anyone else see an issue with intercooler placement in this vid?

patra_is_here

I think I read somewhere that they do that because they plan on going sideways. Mounted in the traditional position does nothing going sideways. But I also don't see how mounthing it like that does any good either.

well, typically v-mount intercoolers have a scoop in front, AND an exit scoop in the hood.

secondly, a horizontal mount isn't for drifting. the reason people typically use v-mount or even a horizontal mount is due to packaging limitations, space constraints. (example, RX7)

i think this is just bad engineering.

theres lots of ways they could make it work quite well i think.. maybe theyre not finished. like a front spoiler and negative pressure vents above the ic to draw air through maybe? like they do with radiators to keep the heat off the motor and such... nah then theyd be blasting the ic with hot air from the rad if it was right blow it... oh i give up...

It's done this way and in similar fashions to expose more fin surface area, in turn wicking away more heat. These guys may be a bit too horizontal with theirs, but its an A for effort.

Subaru's have a scoop that directs the air in and straight down, just like a front mount does front to back, but from top to bottom. This is done for packaging and shortness of IC piping. Ever install a FMIC on a Subaru? You add like 40" of piping.

Packaging constraints are not the reason the v-mount setup exists, think about how much extra space a horizontally mounted radiator & intercooler occupy. I think it has more to do with efficiency and weight distribution.

well, it's packaging AND it insures that the radiator AND the IC both get fresh air, rather than the radiator getting hot air AFTER it's passed over the IC.

but both need proper ventilation.

http://www.amazon.com/Induction-Performance-Practical-Supercharging-Turbocharging/dp/1859606911

has a great chapter on IC layout and design issues.

I think these guys need to get some vents on the hood.

and, as far as tubing length is concerned, we have to remember that pressure is moving at around 300 feet per second, and minor differences in length is negligible in all but the must critical is applications.

and, as far as tubing length is concerned, we have to remember that pressure is moving at around 300 feet per second, and minor differences in length is negligible in all but the must critical is applications.

Critical application: Bragging rights on the internet.

-Robert

As far as weight distribution lower would be way better than were it is placed now. As far as cooling if it has duct work built from the grill opening to the radiator and intercooler it might cool decent but i feel that it would be more efficient in the grill opening with duct work. I dont know what they do for drifting maybe it works better mounted there.