1g mas effects

So I've had a 1g mas sitting in my shop for quite a while. I've just been looking for a top for it and have come across one and am going to pick it up tomorrow. I just have one concern about installing it. I was curious how much installing the 1g mas hurt in terms of mpgs. Does it hurt it? Help it? Explain please! I read a topic a while back where someone asked it but it was quickly dismissed without much argument for or against. Someone please give me some insight as this is my DD and gas is going up! :s

Thanks,

Charles Palka

well its going to make it run a bit richer, so i would say hurt MPG, although i ran one for a long time and still got good gas mileage.. so if it did hurt it, it wasnt very noticeable.. As far as why your installing it, most people do it for performance, like for running more boost, its a little richer under boost and can handle much more PSI than stock. if your car is mainly stock and you drive it daily and around town, there is really no need for it..

well its going to make it run a bit richer, so i would say hurt MPG, although i ran one for a long time and still got good gas mileage.. so if it did hurt it, it wasnt very noticeable.. As far as why your installing it, most people do it for performance, like for running more boost, its a little richer under boost and can handle much more PSI than stock. if your car is mainly stock and you drive it daily and around town, there is really no need for it..

my "great" gas mileage was 21mpg lol, i ran one for a while too, and it ran rich in boost and cruising

mine would run a touch more rich under idle and not much under cruise.. 21mpg, how was your driving style? hell, alot of modern vehicles dont get that actually.. I could milk mine for 26-27MPG if i kept my heavy foot off of it, now if it was laying into it everywhere, it was 18-20

I had a 1g MAS in my last driver. I consistently got 19 mpg (my typical commute is about a 50% mix of city and highway). The car only had minor modifications; 3" exhaust, etc. I didn't drive the car too hard but I did routinely 'enjoy' it.

I also don't recall any noticable difference in terms of mpg prior to installing it.

Kevin

If you are going to get a wideband or even a narrow band air fuel meter , its a great way to start tuning your car. It will run richer, but you can watch and fix it. The unmetered section can be removed so it pulls in more unmetered air and leans it a little , also there is an adjustable brass screw in there you can pull out for more flow. I say do it.

The car is far from stock. Soon to go on is a wideband and an 18 when I get a better financial status. Lol. I'm just looking for moderate performance on the street while still having the decent mpgs. So I'm looking for more of a balance. My goal is to be pushing 18psi by the end of the year before buying my 87 starion. But it's just strugling to keep a steady level at high boost. It floats between 10 and 12 psi when wot and it throws off the fuel delivery cause the air intake isn't steady and it makes it run like crap at WOT. I might give it a shot tomorrow when I do my ABS delete and see how it does. Btw...I get about 25mpg's mixed city and highway at about 50/50. So I'm enjoying the mpg's at the moment lol.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

Sadly TQ that wouldn't be in the near future. My money is tied up all the way to the last penny. Between the turbo and SAFC and wideband and living costs I can't even see far enough ahead to a GM. If I paid that much i'd just go MS and not worry about the MAS. But right now I've just got to use what I have :-/

Thanks,

Charles Palka

(This is not directed at you but more for the "newbies")

When the word 1G MAS is used , in threads such as these the word "TURBO" is often left out.

This need to be addressed from time to time so no one tries to swap in a nonturbo 1G MAS

and wonders, what went wrong or why their car runs worse.

I have not personally tried to use a version 2 translator on a 1G MAS to tune it but from what I've been told,

it can be done.

Don't worry...i know the difference. The non-turbo looks similar if not identical to ours. I have the 1G turbo MAS. Got it from a friend who has a 1g talon.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

You have the correct connector spliced in also?

How is it supposed to be wired I forgot...

Edited by Metric-man

You dont' "have" to splice it in. You can just do the old trim the mas plug connector and bend the extra pin down trick.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28110&hl

According to the thread in the FAQ's

you can even transplant the connector terminals.

Edited by Metric-man

You have the correct connector spliced in also?

How is it supposed to be wired I forgot...

You can either go with trimming the side of the plug that's on our cars and do it that way or you could take all the pins out via a needle or very small screwdriver and you can pull the locking pin back from the connectors crimped to the wires and just lock them into the 1g connector in the same order as factory.

Charles Palka

I'm getting about 23mpg in my car. 14b turbo 10 psi, hard pipes, 88-9 ECU, 52mm tb, 1g mas. I unscrewed the screw on the mas to lean it out some at idle. I'm around 12-13 at idle. I don't drive it like I stole it everywhere either.

Awesome to hear that. I just put the MAS in today and am going to pick up my 1g BOV tomorrow. (Yes, I know that can sometimes hurt MPGs. Oh well.) But I might have to loosen or take out that screw as well because it's running pretty rich at idle. It also doesn't idle as smooth I guess from the richness so I'll mess with that tomorrow.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

my "great" gas mileage was 21mpg lol, i ran one for a while too, and it ran rich in boost and cruising

I got the MAFT sitting at low 14s cruising and mid 11s WOT. Im seeing about 25mpg. Going to throw in those ID1000s I have sitting next

lean that cruise out until the car starts hitching, then throw a couple points back in.

I ended up not using the 1g mas for now. I modded the stock aircan to fit the mas but it ran so lean and was bucking so much that I had to screw the plactic screw in a bit and got it a little better but it still bucked like crazy and I don't have the time to keep adjusting it at the moment so I'm holding off for a little while longer.

I forgot to add I have a 1g bov recirculated.

I have a 1g bov vented to atmosphere and it runs fine and I've seen NO decrease in mpg's. Although...how much do ya'll normally crush them? I've crushed mine quite a bit and it's gotten stiffer and stiffer but it's still opening up a tad easy. It still opens up with ANY release in the pedal although it'll now hold shut if boosting 12psi. Should I crush it a little more to keep it from opening on very light throttle releases? LMK.

- Charles

• 2 weeks later...