cruise control problems

survyor22

Cruise control hasn't worked on my 89 conquest since I have owned it. The control stick does light up to activate. I have recently replaced the actuator under the hood. The previous owner replaced the cruise computer in the trunk and prehaps I should replace it again from a parts car to be sure. What else should I check?

My car starts without pressing the clutch or brake. Is this normal? If its not normal this could be the problem as the cruise system thinks the brake or clutch is in.

Thanks,

Dennis

I believe there are two switches on the clutch pedal. One or both may be disconnected.

I always disconnected the switch that makes you push the clutch in to start the engine on every car I have had.

Yes its normal to start without the clutch pushed in. There is a cruise control cancel switch on the clutch, it grounds to cancel so pull the connector off and see if it fixes the problem.

There should be a little bumper pad on the brake and clutch pedal arms that contact the cancel switches. It's common for those to erode and "disappear". Might look there. And my 88's got a neutral safety switch, but only because I added it.

Both of my switches (Brake cancel AND Clutch cancel) have the rubber grommet on the pedal, but my cruise still does not engage. The light comes on the stalk, and it's getting vacuum. I'd love to fix mine....

• 2 weeks later...
The actuator, there's two flapper valves in there and the filters were foam that turned to sticky goo ten years ago and pieces fall into the openings those flappers have to cover and it will never work because there's no vacuum built up into the actuator to pull the cable in. You can take that actuator apart and replace those foam filters, they are just under that tin lid but to separate the metal from the plastic halves you have to pry those three mashed down straps out so its a circle again.

The actuator, there's two flapper valves in there and the filters were foam that turned to sticky goo ten years ago and pieces fall into the openings those flappers have to cover and it will never work because there's no vacuum built up into the actuator to pull the cable in. You can take that actuator apart and replace those foam filters, they are just under that tin lid but to separate the metal from the plastic halves you have to pry those three mashed down straps out so its a circle again.

I did this once in about 10 minutes....fixed the foam with the help of the local Dollar Tree, And sanded out some rusty goo inside and ....viola!

Good tip Indy!

-N8