almost had a huge problem yesterday

Shelby

daughter #1 call'd 5:45 am to ask if i could bring my utility trailer and help them move stock from her husbands ware house to storage ,, the ware house was 80 miles away

she had a 26 or 28 ft u-haul truck she would be driveing ,, that alone was enought to make me take along a few xany's :)

skip ahead 7 hours and we're load'd up for the first trip (will take 2or 3 more trips )

about half the way home she makes a left hand turn onto a county road ,to her rtight about an 1/8th miles away was a curve to the left , looks nothing comeing ok

she no more then just barely makes it across to the right side of the road when this idoit on a bike

comes sideing past her , missing the rear of the u-haul by inches

i was behind her and also look'd to the right when she did,,this kid had to be doing a 100 or more when he came arround that curve WITH NO HEAD LIGHTS , blk bike with black shirt ..

he came with in 1 sec of being dead did that teach him any thing hell no he gave her the finger a couple times and yell'd some curse words then proced'd on and pass'd 7 cars all with double yellow

at well over a 100 mph

and kids wonder why bikers get a bad rep ,,unbeleaveable

on my last trip along same road i had a guy in a pick up truck round a curve and flip'd his truck over 3 or more time takeing down 3 pine tree's right in front of me comeing towards us , i call'd 911 but he was unhurt

speed limets are there for a reason

At that speed, he would have been burger. Some people lack common sense, it seems to have become a commodity now a days that alot of people just don't have.

I see it all day long. I get stupid people who think its a good idea to cut infront of a 9+ ton truck and suddenly slam brakes. I got chased down into a parking lot by riad raging heavy set woman in a mini van because she was hell bent on not letting me enter "her lane" when I was clearly able to. Gave me the finger, cursed me and all.

Well as curtis payne says...A.. WOOPING...if you ever caught him.. Edited by rcm

He was hoping death would come for him that night. A helmet will do nothing at those speeds anyway.

Helmet would keep his brains from splattering all over the road.

funny you bring this up... i continuously see bumper stickers, yard signs and advertisements saying "look twice save a life" and it has a picture of a motorcycle.... yet in the end, the motorcyclists are the ones who really need to be watching for us(car drivers) due to the fact that 90-% of MOTORCYCLISTS are failing to follow the safety tips/laws put in place to save their own butts in the first place.

Coming from someone who races 200+mph bikes on the track, my old manager said it best when I had asked what bike he rides on the street... "what, do you think I am crazy? I dont ride on the street..its not a matter of "if" its going to happen, its a matter of "when" its gonna happen.

It PO's me too, but I've come to realize that kids (at least the ones around here) and bikes don't mix. I stole a term from a buddy of mine many years ago that's become more true as the years have passed. I call them "donorcyclists".

Glad you and the daughter are ok.

We call them squids. The t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes rider. No helmet or lights just add to the squidness.

I ride and I always ride like I am invisible. I enjoy riding and hope to for many more years.

the motorcyclists are the ones who really need to be watching for us(car drivers) due to the fact that 90-% of MOTORCYCLISTS are failing to follow the safety tips/laws put in place to save their own butts in the first place.

I agree witth the first part of what you said, but the 2nd part is crap. Yes, motorcyclists need to watch out for cagers. But its because cagers dont give a crap about bikers. Best advice of 2 wheel riding ever is "Ride like you are invisible to everyone else." And by making the claim that 90% of bikers fail to follow rules is just complete garbage. Clearly you don't ride. I do and I don't associate with the people who don't ride safe. I can promise you that I don't pass on double yellows, I do wear proper safety gear, have proper insurance/registration and dont' speed more than anyone else on the road. Nor do any of the ppl I ride with. I promise you that our numbers far outweight the squids out there. You just never see us because were not doing something obnoxious and attention-getting.

Sorry to rant here, but that completely wrong "fact" set me off.

We call them squids. The t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes rider. No helmet or lights just add to the squidness.

I ride and I always ride like I am invisible. I enjoy riding and hope to for many more years.

damn straight

I agree witth the first part of what you said, but the 2nd part is crap. Yes, motorcyclists need to watch out for cagers. But its because cagers dont give a crap about bikers. Best advice of 2 wheel riding ever is "Ride like you are invisible to everyone else." And by making the claim that 90% of bikers fail to follow rules is just complete garbage. Clearly you don't ride. I do and I don't associate with the people who don't ride safe. I can promise you that I don't pass on double yellows, I do wear proper safety gear, have proper insurance/registration and dont' speed more than anyone else on the road. Nor do any of the ppl I ride with. I promise you that our numbers far outweight the squids out there. You just never see us because were not doing something obnoxious and attention-getting.

Sorry to rant here, but that completely wrong "fact" set me off.

ok,,I guess i should have not made it sound like i was quoting a statistic - it was a generality based on my personal experience. I was around the bike scene (crotch-rockets) for about 6yrs, seeing what all i saw was enough for me to steer clear of "90%" of the bike riders around here - which in turn has left me to avoid ALL motorcyclists on the road in general.

a helmet will help hold the head in one piece so the cops can ID the seperate'd from the body 100 ft away

seen that once already

In one of those "scared straight" traffic schools I had to go to as a kid after being clocked in at over 125mph through down town LA. Highway patrol showed us pics of accidents, never forget the one about the motorcycle guy with no helmet hitting concrete steps head first! Brain matter splatter 6-8 feet up the wall!

Or the one about the poor fool who was wearing a helmet but a drunk driver went into opposing traffifc, his helmet went in the windshiled and his body bent backwards on the roof of the car, cops called it PEZ.

to expand on what i said this happen'd a long time ago mid 80's , my new son in law at the time and i were seting at stop light,,

street to the left none to the right , i look behind us and flying up the road is this kid on a bike ( doing 70 + ), i say he ain't gona stop to Lewis , and he didn't he got over to the right and in the grass , the problem was the right side had ruts and he start'd to loose control ,went over to the left and hit a power pole with his helment so hard his head went one direction and the bike and the rest of him the other ,,this all happen'd about 3 feet in the front of our truck

it was a hard to forget sight to be sure

Interesting to me is there seems to be a LOT of people out there that look at something like the Smart car as a death trap they would never take on the highway, but yet think motorcycles safe enough for them.

mm

Its all about using good judgement no matter what you are in.In a smart car you feel the same as if you are in a one tone suburban and you text and do twiiter updates and get lost in the comfort just like any real full sized car. One a bike you are forced to be alert alot more and use your vision and judgement and not rely on the steel cage, in my opinion that is the whole problem , people think okay i got a smart car so i am good, or okay my powerstroke deisel is huge so if i hit anyone i will be okay. We move away from relying on our senses and rely on other stuff. On a bike you have to be more alert and stay away from danger. Today i was in the walmart parking lot and some folks from texas in a new bmw almost creamed me as they backed up. They have back up assist and all that high tech garbage and they depend on it to save them. I guess rear veiw mirrors are obsolete?

I will take my crotch rocket over a smart car anyday and i will be safe because i pay attention. No comparison a smart car versus a bike.

Going to space is dangerious should we not do that? Going out to the club / bar area is dangerous... do you really want to miss out on the ladies? There is risk reward with most things.

I do agree most people should not drive let alone ride, and I purposfuly did not start riding till after 30 (I would have killed myself in my youth) It comes down to the person, do they have the ablity and selfcontrol.