Hot ignition coil causing car.to.die?

302ci

Ok as title says I replaced my old coil with a new MSD Blaster 2 to try to fix problem but no dice.it runs great while cold and sitting over night. But after it warms up the coil is so hot you cant touch it at all. Would this cause my dieing at idle?

sounds like you have a 6 volt coil on a 12 volt system

if on the coil or packageing it says use a ballist resistor with this coil ,,you have the wrong coil ,

coils that use a ballist resistor is a 6-7 volt coil , and will over heat if you put 12 volts to them

if on the coil or packageing it says use a ballist resistor with this coil ,,you have the wrong coil ,

coils that use a ballist resistor is a 6-7 volt coil , and will over heat if you put 12 volts to them

I thought the car model dictated the use of a resister?. like used to keeps the points from burning up on say an old mopar? http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Coils/Stock_Replacement/8202_-_Blaster_2_Coil_Hi-Performance.aspx

Edited by StarquestRescue

Also when it'd warm and running right there is a grinding/ticking sound coming from the TPS. But the. It wants to die the sound isn't there until I keep foot on the gas causing the surge and when the surge hits its peak it starts grinding then stops when goes back down.

14 volts will not overheat the coil if its the correct coil, too much dwell will overheat the coil. How are you hearing this grinding/ticking sound from the TPS? The only movement in the TPS is when the throttle plate is moving, its job is to tell the ECU the throttle plate is moving and it does its job silently. Are you sure you've correctly identified the TPS? Are you confusing that with the ISC?

Ok another strange thing if I don't let the car sit for more than 3 or 4 mins when its warm it will continue to run great. But longer than that it runs bad. And coil is not hot anymore just engine heat warming it up so im guessing bad isc? Im gonna try the reset when I get back from the field.

a broken wire in the MPS sensor connector will cause the isc motor to run , run, run,, trying to find the proper voltage signal ,understanding how the TPS< ISC AND MPS all work to gather will be a huge help in finding your problem
  • Like 1

you need to understand exactly what the ISC's job is , it's only funtion is to move the MPS so the ecu can find the MPS voltage it is looking for ,,thats it ,,if the motor on the ISC is runing ,,,its runing continously because the ecu can't find the right MPS voltage signal ,, that all it does,,

a short chaptor inthe frt of the fuel chaptor explains how and why these ISC motors run

• 1 month later...
Ok so problem got so bad that at wouldn't idle wen cold. Then it hit me check the injector clips. I checked them switched the primary and secondary clips and it idles 1000% better. I got car to normal operating temp now and going to start it when its warm and see if it still dies. Im thinking the old owner got clips mixed up whn he/she put a new clip on one of the clips and that caused my problem I hope anyways. Ill update as soon as I let car sit for a while.

Ok so problem got so bad that at wouldn't idle wen cold. Then it hit me check the injector clips. I checked them switched the primary and secondary clips and it idles 1000% better. I got car to normal operating temp now and going to start it when its warm and see if it still dies. Im thinking the old owner got clips mixed up whn he/she put a new clip on one of the clips and that caused my problem I hope anyways. Ill update as soon as I let car sit for a while.

Take the car up to 2500 to 3000 rpms. (Secondary Fuel Injector comes in). That will tell you real quick if the Injector Clips are connected properly.

It sounds like your ISC Adjusting Screw is out of whack, or your ISC is shot.

Idling up and down could be caused by the ISC Nose Switch not making contact with the free lever.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

when i put in new injector clips, i cut the wires to solder the leads together.

once the wire was cut and stripped i notice the copper was green. I cut the

wire down a little more and still green wires. i ended up cutting about 8 to 10

inches down total to replace the bad wires for each injector.

dont know how the car ran.

Edited by importwarrior

when i put in new injector clips, i cut the wires to solder the leads together.

once the wire was cut and stripped i notice the copper was green. I cut the

wire down a little more and still green wires. i ended up cutting about 8 to 10

inches down total to replace the bad wires for each injector.

dont know how the car ran.

Ditto.

There is a excellent write up in the FAQ Section on installing New Injector Clips.

Bill

One clip was already new one was green for about 5 inches got it on idles great and goes past 3k rpm when secondary kicks in and keeps going. But when im just driving normal it spits and sputters then starts normal driving after a few seconds or if i lift off throttle and slam my foot down. Idk what this could be maybe my primary injector is clogged/bad or both. What is the best place to get some bigger replacements?

ok the best thing for you to do right now is to open the FSM, to chapter 14 fuel ,start on page 14-2 and start reading and looking at the pictures carefully look them over read all the pages to page

# 14-23 , it not that much reading take you maybe 10 minutes the first time thru but it really help to read thru it several times

once you understand what each part does you will have a better idea of how to find and cure your problem

and you'll better understand what guys are telling you

it's really a very simple system