My road race weekend

Convette

So I finally got the car ready enough to tackle a real track day on a road course. Left sat evening, drove 3hrs to the hotel. Got to bed around 12:30am. Woke up at 3 due to unbelievable rain and thunder storms.. I really thought it was going to be the end, watching my poor car get blasted by rain. Water got everywhere.. all in the engine bay cause of the hood and cowl not being finished.. pretty depressing. Went back to sleep at 4:30. Got up at 6, went to the gas station to fill up, and check stuff out. Got to the track around 6:30, it was still raining and not looking very good.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1557.jpg

Finally after the drivers meeting, the rain stopped but the track was still crazy wet. Nitto nt-05s are HORRIBLE in the rain! First 2 times out, I couldn't do anything, steer, stop, accel...nothing. And they didn't want you to "drift" so i had to try and control myself...lol

We broke for "church quiet time" from 10:30 till 12. After lunch the track was dry, and it was incredable. It felt really good to finally see what the car can do on a real road course. In the dry the nt-05s are def the most impressive tire I've ever driven on. Unbelieveable responce and grip like I've never felt before. Once they were up to temp it was crazy. I was in group 2 (only 2 groups cause so many ppl didn't show up) and got to hunt down some great cars. I'll save that for the videos (trying to upload now). Heres a teaser.

I finally got the car on a real set of scales... once again amazed at the out come. For building the car blindly it came out damn near exactly how I wanted. Stupid balance side to side, and I have plans to lighten up the front a bit, not too much though, cause I love the way it handles.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1562.jpg

I got a rediculous amount of track time, the car ran like a animal all day. Brakes suck, and I def reached the limit of this suspension setup, diff started pukin a bit...But now I know its weakness's and they will be adressed. The hood however worked great I could feel it working and the car ran cool as a fan all day.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1568.jpg

Drove it home 3hrs without a problem. I love my car.

Videos to come. Stay tuned.

Edited by Convette

Thanks guys. Finally heres 1 of many videos. There were tons of cars, but for some reason I ended up being in the same pack most of the day. To be able to get by a new Grand Sport Vette, STi's, and prolly the hardest car to pass, a lotus 7, was huge for me and the car. I'll do my best to get all the videos up eventually, some need to be edited cause they are HUGE. I was hunting out there. Tech I've already been working on a diff cooler :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ely9NL46wy8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Convette

awesome man. Crazy that its still lighter than factory after adding that HUGE cage, bigger wheels and bigger motor

Yeah, but...there's nothing in it! :-). Not to take away from Vette's work. It's amazing. But it's really a race car for the street. No heat, no ac, no interior, hvac, blowers, etc. But 2800 lbs is still amazing for a heavier drivetrain and cage. But I guess since he did drive it 6 hours back and forth from home it could still be classified as a road car. Congrats on the reliability, that is the big thing.

Damn, Lucky lol. Yeah road racing will really point out the weak points in a car.But you know, once you do that....you'll just want more.

For all we know, you'll do something crazy like turboing that monster soon after, lol. But seriously, congrats, that's ultimately what I want to build my SQ for.

Very cool write up and sounds like an awesome day at the track once it dried up. Must be nice to barely shift and stay in the torque curve! I gotta get my butt down to the road race school at Englishtown this summer, but I dunno whether I'll take the Vette or the Starion, LOL. Edited by Fuze

Very cool write up and sounds like an awesome day at the track once it dried up. Must be nice to barely shift and stay in the torque curve! I gotta get my butt down to the road race school at Englishtown this summer, but I dunno whether I'll take the Vette or the Starion, LOL.

That's what got me. I think about the 2jz vs. LS1 debate. Both have their qualities but I don't know if the 2j would be nearly as good of a road race powerplant. The powerband on the LS1 is soooo flat. Gotta love it.

Glad you like the tires J! I don't think we talked about them last summer, but I run the NT05's on my Stang. They had just come out when I changed up wheel & tire size. I've always thought they worked well. Haven't had the opportunity to notice the down side as to the rain. I have noticed they aren't quite as sticky straight line as I had hoped for though. Gonna go back to the vids now, take care & TTYL :ph34r:

Looks like fun and your car sounds healthy. I like your custom dash, the way It gives the SQ a modern look. Is the dash custom or did you pull it from another car?

That's what got me. I think about the 2jz vs. LS1 debate. Both have their qualities but I don't know if the 2j would be nearly as good of a road race powerplant. The powerband on the LS1 is soooo flat. Gotta love it.

I don't think we have had a 2jz vs ls1 debate......You don't see big turbo cars on a road course.....

I don't think we have had a 2jz vs ls1 debate......You don't see big turbo cars on a road course.....

No, I really wasn't suggesting a debate, though now that you mention it. It would be a closer comparison in terms of apples to apples than the 2j G54 debate. But I think your right, even if your lag isn't much at all, there is a disadvantage coming out of the corners with a turbo car. You can break spool it but I think that is much more difficult on the track. There are quite a few people that run 911 turbos on road courses and some of the older ones had pretty bad turbo lag. I don't know.

I don't want to highjack Vette's thread. Maybe I will throw it up in the bs section. Sorry Vette! Back to your BA Quest.