stock 88 starion vs stock rx8

ditc210

Need more info... year, trans they got like a 4 and 6 speed auto and a 5 and 6 speed manual IIRC. And there HP ratings varry widely too from like 180 ish to 235ish IIRC Going to come down to weight and power and the driver.

My friend has a manual 5 speed 08 rx8 its stock meaning he hasnt upgraded anything jus your typical maintnance.i have a manual 88 starion.also stock haven't done any upgrades jus maintainined it try to leave original.but my friend keeps talking! We gnna chill this weekend but I jus do my research before I start talkin smack.

Maybe i am getting old, but who gives a crap? Anyone can go buy a fast newer car, it takes work and know-how to keep a 20+ year old car on the road.

You'll get more people telling you, "I haven't seen one of these is a long time", or "my brother used to have one" then anyone saying anything about an rx8. There is one at every intersection.

Make fun of your friend for not getting a newer one with the 6 spd. Or ask him how long until his apex seals go out. Or what's it like driving a wind-up toy. Or why he didn't get a rx7 with a turbo.

I agree with you jisleyjr.100% you made me feel good about owning a starquest.thanks for your post.Like what you said" Anyone can go buy a fast newer car, it takes work and know-how to keep a 20+ year old car on the road." well said.

I agree with you jisleyjr.100% you made me feel good about owning a starquest.thanks for your post.Like what you said" Anyone can go buy a fast newer car, it takes work and know-how to keep a 20+ year old car on the road." well said.

I don't think the RX8 is a fast car at all. So he didn't really go buy a fast car.

As for running him.... Id say being he is manual he's got one of the higher HP one's, and it's going to be close and come down to driver. Are you good at dragging your quest, do you have good upgraded tires, have you figured out the right grip and slip ratio on launch so you don't bog ECT.

Edited by jszucs

Oh yes an older car is better. Just shows you have skills to keep it running, not money to buy it new.

A few years ago my friend and I rode our harley to sturgis from Knoxville. I ride a 71, he had a brand new 2010.

People would walk around his bike to see mine, and it was usually a HOLY S%$# that's a nice bike comment.

he wasnt happy...lol

Remember this: It's a 25 year old car, even though it's an absolutely amaze'n 25 yr. old car, it's probably not use to the wear & tear of racing, &... have you grown up racing, being around racing, pick'n up some of the tips just touched on in the posts above?

Play'n can be "Costly!" Not just in parts, to your car, but "peoples lives." Spectators, all kinds of variables. If you're bound & determined to race... Go To the "Track." Fast & Furious is a way cool movie! (which I must admit... after see'n... I usually circum to "heavy peddle'n" on the way home :o ). Enjoy dude!

Oh yes an older car is better. Just shows you have skills to keep it running, not money to buy it new.

A few years ago my friend and I rode our harley to sturgis from Knoxville. I ride a 71, he had a brand new 2010.

People would walk around his bike to see mine, and it was usually a HOLY S%$# that's a nice bike comment.

he wasnt happy...lol

That's pretty sweet I got a 76 FLH. It's a total PITA with a 4 speed and ripping 1/4 the bike apart like every 500 miles from stuff that has rattled loose. My reward is going to bike nights with my friends who all have new Harlies and the guy steps infront of them, then sees me and gets out of the way and waves me right on in the front lot.

Speaking solely about 1/4 mile times, the RX8 is faster. Not by much, but it is--mid 14s stock IIRC and our cars are 15.x.

That being said, give it a try.

just once i'd love to read one of these , hey took this mouthy guy at work with a XX to the track and kicked his rear ,,with out this do you think I can beat him or not

stock 25 yr old car with pluged cat against a new car with new cats , sounds fair to me

LMBO!!!!!!! nice.............

RX8 are great fun. Who knows who'll win and in the end really who cares. You both have fun and interesting cars; that is great. Rather then talk about wenis size if you want to know whip them out and see. Run them and end the discussion as it is pretty silly; Neither are "fast" cars and will be very close in the quarter mile. After that is settled find some winding roads to go drive.

My friends and I have all kinds of different cars, but never talk s*** like that or really race race them. We talk lots of s*** (many times about the crappy qualities of our own cars) but the closest we come to dragging each other is a impromptu stoplight pull or 2. In the end who is faster doesn't really mater to us. It is more "do you enjoy your car"? If so, cool.

I say you and you friend should be able to go out for a drive and do a pull just to see then not really worry about who won, just to have an idea how the cars stack. Then just enjoy the cars. No build up, no worries about which one is faster. No caring if you are slower or faster. I think a lot of people try to conclude some measure of manhood by who drives the faster car. Bleh to that. I say the most important part about a car is how it make you feel.

I've told my friends that my Conquest makes me feel like I've drank far too much and decided screaming obscenities while standing at the side of the road shirtless at 3 AM was a good idea. It is the hours after a crazy punk rock concert; I'm hammered, happy and I just don't care. It is fun, but in the back of your head you know you can get in trouble at any minute. There is the strange mix of power and uncertainty. The car looks rough and most people assume it is a piece of crap right as it sits. But all of that goes away once you get drunk with power. Turbos spool and car takes off. Every turn has enough oversteer to be fun, but I'm always unsure what is in store for me. Will a cop bust me for the loud, 3 inch exhaust? Will I make it home under it power or will it have to be towed? Who knows. That is sort of what makes it fun.

My Saturn is far different than that. In it I feel like a superhero, dressed in disguise. It can pull over a lateral G on street tires. My Lotus makes me feel a different way still.

That is the reason to drive a given car. So find out who is fastest, then don't give a s*** anymore and think about how your cars make you feel and enjoy them.

Edited by Cloud81918

Haha thanks for everybodys posts im 19.this starion being my first car its been a great learning expirience both lerning how to maintain a vehicle & learning more & more about these starquest thanks to this site! Yea me & friend just joke around he always bragged about his mazda so now that I got a motivation to make more money im driven to put my blood sweat & tears into this car..& like everybody has been tellin me here..its about the work you put in something & the feeling of enjoying it...thanks again for yalls response. Love this site

Maybe i am getting old, but who gives a crap? Anyone can go buy a fast newer car, it takes work and know-how to keep a 20+ year old car on the road.

You'll get more people telling you, "I haven't seen one of these is a long time", or "my brother used to have one" then anyone saying anything about an rx8. There is one at every intersection.

Make fun of your friend for not getting a newer one with the 6 spd. Or ask him how long until his apex seals go out. Or what's it like driving a wind-up toy. Or why he didn't get a rx7 with a turbo.

What he said. That's like comparing my Atari 2600 with my son's PS4. I personally enjoy both, but my expectations are different from each.

Edited by NikoFab

What he said. That's like comparing my Atari 2600 with my son's PS4. I personally enjoy both, but my expectations are different from each.

How the heck does your son have a PS4??

Cousin had an RX8. Couldn't hold a candle to my Starion on the track or on the road. But I'm a little ways from stock