engine and head install

norcalstar1

Hi all, just trying to get my starion back on the road. I've seen pics on the internet of installing the block first without the head. Is this so you can use the engine hoist properly or can you install the head with the intake and exhaust manifolds on the block and then install the engine as an assembly. Thanks in advance.

For me its just generally easier to put it back in with the head off. Access to motor mounts and trans bolts is simpler, you can turn the engine to align with the trans/flexplate with ease, and its easier to push the motor around while getting it to set.

If you've got help, putting the head on with manifolds attached is generally easier than getting the nuts on the manifold studs later.

Lot easier for me with everything bolted on. The underside nuts for the manifolds are a pain as well as the heat shields under the turbo are a real pita when the block is installed. I had everything on except down pipe, TB and dizzy. Easier for me, of course I'm a little older and the bifocals are a pain.

There's one nut on the underside of the intake mani that is impossible to get to with the head still bolted to the engine. Found this out on a junkyard car.

This is what I was implying when I said next to impossible. I had the same experience as you myself but had others at the time say they had done it. I sure ain't gonna bother trying but they say it can be done.

Wow, I literally tried for almost an hour to find a way to get to that bottom nut. I used every flex, extension you name it and couldn't get a good bite on it. I could barely touch it with my hand, let alone put a wrench on it. :P

Wow, I literally tried for almost an hour to find a way to get to that bottom nut. I used every flex, extension you name it and couldn't get a good bite on it. I could barely touch it with my hand, let alone put a wrench on it. :P

it's tough but I've done it.....twice...lol. It's very tough...got to use a wrench and use the touchy feely method and u only get about an eigth of a turn....took about a half hour for the troublesome nut not to mention there are a couple others that are tight...if my head was off I would have def assembled with manifolds in place....

Gig out

snap on, short ,double box'd end wrebch long off set

i do have a question for all you 100's of people replaceing engines WHY not put the chain hook back on the rear intake stud like it was when you took it off ,,same with the one behind the a/c idler bracket

didn't you ever wonder what they were for