In-cabin fuel pump?

Aman

Would this be a bad idea? It's a hypothetical question. Everyone seems to hate changing their fuel pump after 100-200K miles it goes bad, so why hasn't anyone thought about installing one in the trunk, with grommets for the in and out fuel lines? Food for thought.

Yeah, gas fumes and possible flames are bad enough, but it gets even worse when they're trapped inside the car with you. If you do it, don't let any friends smoke in or around your car.

All fuel lines Must be outside the passenger compartment. It's a department of transportation safety code.

If your in trunk fuel pump high side ruptures in a crash and ignites you will have a ball of fire that will envelop the passenger compartment. You will die.

Even if it only makes a small fire,... what if you are trapped and injured inside a burning car?

Don't think this was a stupid question you asked. You didn't know so you asked. Now you know and knowing could save your life. That's not a stupid question.

Edited by ucw458

Race cars have in cabin fuel pumps, but they are incased in a metal box of some sort and fire retardant sprayers are required inside the cabin as well as fire extinguisher.

Oh I was never going to do this, you guys, I was just curious! I like having the pump where it is solely because 1. that's how it was built, I wouldn't alter it, and 2. That 044 I had was damn loud. I like bringing my automotive thoughts here because I get intelligent, complete answers. I learn most of my stuff here.
  • Like 1

My brother has his mounted on his firewall above the brake booster

fuel injection fuel pumps do a super job at pushing fuel but are not very good at sucking fuel,, trying to suck fuel from engine compartment to fuel tank is a very poor idea

Now, those pics you posted are very common. The problem is, most are for show or purely illegal. Any racing organization would require the presence of Metal firewall between you and the cell.

So aslong as you had something like that present, your GTG!

fuel injection fuel pumps do a super job at pushing fuel but are not very good at sucking fuel,, trying to suck fuel from engine compartment to fuel tank is a very poor idea

I looked again... It's just a filter

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee495/joey_crandall/98BD3AFC-574F-4739-8D53-AC3BA1C467DE-1621-00000133EA35D2EA_zpse2d1c2f1.jpg