looking for input on the volkswagen gti

G54Bstore

its a Volkswagen gti ..turbo ,5 speed 90k for 14k out the door after all transfer costs.

let me know what you guys think .

its stock

i need help cause thats alot of cash

feedback plz

Hard call IMO. I guess if it was mint then that might be a fair deal. I would think you get could it cheaper if you haggled a bit. I look at it this way - It's out of warranty & close to 100K miles. I'm sure you be putting a little into it soon just in maintenance. Color, any other details?

I dunno about that.. Seems kinda steep to me. My buddy had an 06 Jetta GLI farenheight edition and he took a pretty big hit when he traded it in. He only got like 4,300 out of it or something like that and it was in really nice shape.

I think there are better ways for you to spend 14k lol

My experiences with VWs are hit or miss. Some people have really good luck with them and really like them. Others can't have a month go by without having to put serious money into them. I also have a friend who's a VW mechanic and he told me that anyone that mods one without doing their own work is out of their mind or has really deep pockets. Personally I'm not interested in buying what's essentially the German version of a Ford.

All that said, most of my experiences are with the previous generation of cars and I hear the newer ones are much better. It's still wrong wheel drive, so I could never say buy one as a serious performance car, but I could see buying one as a grocery getter.

If you really like them or have had good luck with them, go ahead and buy it (although I think 14k is too much for those miles. I'd try to haggle it down to like 9k).

But if you really like it, you'll buy it no matter what anyone else says ; ]

yeah thanx guys i agree its wrong wheel drive and to much money

allthough its for the wife i still think its a bad deal thinking about it now

thanx for talking me out of that lmafo

I pretty much hate Ford... I wouldn't go to the emergency room if I was bleeding to death in a Ford ambulance but a lot of their eco-boost cars get really good gas mileage and have a little guts. I can tell you this, as I have painted cars at a Ford dealership. Pick the car you want, get all the financing done, then look in every door jamb crevice and corner for thin paint and scratches before you do any final document signing. It's more than likely you can find flaws on every panel of the car and get it painted fresh before you pick up the car, which is a way better paint warranty than the factory warranty. Factory warranty is like five years, a dealer paint job is life time....

Ford Focus ST, it's basically a Mazda Speed 3. 252 ponies and you can find them for rather cheap with a 30k or less. Or Hyundai Sonata, they turbo and pushing like 270HP, engine is said to be related to the Evo.

I would stay away from the VW's, they are needy cars. Geman engineering blows, electrical crap goes and quite often.

Edited by louswheel01

Wrx sounds like a decent option.We are still looking for something with a little cool factor.there's tons of Honda and crap but i want something cool..not even looking at fords. .I got bad luck with those...still taking ideas if anyone throws them out there.

I dunno about that.. Seems kinda steep to me. My buddy had an 06 Jetta GLI farenheight edition and he took a pretty big hit when he traded it in. He only got like 4,300 out of it or something like that and it was in really nice shape.

I think there are better ways for you to spend 14k lol

Couldn't would have had to have been an 07 farenheight were only 2007 and they do nothing for value other then privat sale trade could give a crap there 1 of 1200...... also Jetta's are way less desirable then GTI's

As far as the price it's WAY to high for my taste with that kind of miles..... I bought mine 2007 with under 20K on it for 15K. It is a farenheight.

Whoever thinks the ST is faster is crazy.... I pund them into nothingness especially in the 60 MPH + range and 100+ it's not even worth trying VS the GTI but I have a DSG and that helps allot at high speed.

ANOTHER MAJOR red flag....... they didn't come with a 5 speed it's 6 speed manaul or 6 speed DSG for a GTI. Are you sure it's a real GTI?

As for owner ship. I love it, the FWD is liveable (can't immagin not having limited slip though) Only thing that is not liveable and this might just be for me...... the stupid electronic stearing. There is 0 feel in the wheel. You could hit a hole and rip a wheel off and not feel it. Fixing is fine... Yeah I know it's a bit more money for parts (big deal they want quality parts / fluids I use quality parts anyways) You just need to buy a Vag Con from Ross Tech.... and you have to poney out the $350 for a REAL Ross Tech one you need the Hex and CAN support, and you need a real one so you can actuly make changes. This will allow you to access all the VW specific systems. You will also need to buy a tripple square bit set. If you have a decent base mechanical knowledge you can work on almost everything on the car short of like the DSG, and that's about it. You can even do fluid changes on the DSG yourself (and no you don't need to buy there stupid fill tool. But you do need the Vag Con both to cycle fluids and get up to temp, but also reset service intervals.

