The Nutrition- work out, eat right, how to loose weight and get in shape thread.

Ironside

I'm into almost 30 day into the supreme 90 day workout (generic p90x system) picked it up at duhnams sports for $20! Its a great workout you can do at home, but I suggest doing it with a friend or spouse to keep yourself going!. Get yourself some dumb bells and a cheap exercise ball, your good to go. getting ripped and loving it, its not too hard, but it will challenge you! I lost about 4 lbs, but lost more inches than I did pounds, pants are loose and shedding fat! It works, I didn't have any idea how to exercise, this system shows you how!

Around here fixed gears = hipsters.

Anyway, back on topic. Motivation is the hardest part for me, after long days on my feet and soooo many people and things that need my attention, I don't feel like exercising. What I need to do is to make a certain time exercise time. I love running, so that's what I'll probably do.

-Robert

Running is good yo, but when you start getting up there in age it takes a toll on knees and joints. I really enjoy running and am slowly prepping my self to get into a routine again. But this time around, may take up riding bikes as well, some hiking trails and some chasing my kids around the park.

Best time to exercise is in the AM, get those endorphin's flowing early, eat a hearty breakfast and lunch, light dinner, not eating past 6PM, having natural snacks between meals. Key is to keep metabolism working through out the day, don' t intake empty calories like chips, cookies, sodas, junk food, even juices can be considered empty calories.

Mmmm empty calories yum

Yeah, empty calories can be delicious. That is precisely why most Americans have gotten into the obesity zone, advertisers do a hell of a job convincing us to consume junk food, sodas are primary, junk food, fast food, processed foods, crap in bags, boxes, cans etc.

I'm 32 and got a "beer belly", feel tired all the time, and don't sleep well.

Here's what I've done:

At work: Park as far out in the parking lot as I can. Take the stairs until my knees start to ache, then take an anti-inflammatory. We have to do rounds in our watch stander area, so I walk laps while I'm out there. Squeeze in a few situps, pushups, and chin ups on pipes and stuff around the plant.

At home: Chase the kids around more, has more benefits than just my health. Bought a cheap treadmill from the thrift store, run on it at least 4 times a week, good even pace for at least thirty minutes. Push mowed the yard but have moved since then and haven't gotten my own place yet. Do a few pushups, pullups, situps, in the morning. Again, when I get my own place I'm going to start busting firewood, I used to do that as a kid and boy did it help me strengthen up my whole body. Also going to get an old tractor tire to flip, another good whole body workout.

Diet:

Have one canned Soda per day. Cans are 120 less calories than a 20oz bottle. Water the rest of the day. Drink whole milk, even though it's supposed to be sooo bad for you, one glass a day. Buy eggs from a local farmer, they're fresh from the chickens butt, literally. Quit buying processed foods for example cheese and butter. The ingredients list on the cheese and butter I buy now says: heavy sweet cream. Nothing else. Cut my meal portions in half and snack more often throughout the day, mostly on fruits and nuts. I drink a large glass of water before meals, it neutralizes stomach acids and slows down digestion. Helps you poop better too. I eat oatmeal everyday, my own blend of whole oats, cream of wheat, walnuts, almonds, pecans, sunflower kernels, raisins, and dates. Just as yummy and no sugar like the pre-packaged stuff. Speaking of sugar, locally produced honey has become my go to. Natural sugars are easier for your body to deal with and local honey has been helping with allergies. I've been eating more locally grown stuff, and once I get my own place, food I've grown myself. On Sunday's I'm a little naughty, I go out to eat and it's usually something that will make a nutritionist cringe. Drink one beer a day, has tons of antioxidants and good for a kidney flush if it's one a day. I go to bed earlier, too. Typically when the kids do around nine.

I've just started and it's hard to stick to all the time, but I'm already feeling better just two weeks into it the exercise portion. Other things, I've been doing for a while. I had a college professor tell me one time that it takes thirty two days to make something a habit, so that's how I've been doing all this in steps.

Edited by MainstreaM

I was 17, 5'6, 205lb, 34 waist in December. I cut out all soda and snacking in the beginning of Jan and cut my portion sizes greatly. I'm now on my 8th week of p90x. I did not follow the p90x diet, but I have been eating a lot of lean cuisines for meals and similar portion sizes when I don't. Haven't had fast food in almost 2 months. Even with missing probably 10 solid days of workouts on the schedule, and I've started to snack more the past week, I'm now 18, 5'6, 183lb, comfortably 33 waist.

