build this fixture. After that, it's just install a couple locally, and then see how they perform. More to come soon!

BC_99

Just curious how tight of a turn will that coupler safely run at? I was just wondering because that would be excellent to use in a rack and pinion set up for the first joint. 35 degrees would be awesome. It looks great so far too, keep up the good work!

i believe i will no longer need this as i'm doing an ls1 swap and i believe the steering will have to be altered.... if someone new comes in and wants one please give them my spot...if that doesn't happen then i will still go ahead with the purchase as to not leave you hanging

• 3 weeks later...

i believe i will no longer need this as i'm doing an ls1 swap and i believe the steering will have to be altered.... if someone new comes in and wants one please give them my spot...if that doesn't happen then i will still go ahead with the purchase as to not leave you hanging

Thanks for the heads up. but as stated before, there are no "spots". I just needed an guesstimate to make sure there would be enough interest to bother with it.

Now for the update:

I had a disagreement with my machinist regarding the drill fixture, and after a few conversations, I concluded that he was more interested in making things way harder than they needed to be. He wanted me to have potential buyer disassemble their steering columns and send the shafts to me for fitment of the U-joint. So, after the 3rd time I told him that was NOT an option, I dropped him and got with a different machinist and got the fixture that I needed made. I brought it home tonight and drilled the first 2 prototype pieces and did trial fitment on my bench fixture. It all went very well, and I hope to have one on a car and running by next weekend. It depends on my schedule and the schedule of the local guys that are willing test subjects.

Here are some new pics.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141027_183207_zpsezz5jv9g.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141027_182721_zpsozulewwi.jpg

Things are coming together at last. Thanks everyone for your patience.

BC_99

Awesome, will you have instructions to install once its ready for sale? Looks like its right before the adjusting nut on the steering box? Should be easy to install?

Check the 2nd post of the first page for a step by step walk thru on install. It fits very similarly (dimensions) as the stock coupler. It won't be a cake walk on cars with engines and everything in place, but it is doable.

Looks AWESOME!!!! cant wait

Thanks Hugo. Let me know when you get your brakes sorted out and have a day to come over so we can get your car on the lift and get one of these installed so you can test it out for me, and give me and the rest of these guys some feedback on it.

BC_99

Whenever these are ready and I buy one I will do a write up with the motor and everything installed. It looks to me as if there are two options. Remove the brake master cylinder or do it from the bottom and drop the gear box down. I work at a shop and have access to a lift which makes things easy.

One thing is 100 percent certain is that you will need to get the car realigned either way. If our couplers have play in them then your toe setting is probably not 100 percent in spec/dead center.

Whenever these are ready and I buy one I will do a write up with the motor and everything installed. It looks to me as if there are two options. Remove the brake master cylinder or do it from the bottom and drop the gear box down. I work at a shop and have access to a lift which makes things easy.

One thing is 100 percent certain is that you will need to get the car realigned either way. If our couplers have play in them then your toe setting is probably not 100 percent in spec/dead center.

I agree, a lift will make the job way more tolerable. Thank God I have one. However, I went about this project with the mindset, that most of these guys will have to make this swap, in their garage or driveway on jack stands. I do intend to do an amended write up after I install these on a couple of local cars (one manual and one auto) that are complete and driving. But, please do offer any and all advice or critiques you can when you do the job also. It will only be beneficial to everyone who does this swap in the future.

Great point about the toe. It most likely will need some attention after the swap is done. I will take some measurements, before and after, with the cars I use for test subjects and report the findings. I'm glad you mentioned that.

BC_99

Any idea on what angle these couplers will run at if they are not used in a Stock application?

I have no clue. You should be able to research the angle capabilities of any other steering u-joint on the market and it will tell you what you need to know. I'm not sure why you would be considering this one though. If you are going with a custom application, you can definitely find cheaper options.

BC_99

Check the 2nd post of the first page for a step by step walk thru on install. It fits very similarly (dimensions) as the stock coupler. It won't be a cake walk on cars with engines and everything in place, but it is doable.

Thanks Hugo. Let me know when you get your brakes sorted out and have a day to come over so we can get your car on the lift and get one of these installed so you can test it out for me, and give me and the rest of these guys some feedback on it.

BC_99

awesome!! yea I will let you know when am up and running

Should be no different than replacing stock coupler. just pull column. in and out of myshop was 4 hours when I did mine. Looks good BC

Should be no different than replacing stock coupler. just pull column. in and out of myshop was 4 hours when I did mine. Looks good BC

Agreed, that is the idea. Pulling the column will make it an easier proposition for a lot of guys, but i hope it is doable without pulling the column. I will certainly try it both ways and report the findings. thank you, Randy.

BC_99

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another quick update.

The first coupler replacement is installed on a vehicle and fixed one heck of a lot of steering play in this ole 87. But, as luck would have it, the darn slave cylinder crapped out on the car as I was pulling into my shop to swap the coupler out. So, I am waiting on a new slave cylinder to arrive so I can put some test miles on this car out on the road.

Now, as Dad mentioned earlier, the best and really only option I saw for this job once I had the car on the lift is to pull the steering column. I was really hoping it could be done the way my write up was suggesting, but after looking at it, the brake booster and stuff would have to be removed to even attempt it. So, thanks to Randy for the experienced advice as always. I will be making amendments to the "How to install" write up very soon. And after a few miles are put in on this one, I will begin to offer them for sale. Stay tuned....

Here are a few pics

The test car.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141107_140144_zpsi3bgplce.jpg

The coupler location from beneath the car....No chance of changing it out on a complete car the way I had hoped.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141107_151319_zps0ax6vcgm.jpg

What was left of the stock coupler that came out with the steering column.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141107_161530_zpspjtxixlh.jpg

That looks MUCH better right?

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141107_162915_zpsyeclljol.jpg

The remains of the stock coupler laid out for inspection. This thing was dangerous.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20141107_163448_zpsbj9z6s3a.jpg

BC_99

Edited by BC_99