The Nutrition- work out, eat right, how to loose weight and get in shape thread.

Ironside

I might drink two soft drinks a week ( diet mtn dew ) I normally drink Lipton diet tea with citrus and water. I do love my coffee in the morning but I use Equal as a sweetner. I drink a lot of water at work bout 60 oz I guessing. I fill up my 16 oz Lipton all day at work.

One thing is my wife is a good southern cook and I hate to say no...

Just because it says diet does not mean it dosn't have other junk in them. Honestly unless for some other medical condition just use the real stuff (sugar) The other fake sugars are just chemicals in most cases that can't be used at all and are just taking up space and using resources your body could use to deliver good nutrients and remove other bad stuff. As for the water you got it right there all I drink. But I shoot for 300 OZ a day. I got a 40 oz cup I have 3 or 4 by 10 am.

I see a few others have tossed there stats in, and a few others directing you to WHOLE FOODS... IE no prepacked, no long list of ingredients ect.

My stats.. Im 33 (on 3/12) im 6'3" @ 208.6 as of right now. I would call my frame normal.. . So by BMI (which is a JOKE) I am just touching the obese line. but that is because I have muscle, I don't have my 6 pack any more but I am far from a gut.

I love the PF pushups idea. We should put some type of scale on it though. say max pushups in 2 min 50 a min is a very good rate so if you hit your 100 like was talked about in 2 min you are ripped up or cheating the pushups

Edited by jszucs

Just because it says diet does not mean it dosn't have other junk in them. Honestly unless for some other medical condition just use the real stuff (sugar) The other fake sugars are just chemicals in most cases that can't be used at all and are just taking up space and using resources your body could use to deliver good nutrients and remove other bad stuff. As for the water you got it right there all I drink. But I shoot for 300 OZ a day. I got a 40 oz cup I have 3 or 4 by 10 am.

I see a few others have tossed there stats in, and a few others directing you to WHOLE FOODS... IE no prepacked, no long list of ingredients ect.

My stats.. Im 33 (on 3/12) im 6'3" @ 208.6 as of right now. I would call my frame normal.. . So by BMI (which is a JOKE) I am just touching the obese line. but that is because I have muscle, I don't have my 6 pack any more but I am far from a gut.

I love the PF pushups idea. We should put some type of scale on it though. say max pushups in 2 min 50 a min is a very good rate so if you hit your 100 like was talked about in 2 min you are ripped up or cheating the pushups

Now thats a pile of great information right there.

Now thats a pile of great information right there.

Aww thanks, I am no pro but I did learn allot in my psyco 3 years of trying to have no body fat. In retro spect taking it to an extreme level was stupid. I hit a 6% body fat in an immersion tank (think the old science experiment where you drop pennys into a full glass and measure the water displaced) basicly the same thing. It's the only true accurate way to measure body fat but is much harded and requires the equipment unlike the calaper and math or a BMI guess methods.

Truly the most importnat thing is to learn to listen to yourself / yourbody. It's just like learning to listen to a car..... Makes this funny noise or smell or sound ECT and you know exactly what your starquest needs right? Well same thing with your body. I got to tell exactly when it needed carbs, or when I needed protien, water ect. Your body will tell you you just have to figure out the signs.

Just keep it reasonable or you will get frustrated and quit

Well I'm doing good today. I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast 6am, a kashi granola bar at 8am, a protein shake at 11:30, just ate about 6oz of grilled salmon and a hand full of peanuts. At my 5:30 break ( I'm at work ) I will eat my other salmon steak and another handful of peanuts. I might have to drink one more shake before I go to bed to hold me over.

How does that sound for one day?

I was described as "sickly" by girls in college because I was so thin. When I finally started drinking at 24 and got a nice belly started, I was pretty happy with it. 6 years on I've pushed the belly thing far enough and have decided to take it back to where it was at 26 (it was a good year) and keep it there as long as possible. Here are some things I've done:

Started knowing (not tracking) roughly how many calories are in what I eat / drink. I dont track it, but knowing helps me decide when things like donuts or sodas are just not worth it. I heard yesterday that the average american drinks 608 cans of soda a year. I was floored. I probably drink like 1 soda a month now and its usually mixed with something. I've cut back on beers SIGNIFICANTLY too. Even a light beer is 100 calories so stepping up to a nice wheat beer and having only one or two a night still beats a 12 back of coors light and gets the job done just the same.

I've replaced snack foods with raw spinach. Sounds like a real defeat for my inner fatty, but its not. I realized I was usually snacking just out of habit, not because I was hungry. Now I get a few servings of fresh greens while I watch TV or at work without even realizing it.

