88 Starion split in half in violent crash in Miami today

billbosh

Hi- today (Sunday 3/23) an '88 Starion was crashed into by a fleeing car theft suspect and split in half. The driver of the Starion walked away with just a bloody lip, but the two suspects are in critical condition.

Hope this wasn't anybody on the list, but either way it's sad when a Starquest is removed from service

http://www.miamihera...njured-car.html

-Bill B.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad the quest owner made it out alive. These cars truly give their lives for owners.

I wanted to started a topic about starquests and accidents.

I have not heard of any actual conquest/starion where the driver died in the accident.

I'm glad he is ok! Yeah Starions are built like a tank. They must have been really moving to shear off the front of the SQ.

Edit: Oh wow I just read the article. it seems the Starion hit the tree after the other car hit it. The driver of the SQ is really lucky to have walked away from that with so few injuries!

Edited by Dred_85.5_TSI

Wow ... unbelievable. I'm speechless. Definitely gives you pause. Can't believe the car ripped like that. Glad he's OK and it's the jerks that got hurt. Seems like too often it's the other way around.

Yeah, thank GOD he is ok...he is one of my friends here in miami...awesome guy and a starquest lover

Sucks man , i'm amazed he walked away from this with only minor injuries and looked to be a very nice , well kept Starion too before this dreadful event , i wish your friend a speedy recovery and sorry for the loss of his obvious "pride and joy'.

Yeah, he loved that car as much as his other 2 but this one look new lol...and he just told me tomorrow morning he is going to the hospital and now he needs another starquest asap to work on it.....lol... Edited by prototype78

Encouraging that our SQ can provide high level protection. Safe to say there was quite a bit of luck + some divine intervention on this one though.

I was gonna say the same. Some devine intervention for sure. That car looks really bad. I've seen people die in much lesser accidents.

That G54 is toast. Maybe head ok, block is a gonner.

I have to chuckle as some of the guys saying this is a testament of the safety of the car. The firewall is completely ripped out of the car and the driver, by a lot of luck, walks away with mild injuries. I'd say this one is a pretty poor testament for the car because the containment cell didn't stay intact.

If you look where it impacted, the tree took out the leading edge of the passenger door. I seriously doubt someone would have walked away if they were in that seat.

Edited by Maxzillian

I don't think they crash test that kind of impact today, let alone 25+ years ago. The fact remains he walked away and the two in the sentra (arguably a much more modern/safe car) are in critical condition.

Seems like I have seen a black conquest that hit a guard rail and folded in half

As in both front and rear tires touched.

And it seems these cars tend to lose the fire wall. Weird

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/bad/bad170.jpg

Edited by Burton

I don't think they crash test that kind of impact today, let alone 25+ years ago. The fact remains he walked away and the two in the sentra (arguably a much more modern/safe car) are in critical condition.

They actually do a side impact test, looks like since the 2011 model year:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/11/12/automobiles/12pole-span/articleLarge.jpg

Concerning the Sentra, without knowing in what fashion the car wrecked and whether or not they were wearing seat belts, no conclusion can be drawn.

Edited by Maxzillian

^ that side impact is on the door. Starions have crash beams in the doors for just that reason. Its like the small overlap front impact tests they do now that many cars have had trouble with. Even new computer simulated/real world design can obviously be found lacking depending on the test/impact.

^ that side impact is on the door. Starions have crash beams in the doors for just that reason. Its like the small overlap front impact tests they do now that many cars have had trouble with. Even new computer simulated/real world design can obviously be found lacking depending on the test/impact.

If you look at the photos, the car got hit near the end of the dash on the passenger side or just behind it.

Still, my point stands. To say the car is safe because this one guy walked away from this one wreck is naive. If you were to ask me why I thought he survived, I'd say it was because when the car took the hit on the passenger side, the car tore away from the driver rather than collasping around him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to hang up my keys tomorrow on the premise that the car is "unsafe", but this is a terrible example to use if you were going to prove that the car was safe or safer than other examples.