Folks who reneg

vbrad511

We've all been there...put something up for sale, had somebody make contact and say they'll take it, then never come through. I've held parts for folks for a few days until they had the cash, I've even shipped things out without being paid and trusted them to do the right thing, and MOST times it's worked out fine. This goes the other way too. A few days ago I messaged a member about buying something, but I needed to get my check in the bank the following day before I could pay for it without worrying about an overdraft. He was cool with it, no problem. I messaged back wanting his PP id and didn't hear anything. Now I didn't get notification of the reply, but he responded a few hours later telling me they'd now been sold.

I understand "first one with the cash takes it", but after the initial contact he should've at least contacted me before pulling the rug out from under me. Just pisses me off. Did I need the parts to keep my car on the road? No. Were they going to make me or break me? No. But it's the point of it. Little things like common courtesy go a long way in defining your character.

Unfortunately this does happen at times. On the flip side, sellers have held parts under the same conditions and the buyer never got back to them. Both cases could be avoided with a little communication. I believe that is what you were looking for but didn't get. Sorry it happened.

Jimmy

Iv'e noticed this has become more common over the past couple of years to the point i seldom sell parts on here anymore and yes communication is the main problem that and if you can't use simple good old "hello, please, thank you's" and your real name that alone get's you off to a bad start with me and don't get me started on the "have you shipped it yet or tracking # ?" b.s , i can't begin to count the hours iv'e had wasted on both buying and selling on here and as Brad kinda said it's not the end of the world but can be irritating but for the most part most guys on here are cool when it comes to the parts wheeling and dealing. :) Edited by SOTTY

Jimmy, you're right on all counts. I'm making a bigger deal of it than it's worthy of, but it is irritating. I've come to hold our group of folks to a higher standard, and with that standard is consideration. I know I'm not wrong, just some folks haven't quite taken it in yet.

This just happened to me last week. Asked for a pic of item and three or so days later after he didnt provide one I ask again about pic and he tells me he sold it to someone else. Most people do the first in line type of sale and if first person to ask about the park is not interested it goes to the next person interested.

Scotty, you're right on too. "Hey I need this". "Ok, I'll dig it out, clean it up, check it out, send you pics, box it up....HEY, where'd you go?"

^ it can be a LOT of work ^ lack of patience is another problem with many on here too , we're not Rockauto !, we're mostly regular Joe's with full time jobs, lives and families which of course takes priority over all and anything , this is purely a hobby and should be treated as such , a lot of us sell off parts we don't need just to turn around and buy yet more stuff for the same car , that's what i do . :) Edited by SOTTY

Sotty, several times I have purchased something and I wait a week or so and ask if its been shipped only to find out it was shipped the day I ask "Was it shipped". I usually and not in a rush for parts I purchase here but I dont want to be forgotten. Edited by BuGG

Sotty, several times I have purchased something and I wait a week or so and ask if its been shipped only to find out it was shipped the day I ask "Was it shipped". I usually and not inn a rush for parts I purchase here but I dont want to be forgotten.

Oh that's cool with me man , it's the " i Paypalled you 5 mins ago, have you shipped it ? and i need a tracking # " types i refer to and they do exist , like i said before most peeps on here are cool though :)

Iv'e noticed this has become more common over the past couple of years to the point i seldom sell parts on here anymore and yes communication is the main problem that and if you can't use simple good old "hello, please, thank you's" and your real name that alone get's you off to a bad start with me and don't get me started on the "have you shipped it yet or tracking # ?" b.s , i can't begin to count the hours iv'e had wasted on both buying and selling on here and as Brad kinda said it's not the world but can be irritating but for the most part most guys on here are cool when it comes to the parts wheeling and dealing. :)

What about people that tell you that they are going to ship you a part,and they don't ask for the money to ship the part, and leave you hanging for a month after you called them a number of times without a response, then the person waiting for the part sends them $20.00 cash in a envelope for shipping along with a greeting card, because they never heard s..t back from the person that said that they would ship the part to them. How do you deal with someone like that?

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

What about people that tell you that their going to send you a part, don't ask for the money to ship the part, and leave you hanging for a month after you send them $20.00 cash in a envelope for shipping?

Bill

Bill,

If this is referring to a particular transaction between you and Scotty. Take it elsewhere, the drama will not be allowed to start back up on sqc.

Jimmy

• Like 1

Unless I'm dealing with someone I've developed a rapport with, the first one who makes payment is the one who gets the parts. Keep things simple and communicate this up front and everyone will end up satisfied.

If your shopping with money you don't have IN your pocket, your just wasting peoples time.

• Like 2

What about people that tell you that their going to send you a part, don't ask for the money to ship the part, and leave you hanging for a month after you send them $20.00 cash in a envelope for shipping?

