2.5 or 3 Inch Exhaust??

just a side note. be cautious of the end of the tail pipe. it can melt

the bumper if too short or close to the bumper. I had to extend my

tip just past the end of the bumper to stop it from me;ting.

pics from DVenables beautiful Durban.

the melted part cut out.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/15101/P8290164.jpg

what he did to fix it.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/15101/P8290166.jpg

why the end of the exhaust should go past the end of the bumper.

Even though i like it under the bumper.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/15101/P8290167.jpg

Edited by importwarrior

Look around for custom fabricators in your town that are doing good work. When I was in college, I found a guy who was AMAZING at tig welding and specialized in custom aftermarket go-fast parts. He worked out of his own small shop and charged really reasonable prices. Go to race events or track days or just car hang outs at night and ask around.

You could probably get one done custom for 300 bucks or less. (That's a steal, seriously).

to me the benefit is in the mandrel bends as opposed to the crinkle or press bends.

smoother flow. the less the angle kind of like a 45 rather then a 90 helps.

but to be honest if your not racing you probably will not notice the difference.

i went from a stock to a 3 inch no cat straight through muffler. the turbo spool

on the stock turbo was faster. nothing to pressurize behind the exhaust turbine like

a clogged up cat converter. plus 3 inches being larger less restrictive flow all

helped the turbo spool a little quicker. it was loud. now if i could do it again i would

probably go 3 inch with 2 resinators and a WLK-17223 muffler from summitracing.

had one on my last 4 quests. deep tone great flow. i would hope that would get rid

of the droning.

Edited by importwarrior

Ahh, this used to be a debate between Top End Performance, and Custom Network Motorsports (CNM) back in the day, CNM sold a 3" mandrel exhaust and TEP sold a 2.5". TEP was fond of saying 3" was too big, until James from CNM called them out on it with dyno results on stock and lightly modified cars for his 3" system vs TEP's 2.5" system.. After a while, TEP started selling 3" systems after CNM went out of business.

First, let's rule out cats and assume you'll run a straight thru muffler.

3" is the size you want on a turbo car for best performance and to make sure you don't outgrow the exhaust system. 2.5 will work just fine, but 3" will work better at minimizing backpressure. I have had an HKS (60mm, less than 2.5"), a 2.5" with TEP downpipe, a crappy 3" KayDM system, and a full 3" MK1 SS system. None of the other ones compare to the MK1 system. Get it and forget it.

Nice to know about the MK1 SS system. I have that one and I have been reasonably happy with it. I got the matching 3 inch DP too.

Mookeeh didn't send the silencer with mine. Attempts to remedy it weren't fruitful, so I'm going to have to buy one of those. I also had to use a graphite gasket to seal the DP and the exhaust. The stock gasket didn't cut it.

Past those issues though the system seem well built. The 4 inch tip is a little much; but figure it isn't on a Honda.

The MK1 3 inch does drone a bit, but I've currently have only about half of the interior in place as I'm doing interior work. I'd guess with the rear seats re-installed and the silencer that car will be great are freeway speeds.

Hmmm now I don't know if I should buy a downpipe and have the rest custom made or buy the downside and mk1 3in system and just have the missing section made... decisions decisions decisions!

Dude, for the price and hassle of getting a custom exhaust system built from the downpipe back, you can save money and buy the whole MK1 system. Most muffler shops also don't do mandrel bends, or use stainless steel. If they do, your exhaust will probably cost you over $400 for a downpipe-back system. The MK1 also comes in 2.5" and 3".

Edited by Fuze

Right but the MK1 does not include the middle pipe that replaces the pipe with the stock cat....

Mine sure did, it's catless. Either way that little test pipe section would be cheap to get made.

My set-up....&dm 2.5" DP to a flex section to mendrel bend 2.5 till the end of a chrome two tip. No Muffler no problem I don't care about sound as long as DPS leaves me alone and I keep u[p with newer cars or wreck old ones. So my set up is straight thru and all i purchased was the 4dm DP and have the muffler place slap a flex and 2.5". I thought about the 3" but I hadn't done my rebuild yet and even after all the performance goodies and rebuilding and boring out I stilll like the 2.5". Its my opinion but if ya do it do it with realistic intentions and dont over do the pipes for a 12a you wont have and back pressure to spool, once again my 14B is stupid fast to spool so my set up works for me. Good luck sir and most of all add a flex section after DP to save your studs!!!!

My DP has a flex in it do i need to add another one

If ya have a MookeeH with the flex pipe you should be good, and really as long as the DP has a flex you allow a little movement to relieve stress on the manifold studs

i cant believe this is still a problem.

1 of 2 things.

1 whats the easiest to aquire? 2 inch or 3 inch exhaust parts?

size does not matter unless your making huge power. size does

help with spool.

2 what can you afford.

if your in school just get what ya need to hold you over.

unless you want to do it once. then just go 3 inch.

i say go 3 inch. you can quiet it down if noise is a problem.

i had the *DM on most of my cars and even a old CNM on one.

they drone but that could be resolved with proper muffler or resinators.

even a CAT will quiet it down some.

BUT i do agree on the FLEX pipe. unless your running a FUNK LOCK!

then not needed.

Edited by importwarrior

well with the 12a put a muffler on it for back pressure to help spool then when ya start to upgrade then cut the Bi%^H off :-) IMO At least you are starting from the back of the car vs the front with begining mods, good luck sir