For those that know me, I've got quite a large, wide shouldered, big chest kind of build so while I lost 22 lbs so far, I feel I've lost a lot more fat. I build/gain muscle so fast/easily when I lift and work out that I think I've just put a lot of muscle on too. Recently I saw Fanta here and he commented on how I look leaner and that is compared to last time he saw me which was last July at PF when I was more around 190ish.

I lost 19 pounds the first 2 weeks cutting out soda and large portions and snacks and junk food. Water, small break fest, sandwhich for lunch, and small dinner with a protein bar and glass of chocolate 2% after every work out.

If I could give only a single suggestion to someone for the biggest change: DRINK WATER. occasional milk or juice is okay but 95% water! Soda is such a killer!

-Justin

That's right, put in work, move your ace, go beserk. Eat your salad, no dessert, get that man you deserve.

-Robert

lol, no need for salad man, just less junk and more activity.

I know people that will drive everywhere they go, so lazy that they will waste 30 minutes of their time waiting for that one parking spot right in front of the mall entrance, cuz they too darn lazy to walk. Then they consume a meal that could feed a small family in a third world country and wash it down with a liter of coke and then complain that they can't seem to lose weight? hhmm, wonder what's wrong with their logig? lol

I'll be watching this one...

I'm almost 39, and am probably in better shape than a lot of guys my age, but can see that I need improvement. Actually, I wouldn't say I'm overweight, I just have weight in all the wrong places. I'm still 6'2", 200lbs just like I was when I was in good muscular shape. I never had a 6 pack, but I was close to a 4 pack LOL. I used to have decent sized arms and strong chest and shoulders. I've always had toned legs, and still do because I'm on my feet and moving a lot, but my arms have gotten a little scrawny. Pretty much all the weight that used to be upper body and arm strength, has found it's way to my belly and my moobs. It didn't really dawn on me until the other day when I was brushing my teeth in front of the mirror without a shirt on and things were jiggling.

I got a free weight set from my uncle that has been collecting dust in his garage since the 90's and plan to get another mountain bike since I used to love doing that back in the day. With all that and chasing a baby that is on the way, I should be able shift the weight back around to where it used to be.

I know diet and excercise are key, but I think for me, excercise is the big changer. I've always been able to eat lots of not-so-healthy stuff and as long as I stayed active, I could remain fit. Makes me want to do a diet documentary. Instead of Supersize Me, I want to do a beer and burger diet. Live on nothing but water, beer and burgers, but get lots of excercise. I wonder if I could be in better shape after 30 days on that than I am now? Hmmmm......

A lot of great advice. One problem I have due to breaking both my legs ( knees and ankles right one twice ) when I run or jog my right knee will swell. Its been a few years since I tried to push it again because I don't want to have the fluid drawn out again. Back in HS I was a wrestler, I wreslted at 135 lbs and I am currently 235 lbs at 5'11". So running might be out of the question until I lose about 30 lbs. Doctor said I needed to weigh 180 lbs. Thats a stretch for me because I am kinda stocky built. A few weeks ago I was in chat with Lance S and my son was talking crap that he could do more push ups then me. I took him up on it and beat him bearly, I was out of breath and he was surprised to say the least. I think I did near 30, Lance witch is a couple years older then me beat me by ten I think.

I have the P90X I was thinking about just doing yoga every day for a couple weeks to try and loosen up a bit before I attempt the full 90 day hit. My son 14yr is constsantly on me to work out and get in shape. I helped him loose some weight before a football season so he could play a position he wanted. So he could be my inspiration and compitition in one. That boy is getting fast and strong fast so I hope I can keep up. Kids recover so damn fast, it seems like after every dirt bike trail ride I am sore for a couple days.

Keep up the advice and suggestions.

I replace breakfast and lunch with a Slim shake from Walmart. Twelve pack for $9 from Walmart. Then I can eat what I want in the evening. I also run a minum of five times per week. You don't only loose weight, you also save money as well.

I've been doing this for about five years. It keeps the energy flowing. I'm a professional runner so this works for me.

