bulletproofing the driveline

yzrider

The 88-89 diff and axles are obviously stronger I am swapping my 87 over to that and getting custom axles made. Has anyone had problems with the differential itself? im trying to make my car handle power without issue what else can I replace or focus on. I got poly rear mounts to help with wheelhop and will be getting d2s soon to dial it all in.

I've never heard of read diff troubles...but I've heard of axles breaking from as low as 240hp with a good hook...axles seem to always be the weak link...

first I heard of it, Convette abuses them regularly, he snapped the driveshaft like a twig and the rear end is still doing good..

first I heard of it, Convette abuses them regularly, he snapped the driveshaft like a twig and the rear end is still doing good..

Convette probably has 370whp and isn't doing 4k clutch dumps with slicks if he wanted to...they would break....They will and do break.....4cylfury, Phinko, Serpent, Highlyboosted,....all over 400hp...have broken axles more than once....

Convette probably has 370whp and isn't doing 4k clutch dumps with slicks if he wanted to...they would break....They will and do break.....4cylfury, Phinko, Serpent, Highlyboosted,....all over 400hp...have broken axles more than once....

good to know.

Drag radials sidewalls are so stiff the slicks usually have some cushion to them. So really not much to worry about. Im getting custom axles and a driveshaft made for the car I guess there really isn't anything left to worry about.

I didn't break axles... :ph34r:

yzrider...

Where you gonna get your driveshaft done? Mine has 1310's front and back, aluminum shaft from Shaftmasters, I think you can get it from them in 1350's too. Driftmotion sells the r154 slip yoke in 1350 also.

custom axles aren't necessary. the rear end can handle a good 600hp while laughing at you.

That's about when the rear stock 88/89 axles will fail assuming you aren't running slicks and the rires are hopping up and down. Easter is around the corner so I don't know what people have in mind.

Yeah its only a matter of time before my axles let go. They've been clicking for about 50k miles..lol. Clutch kicking 275s isnt the best thing for them. And Tech its hard to break something that doesnt move...lol My driveshaft only failed because I ran a hollow u joint. I then had an adapter built so that I could use 1350 spicers front and rear. I cant see spending near 1k for built stock axles when you could swap the whole rear for less than that. Soon enough I'll be doing something different.

I cant see spending near 1k for built stock axles when you could swap in a much inferior rear for less than that. Soon enough I'll be doing something different.

fixed.

edit: I have to take that back, I just remembered you have the skills to make damn near anything fit, but if it came down to parts and labor you could not match the IRS AND power capabilities for under $1k

Edited by The Rabbit1

fixed.

edit: I have to take that back, I just remembered you have the skills to make damn near anything fit, but if it came down to parts and labor you could not match the IRS AND power capabilities for under $1k

I'm not sure why you think our rear setup is "superior".....

I'm not talking about live axle my friend. IRS from a cobra can be found for around a $800 for the entire set up hubs and all. I did have to replace my torque tube once also. It didn't break, but the teeth were shot.

I'm not talking about live axle my friend. IRS from a cobra can be found for around a $800 for the entire set up hubs and all. I did have to replace my torque tube once also. It didn't break, but the teeth were shot.

that's why I said you can make stuff fit and work, but again, a cobra IRS isn't much stronger..