2.5 or 3 Inch Exhaust??

Maybe i am wrong. BUT the whole idea of getting the 3 inch was to eliminate back pressure AFTER the turbo

to better spool.

the presure between the head and turbo along with the heat of the exhaust spool the turbo buy openning the exhaust behind the turbo

you help the flow of exhaust out of the system with less pressure to aid in faster spool by less back presssure and less restriction on the turbine.

i think?????

Edited by importwarrior

Back pressure is widely know to be a myth anymore. The issue isn't backpressure, you want to avoid all back pressure is possible. The issue is velocity. Going too big will mean hot fast moving gasses will run into stagnant lazy cooling gases.

I have 2.5 inch on non-NA cars under 2 liters in size. I will admit it is a bit too big, but more of an issue of weight than any other performance measure,

There are lots o way to look at engines. It sometimes helps to look at a turbo engine as a NA engine. Basicly producing an extra atmosphere of pressure will double the total flow through an engine (not really, but it is a simple model). Playing with this model a 2.6 pushing nearly 15 PSI is basically moving the same amount of air as a 5.0 if both are at the same RPM. People run 2.5 inch dual exhaust on small block Fords all the time. So I think if you have plans for anything like that you are probably choking the engine a bit with a single 2.5.

If you are at 7 PSI. Using that model practice again, a 2.6 at about 7 psi should be seen as about a 4 liter engine. Is 3 inch exhaust pipe a bit big.

My goal is the 300+ club. I needed an new exhaust and didn't want to buy twice. In current stock tune all I see from it is faster spool and louder exhaust. I doubt I've added much power. Probably haven't broken 200hp, other mods in the mix as well. As I said gunning for 300, if I had got to 280 and was on a 2.5 inch I would have been kind of irritated with myself that I didn't go for 3.

I think you will be happy with the MK1.

Edited by Cloud81918

Under 400whp 3" downpipe to 2.5" catback is fine. shop FRS made 400whp with a 3" downpipe 2.5" catback and high flow cat. If you dont want the added noise and drone do this

555061_534947839859165_1497564186_n.jpg

Edited by RonnieJ

I am guessing turbo lag is a myth too.....but with new turbo technology and variable vanes and vane position sensors who needs lag with a 25 yr old car. bigger isn't always better when your looking for fast spool. Once again ask yourself...track car, daily or stoplight assasin. My porsche had open headers and after " no back pressure" the valves bent and even my mechanic warned my from running her the way I did all the time. Is restriction what we are gettin rid of from our overdone oem vehicles yes but am just adding two cents

I hear guys debating backpressure. All you have to do is bolt on a downpipe and see the difference created from the reduction in backpressure, it's obvious. When is too little backpressure a problem on a turbo car? Never. The faster the exhaust can leave the car, the faster the spool.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Installed my mk1 exhaust and downpipe and had my local guy build me the missing pipe. Love the 3in exhaust!

Good deal. It's the last exhaust you will probably need to buy regardless of whatever else you do.

yeah you can really feel a pretty good power gain and acceleration is much better.. It totaled around $500 but i figured if I'm going to do it why have to do it twice.. I'm very happy with it.. looks better, sounds better, more power = happy owner ;)

I might get the same setup as you after reading through this entire old thread today, lol

Do you have a sound clip of you 3" setup?

Although I'm assuming it sounds like a tractor just like every 2.6 Starion anyways ;) (not a bad thing, haha)

Edited by krudmuphin

Here's a couple lame videos I made, it's interior, but you can hear the exhaust. It's 3" with only a magnaflow 3" offset in/out and the tip extends about 2-3" past the bumper. It was really reasonable inside.

Don't mind that dang fuel pump or the commentary (lol) in the second video, but you do hear the sound from the hatch area since the camera was there.

Setup was a 292 cam, larger turbo, MPI, but stock head and cast log manifold.

For bigger power, remember, you drive the turbo, and no matter what people say, there's still a trade off, the bigger the turbo, the more lag you'll have, but for only 300 HP, you don't need a huge turbo, any 16G will get you there. It's always going to be easier with MPI, but just adding a big turbo will give you the right starting point.

My '87 has a 2.5" (no cat) with a Dynomax muffler and I can hardly hear it when cruising, but it gives you a nice growl when you get on it.

My buddy's '83 has a 2.5" (no cat) with a Borla muffler and it's much louder, but still doesn't sound too droney (spelling? LOL).

Either way will definitely give you a performance boost, but like most people have said, 2.5" is plenty unless you plan on doing quite a few more mods later on.

Just my .02 cents :)