hard 'clunk' from rear end between shifts

Munkee

Before I did the D2/poly bushing install my car would make a rattling noise on a take off from a stop. I thought this was because of bad suspension (blown shocks) but i read later that it could be bad TT mounts. When I did the install I checked the TT mounts and did notice some play w/ a pry bar. I couldnt find a poly set and decided to wait a bit on ordering new OEM ones.

Now that the car is back together and driving for a few weeks, I've noticed I no longer get that rattle noise at take off, so maybe my thought of bad suspension was correct the first time. What I do notice though is that in between shifts if I shift fast/hard i get a loud CLUNK from the rear end when I let off the clutch. In any gear. I clutch, go to next gear, and gas/let off the clutch, there's a loud CLUNK you can hear/feel from the rear as I do so. If i gas/slip off the clutch SLOWLY between shifts, its not there. Never noticed this before the install but if it was there before it was not this pronounced. I have a few ideas of what this might be but thought I could run them by you guys.

1. Play in the TT or diff mounts, causing the diff to hit underneath the car whenever rotational force is transferred to it? Possibly left some play in there when I was bolting the rear end back in? I torqued everything down to spec and triple checked my work but maybe something is still off? Or maybe the poly bushings are leaving some play back there?

2. When I was under the car during the install, I noticed the TT had some rotational play when i spun it by hand. Maybe a 1/4" or so. I read this could be caused by bad teeth in the TT but I didnt open it up to check the condition. Also thought this may have been the cause of the before mentioned rattle during accel from stop. Now I'm thinking the clunk maybe due to that play, as the TT might travel a 1/4" or so before the teeth 'grab' w/ the diff?

3. Just the result of a stiffer suspension and I'm feeling/hearing more of the normal rotational force transfer than I did before?

I hope I explained this correctly and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
We make the poly diff and torque tube mounts. Let me know any needs you have. Our poly is much quieter then welded. Mounts. Let me know

I agree with busted diff mounts. I replaced mine with OEM a few years back and so far so good. Since I already have full poly in the suspension and a Funk Lock I didn't want more added vibration from a poly diff ;)

Your TT isn't helping anything thoough. Clean up the splines as best you can and pack it with grease to help out some.

Edited by psu_Crash

Not cool. But hey atleast you were on the dyno. Not on the road. that is never fun at speed. lol. I know a guy who makes those in poly. Just sayin. Have you been emailed the dyno sheet yet? Edited by wrngwae
  • Like 1