Steering Coupler replacment U-Joint Update #7 9/27/14 4th page

BC_99

Update???

I am still waiting to hear more back from my contact. He called about a week and a half back and said that the manufacturer is still waiting to get the broach back from the heat treating people. He did inform me that they have already machined the blanks to be punched, so as soon as they get the tooling all back in house they will be making the parts. I hope to have some in the next week or so, but honestly, I cant say for certain, as I am at the mercy of their schedule.

I am interested also. Are they gonna make extra for stocking for people that can't afford them right away? Sorry if this questions been asked but I doesn't see it

This is a product that will most likely be available long term. I plan to order 15-20 up front, and finish up the R&D on my end, and then get a few on local cars and put a few miles on them. After I have sufficient feedback from those few, I will be putting the rest up for sale on a first pay, first receive basis. When those are all sold, I will start looking into another order for more. Turn around at that point should only be a week or two, as the manufacturer should have them in stock.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

BC I'm still down for a coupler whenever they are ready.

Great. Keep an eye on this thread and I will update it as progress continues. When they are ready to be sold I will start a new for sale thread. Thanks for supporting this effort.

BC_99

Since I am in the market for another Starion/Conquest, and like my last one, the coupler will most likely need to be replaced; put me on the list BC. Great work. I have seen a lot of people pushing for more aftermarket support of the SQ since '13 when I had mine. The wonders a year will do. This next one I buy I plan to do some R&D for some parts I want to manufacture with it. So I may buy a shell as well for my purposes. Depends on what I find and my space limitations.

It is going to take passionate owners like us to continue to use innovation and imagination to keep these cars on the road. I'm just trying to do my part. I hope more guys start to think about some of these much needed solutions for themselves. It is going to take a community effort to keep us all rollin in the years to come.

BC_99

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

I spoke with my contact today and the broaches are finally back from the heat treating and plating folks and our parts are being made now. I should start seeing some rolling in within the next week or so.

BC_99

Well, I finally have some good news. The first batch of parts are done. My order shipped today and I should have them Monday-ish. Look for updates sometime next week as I get back into the final stages of fitting them and finishing up my "how to" post on the first page.

BC_99

Lemme tell all you peeps out there in SQ land , if your planning on keeping your Starion/Conquest long term / for life and in for the long haul till death do you part your going to need one of BB99's couplers, this part has been NLA for years now and used ones command the same or close to what BC is going to ask , so look beyond today and think of tomorrow , at some point YOU WILL need this part , buy a new one , even if your now 20 plus year old o.e.m is not worn out just now and still working fine for the moment you will be replacing it at some point in the future.

Any word on the finished product really need one, almost sold mine because of the unsafe feeling of loose steering, put me down for one also

I will be picking them up on Friday. I have a week or so left of work to do with the R&D, and I should be able to start selling some. Thanks for your interest.

BC_99

• Like 1

Ok folks,

I have good news. I have the first order in my possession. I got 15 pieces for the first batch and have started preliminary test fitting, and Im glad to say, that so far it all looks very promising. I have ordered all of the drill bits and drill guide bushings I think I will need to do the final leg of this project with, which is to create a drill fixture to make the new u-joint fit with a bolt/nut to the existing pin hole in the end of the steering shaft.

Here is a teaser picture

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20140927_160256_zpsjcqmiciq.jpg

I hope to make a lot more progress this upcoming week and hopefully, I will be installing one in the next 2 weeks on a car for some test drives, and then they will be ready to hit the market to you patient folks. Cost came back higher than I hoped, but still less than I feared. It is looking like when they are ready, I will be able to sell these at around $150 shipped for a bolt in solution to that sloppy worn out steering coupler.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

I've been watching this thread wondering how the final product was going to look, and it looks excellent!!!! Only question i have is about the phillips screws being used, are they a back up saftey retainer for the u-joint?

I've been watching this thread wondering how the final product was going to look, and it looks excellent!!!! Only question i have is about the phillips screws being used, are they a back up saftey retainer for the u-joint?

Yes sir. Just a precautionary back up measure that the manufacturer uses on all of their u-joints. And they do manufacture a lot of them, worldwide. Strangely enough, our steering box shares a spline count and size with some equally unique European cars. I think Opel was one of them.

BC_99