Bill

He's referring to a hood strut kit he won at Mesquite 2 back in 2011 , he got his raffle prize 3 weeks later , like i said wasn't a priority in my life at the time and i got nothing to hide and his hood still had a prop and he got his prize , just the usual Caliber308 trying to stir yet more trouble and ruin yet another good thread , same old story , YAWN ! :D

Sotty, several times I have purchased something and I wait a week or so and ask if its been shipped only to find out it was shipped the day I ask "Was it shipped". I usually and not in a rush for parts I purchase here but I dont want to be forgotten.

Not sure about anyone else, but when Im selling more than an item pr 2, I will wait until the end of the week to drop the items off at the PO. I live 20-25min from the PO and am not about to go through the PO hassle 3x's a week due to people purchasing from me throughout the week. Although I get some funny looks making 2-3 trips to my car and back with packages.

if your going to be selling a part, cleaning it up should be done before you offer it for sale , an example of oor salesmanship is a guy i paid $400 for a 4 whlr rear diff and he never so much as clean'd the mud off it,, i feel for $400 a small effort to clean the part up

is not a reasonable expectation

He's referring to a hood strut kit he won at Mesquite 2 back in 2011 , he got his raffle prize 3 weeks later , like i said wasn't a priority in my life at the time and i got nothing to hide and his hood still had a prop and he got his prize , just the usual Caliber308 trying to stir yet more trouble and ruin yet another good thread , same old story , YAWN ! :D

Scotty,

I am not going to let threads be ruined by personal issues between members. You don't help when you skirt the language filter like you did.

Jimmy

Not sure about anyone else, but when Im selling more than an item pr 2, I will wait until the end of the week to drop the items off at the PO. I live 20-25min from the PO and am not about to go through the PO hassle 3x's a week due to people purchasing from me throughout the week. Although I get some funny looks making 2-3 trips to my car and back with packages.

Me too Phil ,numerous trips to the shippers is just not possible for me and probably the same for most people .

I agree, when I selling parts, unless they said they needed it asap. I'd tell them it would be shipped on a certain day, but not necessarily today. One trip to UPS or USPS a week is enough and should be acceptable to both parties. Once again, communication is the key to smooth transactions.

Jimmy

Scotty,

I am not going to let threads be ruined by personal issues between members. You don't help when you skirt the language filter like you did.

Jimmy

I got no time for him or his b.s Jimmy and due to me (and others) having to block his harassment via pm's and my personal e-mail account i no longer can converse with him nor do i wish to , i know of no-one on here that does, anyway yes i skirted the language barrier and please accept my apology and let's get back on topic .

Scotty

Edited by SOTTY

I got no time for him or his b.s Jimmy and due to me (and others) having to block his harassment via pm's and my personal e-mail account i no longer can converse with him nor do i wish to , i know of no-one on here that does, anyway yes i skirted the language barrier and please accept my apology and let's get back on topic .

Scotty

Sounds good to me.

Jimmy

I have sold and given away parts. When I say i'm going to do something, i do it. When I have received funds for a part, it gets shipped out the same day. That is the way I do things. I received the money from the buyer, why not send him or her the part the same day as I received their money? I'm never too busy to ship a part via USPS or UPS. My priority is getting the part to the buyer quickly. After all, I have their money, they should have their part.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

To each his own. Personally, I am not going to the Post Office or UPS every day. On the other hand, most pay with paypal. I leave the money alone until I hear they received and are satisfied with the part(s).

I don't use PayPal. Money Orders only. I don't sell parts on a daily basis. So a trip to USPS or UPS on the day I receive funds from the buyer doesn't bother me.I do business, like I hope others would do it for me.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I just go by a few simple rules when selling or buying.

If I'm selling, I clean up the parts as well as I can, or paint them if they need it. Post good pics, full information in the post. Look like you put some effort into it and people feel more comfortable. I usually include shipping in the price, makes things simple. I usually have it boxed up by the time I post the ad, I send it out the next day after I'm paid 99% of the time. Get that right, and the only decision or question a user will ask is "do I want this?"...

Money talks, BS walks. I get that people have lives and things going on, but until the money comes through the item is still for sale, that's just basic professionalism. How can I hold something when somebody else is ready to pay? I have a couple guys who I have a relationship where we can work things out, but it's only a couple.

If I'm buying, I pay immediately via Paypal, with a payment for "good or services". If you pay as a gift, you can only blame yourself if something goes wrong. Following this with dozens of sales and buys, I haven't had any problems or bad blood dealing with members.

if your going to be selling a part, cleaning it up should be done before you offer it for sale , an example of oor salesmanship is a guy i paid $400 for a 4 whlr rear diff and he never so much as clean'd the mud off it,, i feel for $400 a small effort to clean the part up

is not a reasonable expectation

MOST times when I'm selling something it's not something I've posted, it's something that somebody's looking for. That said, many, if not most of my spare parts are in the shape I removed them from the vehicle and stored in totoes, either in the garage or in the basement. If I hadn't planned on selling something that's likely burried away I feel I'm doing somebody a favor by going out of my way to help them out. I've got no problem doing that, but once I've gone to the trouble I like to think it's not wasted time.