As for modding MY GOD anyone that pays what the companies want like APR GIAC ECT for there parts should be shot..... I'm sorry but 500-800 for a down pipe (just a simple down pipe with 2 or 3 O2 bungs) is out of there mind. I paid under $80 for mine (just 2 flanges, 2 chunks of 3" SS pipe, a flex section, and 2 bungs. Heck if your going to spend the money on anything buy one direct from billy boat (he use to make them for APR)

As for how it responded to mods.... AMAZING gained 100 HP for adding 2 pipes (intake and exaust) and an APR retune to stage 2....... That is another thing that gets me there is all this stage 1 stage 2 stage 2+ stuff.... It's just cooky cutter packages for stupid rich kids. But bought my return on the fall sale so 50% off from APR and it was 599 for a fully loaded ECU that allows me 3 tunes I can switch with contorl stalk (cruze) it will let me activate an imobilizer, clear codes ( if I throw one but can do that with programer anyways) and realine throttel body. Mods changed my fuel efficency too.... I can hyper mile in the city now have seen up to 41 MPG, and HW stayed about 32 it was spected for if you keep it below 70. I think allot of this has to do with the tune upping boost to spikes to 22 PSI and stable about 18 PSI from about stock which was stable around 12 PSI. I have not been able to put it back to a stock tune yet to see if MPG goes back to a more factory range as I think higher boost might be killing MPG on the HW. Most I have got out of a tank was like 430 miles (13 gal tank) and there was a few times I had flooged on it during that run once to 150 MPH

Edited by jszucs

Also agreed as stated above. It would be a 6 speed. I personally have owned 3 vw. a 2000 tdi jetta 2004 jetta vr6 and 2012 gti. All of which Where modded. the price is a bit high. my 12 was averageing 37 mpg with a unitronic stage 2 tune. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about all 3 of mine.

if you do happen to find another gti or jetta as stated get the 12 bit torx head set and a vag com.

all around Ive had awesome luck with all mine.

Ryan

O and 10000000000X % make sure it's not modded, has never been modded, and get someone with a real scan tool to fully scan not only the basic ODB2 stuff but all the cars computers, body, ABS, traction, stability, ECT ECT ECT. There is a TON of stuff. Also check the datas on all the service intervals. The black boxes will tell you allot about if the car was loved or not. For me I will only keep looking if I see it's been a really long time since last clear, and every service interval was done well before time and milage.

O and 10000000000X % make sure it's not modded, has never been modded, and get someone with a real scan tool to fully scan not only the basic ODB2 stuff but all the cars computers, body, ABS, traction, stability, ECT ECT ECT. There is a TON of stuff. Also check the datas on all the service intervals. The black boxes will tell you allot about if the car was loved or not. For me I will only keep looking if I see it's been a really long time since last clear, and every service interval was done well before time and milage.

This. You know how many dumb kids I've seen with VW's? I actually had a kid with a VR6 once ask me if he could buy a Turbo XS RFL blow-off so his car "would make that cool wooshy noise." I was still laughing when his dumb tail walked out of my shop.

This. You know how many dumb kids I've seen with VW's? I actually had a kid with a VR6 once ask me if he could buy a Turbo XS RFL blow-off so his car "would make that cool wooshy noise." I was still laughing when his dumb tail walked out of my shop.

I can only imagine. I cannot believe what they fork over for stuff. I laughed so hard when this kid ran his GTI on the dyno after paying over 1500 for intake and exaust and 600 for the same retune that I bought made 2 less HP then my car. When I just used 2 generic pipes and paid $160 for my intake and exaust and made 2 more HP....... HAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Now this leads to the next question....... how do we get a piece of this market?

Former VW Audi tech... glad you didn't do it. Anything from electrical problems on. The stick shifts don't last. Timing belts better get done every 60k. Certain motors have casting issues. The metal is too soft so the valves dont open all the way when the cam wears out. Rack and pinions dont last. And on and on and on.

Not a good choice for your wife. I say Hyundai.

Former VW Audi tech... glad you didn't do it. Anything from electrical problems on. The stick shifts don't last. Timing belts better get done every 60k. Certain motors have casting issues. The metal is too soft so the valves dont open all the way when the cam wears out. Rack and pinions dont last. And on and on and on.

Not a good choice for your wife. I say Hyundai.

He's going to be a TSI in that year so it's chain driven. The belts are easily solved by the carbon kevlar one's if you got an FSI. Only other issue with FSI is cam follower which is sub 10 min to change if you know what your doign and just do it every 4 oil changes if it needs it or not. Rack comes out with 4 bolts and you just swap the whole electric stearing, not a big deal at all. It's a huge chunk of alum and the bolts are even still nice and shiney coated. I have been very pleased to work on mine other then the have to buy a tripple square set, a stubby tork set and a Vag Con.

Before I left that shop, I always enjoyed working on VW/Audi. (Except certain dual upper control arm models... that job sucks) I agree, the work is pretty strait forward if you know what your doing and if you have the tools. I forgot that one... the cam follower is a big deal. I even made a necklace out of one of the trashed ones from a car with 80k on the original one. Quick way to ruin your cam.

I also recommend the Vim Long XZN set for like 50$... very helpful in many circumstances where the short XZN with an extension cant go.