worked that mig today ;)

Shelby

haveing to build a little yard trailer , you know for falling logs , pine neddles etc , 4'X7'X 23" sides , have odd tires on it right now one of my 12" tires is bad

just so you know it ain't winter time down here it was 96f today

it's a defibulator , the pace maker funtions aren't turned on , and i'm not suposed to be welding , but low amp stuff i can do if i don't get too close to it ,most of the time i got no chioce if i want some thing done , but yesterday i did have some help , and i was glad to get it to ,,

i bet more then 1/2 these guys have no idea what their even looking at lol,, it's an old boat trailer made into a yard buggy to pick up crap out of the yard and haul small stuff behind the lawn mower

i bet more then 1/2 these guys have no idea what their even looking at lol,, it's an old boat trailer made into a yard buggy to pick up crap out of the yard and haul small stuff behind the lawn mower

The roller at the rear kinda gives it away. :P

cool Shelby..i did the same thing being here in fl i built a yard trailer made out of a rear axle off a 3 wheeler ,some old mobile home frame /metal .its a 4x7 ish trailer aswell.when i took my welding helmet off it was like some one dumped out a water bottle with all the sweat in it ..crazy hot.the lens was steaming up making it hard to see the welds.

I used to weld the caps onto the grease ducts for commercial kitchens. (Above the grill in every resturant is a vent hood. A 10ga square duct comes out of that up to the roof through a curb. At curb level a slightly conical cap gets completely welded to the duct and the curb. Then the exhaust fan sits on the curb.) 100+ degrees on a roof while wearing a welding helmet. If it wasn't for my ice chest full of water and a wet rag on my neck I couldn't have done it. I've been up there when the roofing tar was melting from the hot sun. Not fun.

One time in Hesperia I was welding a cap on and the sun was hitting it just right to beam sunlight into my face. I had a shade 12 lens in my helmet and my sunglasses on and it was still too bright to see what I was doing. I had to do it blind. Run a short bead then inspect what I did. Took forever to weld that cap.

my g-son and son- in -law both are beginer welders so i gave each a turn and what pointers i could , but i got in my share of the welding

only one way to learn how to weld ;) i realy don't know how a man can make it for years with out a welder , and man do i miss my gas tourchs , budy barrowed them and burnt down his shop , never got arround to replaceing the big tanks or any of it for that matter lol

I hear ya on the torches. They are useful sometimes. I got a portable MC tank setup and a full size cart setup. Welders and torches may not be used everyday for an average DIY person but for some jobs they are indespensable.

when welding exh pipeing i prefer to use gas , when i can , but after i was dissabled the chances of me affording a new set up are slim to none

You could check out craigslist. I got my big setup used for $100. It was complete, tanks, cart and torches.

Edited by ucw458

only problem is the local gas companies will not refill an out of town tank

Really!? Why? They should exchange customer owned tanks. Without markings on the tank how can you tell if it's out of town?

What welder are you using? I just aquired one. Lincoln 140 hd. Can't wait to start. I'm a beginner myself.

Ah the Home Depot model. That's what the HD stands for. If you can still take it back then I would and get a 140C. The HD has 4 voltage or "heat" settings. The C is infinately variable and has a higher duty cycle. It also doesn't cost much more than the HD but it's a much better machine. Duty cycle refers to how long you can continuously weld before the welder overheats and forces a cool down period.

BTW I have a 140C and it's a great little machine.

Edited by ucw458

mine goes from 40 amps to 225 , 4 diff amp setings is not what you want the more seting the better the machine

and the more you will be able to do with it , i have welded car fenders and 3/4" steel plates and every thing inbetween

and never used a seting higher then 125 amp

man some people just plain can't weld , last week i had one of the g-g-sons 110cc 4 whlrs apart to weld up the engine mounts

he had broken the frt upper mounting plates into on one side and snaped the frame bar on the other , so while i had it apart i looked at the lower rear mounting plates you could only see a little bit of the bars and what you saw was in one piece and some one had fashoned a 1/4 flat plate to fit across the rear of the frame makeing it look as they had welded the engine mounting plates

to this heavy duty plate , well after 2 days he threw a chain again and today io took the rear end off and used a grinder to remove the weld on that big plate , poped it off and wouldn't you know it neather mounting plate was welded to it ,,they made ready to weld to it but for got to actualy weld

i can asure you it is welded solid now ,got done just about 35 sec ahead of the rain

now i know no one is intersted but thats my rant for today , and the reason my yard trailer isn't done :)