Sealing up head's oil passage w/ MPI

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/01_head.jpg

The MPI intake completely covers this passage between intake runners #1 & #2 and initially a couple Magna gaskets were used successfully. Yet, when they became unavailable, silicone was used and it didn't work. Since I'm getting the head worked for a new cam, would there be any problems with having this passage welded closed? There's no purpose for it without the stock intake anymore and I believe this is why I was burning oil through the tail before as well as a leak that developed externally that traced back to this.

Are u talking about the big gaping hole above ports 1 and 2? Cause if so there is supposed to be a plate that bolts there.

That plate doesn't work with the Magna intake

Why not cut out your own gaskets based on the Magna gaskets you said worked initially?

Yes, and the plate & bolts don't fit because of the intake being flat and covering it. I'd rather not hack out a massive chunk of the intake for that. Been so long since stock intake, what's that hole there for?

Magna gaskets are long gone, but they were the wrong thickness anyway and took a few to match the FelPro. I'd rather take care of it for good and not have to keep chopping up other gaskets and siliconing them in place hoping they hold again. Just wanted to check with those who know before putting the head in for surgery.

I belive i have been told it is for a mechanical fuel

Pump on some carbed cars.

Correct, mechanical fuel pump on the FWD carbed versions and maybe the forklifts.

Anyway, go to the parts store and get some gasket material, cut it out the same size as the blockoff plate and sandwich it inbetween the intake and that flange surface. Use a dab of silicone around the flange that is compatible with oil and fuel. I did mine like this and it held great.

Why wouldn't you just take the easy route and use gasket material and RTV? That's what I used and that's what most people use. Welding on the head is going to cost you way more money and could potentially damage the head. How many times are you taking the magna off the head anyways? Mine hasn't come off since I put it on, because it never leaked....and I used RTV...

I used 2 fuel pump gaskets (cause they are thin) and some RTV on mine. Also done the "cut it yourself" and RTV method. Both worked well.

That hole isn't used on our cars at all MPI or stock, not sure what it's purpose was on other vehicles but for us it has none

Can we get a confirmation on this as we have other trust worthy people here saying they "plugged" it?

Which I would assume they would not have done if it wasnt needed.

The route of the problem is that most of the modded manifolds were "machined flat" with a hand grinder. Some have had to have them properly machined flat to solve the sealing problems. There is precious little metal there to start with and some was wasted by the the guy with the hand grinder.

Have welded it but it would warp the valve cover surface. can be done but you have to be aware of the warp factor.

Use two pump gaskets like Chad suggested. Film of sealant between each. No, it won't hurt to block that off it does nothing but let oil puddle up.

The point is the gaskets on each must combine to be the same thickness. The only reason Felpro stuck that THICK gasket in those kits was to make up for a wavy intake manitold but they include the thin one too for good surfaces. You see the same measuring steps taken for the intake as the head to check that it is flat. The intake manifolds DO WARP. If you flatten the intake flange, you have no use for that thick Felpro gasket and if you do use it, you're only asking for trouble as the coolant and boost pressure are pushing coolant slowly into the layers of the gasket and the more gasket paper that's there the shorter time it will last. OEM gaskets are just thin paper.

There are Magna gasket sets, just look on ebay AU, they are everywhere.

http://www.ebay.com.au/dsc/Car-Truck-Parts-/6030/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=magna+gasket*&_catref=1&_dmpt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM008350.JPG

That plate doesn't work with the Magna intake

Why not cut out your own gaskets based on the Magna gaskets you said worked initially?

Do you have a pic of the Gaskets I supplied you? That may help some

Do you have a pic of the Gaskets I supplied you? That may help some

One of Bag-o-Chips's gaskets

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh538/leesfer/IMG_20120511_162620.jpg

Edited by leesfer