Newest creation from Mitsubishi

TexasQuest

Yaaay, another unexceptional gutless turd of a car to make the general commuting public blend together even more.

Although a Ralliart turbo edition would be cool.

... Wait, they killed Ralliart. Nvm.

Well... looks like... like... well, just about everything else I see on the street lately. Maybe it offers some different shades of paint that may make it recognizable? ;)

If they can make it exciting then it could do well.

Ugg 75hp. I don't think this will help much. If it were about 100 and offered that MPG they'd have something with a chance. It better be really cheap and as nice of nicer than the competition in some way. Perhaps if the audio system was advanced enough to be a selling point. I could see a cheap, safe, low powered, high MPG car that integrates tightly with smart devices selling well.

40MPG combined! 47 MPG HWY! well if they can pull that off, have that tight integration and stay cheap they could find a seller to those smart phone obsessed kids that just want a car.

Edited by Cloud81918

mazda has been working on diesels from what i read a while back- got some turbo diesel racecars and are planning to use the platform in us market (i think)

got to do something without all the wankels these days

but as for this car- if you want a (relatively inexpensive) city car that is fun - buy a fiat 500 Abarth

if you want a cheap city car - buy a 20 year old fiesta

everything in between is just a trendy fasion statement now, that will be the next ford festiva in 20 years time

just to bring everyone back to reality.. full size, NEW tdi jetta manages mid 40's

For only how much $$$?

Starting at nearly 10K more than this thing will be. I will admit that the VW will be a nicer car, but at nearly $10K are they really competitors? More than 1/3 the cost more. Sure you could looks at a very used TDI for the price of that new Mitsu. A TDI without a all covering warranty. Really for someone wanting high MPG, no worries, low operating costs (price diesel and parts) and low monthly payments, I'd be hard pressed not to point them at the current crop of high value small gas cars over a TDI.

I love the TDI; I sort of want one. But more often than not it isn't what people are really looking for. They are expensive, run a more difficult to find and more expensive fuel. They use expensive parts so even a used one may not be a good choice for those with few pennies to throw at a set of wheels.

Modern Mitsubishi is a joke. Its almost as if they are holding out to shutdown because they lose less money making cars like this than if they were to just shutdown. Edited by tankbob

I can see where the sub-compact car market is becoming more and more popular ( just look at how many Honda Fit's, Ford Fiesta's and Mazda2's that are out there on the road )

Face it, the US is the only country in the road that basically likes big cars. I was watching a car documentary where people went to Japan and you could pick up an FD3S RX7 for $300USD, an GTR34 Skyline for $12k, and fully blown will outrun a Porsche 911 Turbo S15 for $5k.

A Kei car?

http://cars-database.com/data_images/models/suzuki-kei/suzuki-kei-09.jpg

Things like that? Fetch a premium price wise. Main reason, cheaper on taxes ( like most of the world, taxes on cars are based on displacement ) and fuel, so they're more expensive.

The US is slowly coming into the sub-compact market. Not Kei car yet, but trust me when I say its coming.

Hell look at the Chevy Volt. A local guy got almost 3000 miles out of a tank of gas.

That being said - well - it looks a bit bland, but at least they added color.

I'd totally buy a purple one.

Edited by Fanta

LoL! The weight of all these new cars makes the HP numbers misleading too. Power to weight ratio is bad so they need all that power. I'd have to think the new Mirage is pretty gutless. I have a '96 that runs like a champ. I drove it 9 hours each way to Vegas once and kept the speed limit the whole way. Not sure if that new one could do that.

It has been a while since I drove a sub 100HP car. The one was probably either my sisters Ford Tempo or a rental Chevy Aveo, they made Ok work of the interstate, but you didn't really have power to do anything like pass. The new Mitsu has a CVT which will probably help it a bit. Figure that at 70MPH it will still be the load peddle, but the CVT will make bast use of the small amount of power that it has. That and it is pretty slippery.

I'm not saying I want his car. I don't think it will save Mitsubishi. Just saying it may do Ok if it is targeted correctly. It will be hard make it in this market with the Honda Fit taking the high end, Fiesta and Mazda2 sitting in the mid and Nissan picking up the scraps in the very low priced Versa. This may be the last new Mitsubishi for the US market. We'll see.

Needs direct injection, a turbo, two less doors, and a COLT badge.

Really surprised we haven't hear anything about direct injection considering the MPG. I assume it isn't. The price of that technology is probably too high.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/road-tests/8526208/New-Mirage-a-no-nonsense-hatch

Can't see a 3 cylinder selling that well in the US though lol, I like 3 bangers though and most companies are using them or will be. The little Ford eco boost three must be in your market? I haven't been lucky enough to thrash one yet.