As for exercise, I bike 2 miles to and from work every day. Its not much at all, but it helps wake me up in the mornings, saves me gas money, and is faster through the city than a car or a bus. Next thing I did was sign up for a big hike. Its a 62mile hike over 21 hours and its 2 days before my 30th birthday. To prepare I went out and walked 20 miles with my girlfriend and hurt so bad I started taking it seriously. Now I do 20 miles every 2 weeks hoping to build up callouses and muscle for the big hike. I have done a few stints running over the past few years. Lasted for a few weeks at most. Never had the pain in my likes like I do after these training hikes. Totally different muscles than running that's for sure. The big hike is going to be nuts. Somehow I'm super excited about this. Also, you'd be amazed what all you can see in 20 miles. I've gone from Downtown Baltimore to the woods where you can't even hear a car and back on my own two feet. I've also passed through more neighborhoods than I can count and found some great surprises along the way. I highly recommend taking LONG walks as a way to get in shape.

Results? I'm not using a scale. My belly is my gauge. It used to be a full handful, now its half that. Hoping there won't be anything to grab by next Fall.

I wish i could eat the minimal ammounts of.food you guys are talking about.. i am 270lbs around 10-11% bodyfat with visible abdominals and require 7000ish calories per day to maintain this bodyweight.... Also being a trainer that specializes in male body recposition In the last 7 years I have not once had a client whom was dieting taking in under 2500 cals a day... Your body can use a lot more calories than people give it credit for as well as using processed foods to build muscle and strength.. there is also a place for them when dieting. Best thing I can say for those looking to lean out is to study high gi and low gi carbohydrates.. stick to low gi for less insulin response and no red meats.. eat a lot of viberous vegis.. and don't overdue it on cardio... Even competitive Bodybuilders don't usually do high intensity cardio as it is very catabolic, the majority is low intensity so your body pulls from.fat stores faster for energy instead of having to deplete glycogen and then have only a small op tp burn fat before y start burning muscle for energy

I wish i could eat the minimal ammounts of.food you guys are talking about.. i am 270lbs around 10-11% bodyfat with visible abdominals and require 7000ish calories per day to maintain this bodyweight.... Also being a trainer that specializes in male body recposition In the last 7 years I have not once had a client whom was dieting taking in under 2500 cals a day... Your body can use a lot more calories than people give it credit for as well as using processed foods to build muscle and strength.. there is also a place for them when dieting. Best thing I can say for those looking to lean out is to study high gi and low gi carbohydrates.. stick to low gi for less insulin response and no red meats.. eat a lot of viberous vegis.. and don't overdue it on cardio... Even competitive Bodybuilders don't usually do high intensity cardio as it is very catabolic, the majority is low intensity so your body pulls from.fat stores faster for energy instead of having to deplete glycogen and then have only a small op tp burn fat before y start burning muscle for energy

Wow, That takes an enormous amount of work and dedication to achieve that much mass and so little fat. I applaud all the work you have put in. I'm not looking to get that much mass, I basically would like to feel light on my feet again and have great stamina.

Do you have any good eating plans or links that would help in achieving these ambitions. I guess I want to feel 18 again if you know what I mean.

I agree both movies are a good place to start. WOW 1800 a day and I would waste away to nothing might want to be cautions with that advice as everyone is diffrent and once you get in shape your body will require more. .

There are professional nutritionists recommending 1500 calories or less per day for life, regardless of your perceived "needs", and none of them waste away to nothing. It goes without saying that everyone with an actual problem should consult their doctor before they start any diet program, but there's nothing unhealthy about an 1800 calorie/day diet. We just grossly over-consume as a society.

There are professional nutritionists recommending 1500 calories or less per day for life, regardless of your perceived "needs", and none of them waste away to nothing. It goes without saying that everyone with an actual problem should consult their doctor before they start any diet program, but there's nothing unhealthy about an 1800 calorie/day diet. We just grossly over-consume as a society.

My wife is an RN at the local hospital and we were talking the other day. All of the regulated diets are 1800/day no matter the patient size. Cardiac, diabetic, whatever. Just sharing.

Someone who is very fit and has a high muscle content needs more. IE look how many calories mike phelps takes in.... there is a reason. But yes on avrage I totaly agree we do over consumer (as in with everything not just our eating). I guess this leads to the point ...... the major thing about working out is you need to learn to listen to your body and to what it needs.

Edited by jszucs