A lot of great advice. One problem I have due to breaking both my legs ( knees and ankles right one twice ) when I run or jog my right knee will swell. Its been a few years since I tried to push it again because I don't want to have the fluid drawn out again. Back in HS I was a wrestler, I wreslted at 135 lbs and I am currently 235 lbs at 5'11". So running might be out of the question until I lose about 30 lbs. Doctor said I needed to weigh 180 lbs. Thats a stretch for me because I am kinda stocky built. A few weeks ago I was in chat with Lance S and my son was talking crap that he could do more push ups then me. I took him up on it and beat him bearly, I was out of breath and he was surprised to say the least. I think I did near 30, Lance witch is a couple years older then me beat me by ten I think.

I have the P90X I was thinking about just doing yoga every day for a couple weeks to try and loosen up a bit before I attempt the full 90 day hit. My son 14yr is constsantly on me to work out and get in shape. I helped him loose some weight before a football season so he could play a position he wanted. So he could be my inspiration and compitition in one. That boy is getting fast and strong fast so I hope I can keep up. Kids recover so damn fast, it seems like after every dirt bike trail ride I am sore for a couple days.

Keep up the advice and suggestions.

Alright Perry,

Because men are men and we can't stand to loose I officially challenge you to a pushup contest at PF. Sounds like you just need a little motivation so here you go. If you drop the weight, you will be able to do significantley more pushups with the same muscle mass. We will both look like fools together and do them in front of everyone in the parking lot. And we have to do them BEFORE we start drinking. That gives both of us time to get in shape.

Now as you know, I am best at 185, though this summer I was down to 180. I am currently 205. I know, i know, 20 lbs in 6 months, that is what happens when you go to school full time and sit on your butt for 50 hrs a week studying.

But no excuses!!!! To work out I have to get up at 5:00 every morning which isn't easy for anyone. And I haven't been doing that enough. So I may have a slight advantage currently cuz I don't have as much to loose but such is life. You can do it!

This morning I had a bowl of lucky charms and a pop tart! But I am on spring break from school so I am indulging. Anywho, PF isn't far so manup for the PF challenge! You have 5 months, heck, you could do 100 pushups by then. The equalizer is that I am 4 1/2 years older than you so that should make up for your fatness! :D

Bring it!!!

L

• Like 1

Alright Perry,

Because men are men and we can't stand to loose I officially challenge you to a pushup contest at PF. Sounds like you just need a little motivation so here you go. If you drop the weight, you will be able to do significantley more pushups with the same muscle mass. We will both look like fools together and do them in front of everyone in the parking lot. And we have to do them BEFORE we start drinking. That gives both of us time to get in shape.

Now as you know, I am best at 185, though this summer I was down to 180. I am currently 205. I know, i know, 20 lbs in 6 months, that is what happens when you go to school full time and sit on your butt for 50 hrs a week studying.

But no excuses!!!! To work out I have to get up at 5:00 every morning which isn't easy for anyone. And I haven't been doing that enough. So I may have a slight advantage currently cuz I don't have as much to loose but such is life. You can do it!

This morning I had a bowl of lucky charms and a pop tart! But I am on spring break from school so I am indulging. Anywho, PF isn't far so manup for the PF challenge! You have 5 months, heck, you could do 100 pushups by then. The equalizer is that I am 4 1/2 years older than you so that should make up for your fatness! :D

Bring it!!!

L

Ah crap... My son is going to love this!!! If I can drop 40 lbs and keep the muscle mass I have I might get there. I might have to start drinking to make that much of a fool of myself before we we start the competition. If the joint pain would go away and energy level was there I wouldn't have a problem.

Time is aginst me though. I work a 12 hr shift, so its hard to get a routine going. My work schedule is weird. One week I work Monday, tues off Wed, Thurs, work Fri, Sat, Sun. the following week is oppsite off Mon, tues, work Wed, Thurs off Fri, Sat, Sun.

So it makes it difficult.

Heck with it, all I can do is lose.

Perry, I dont know if they have a gym in your area, but Ive been doing crossfit for about 6 months now and absolutely love it

www.crossfit.com

Ive never really been into working out, but Im getting to the point where I really enjoy it. I have always been a little on the chunky side. Crossfit, along with some pretty minor diet modification (trying to eat less, eating whole grains, much less sugar, almost no soda etc) has really helped me slim down. I have also put on a lot of muscle. I have to get up at 5:30 AM to do it, but its seriously the best way to start my day. I have a bunch more energy days that I get up versus days when I dont make it.

The lady I rent from lost like 70 pounds in a year of doing crossfit. My girlfriends parents both lost about 40. If they have one in danville you should check it out!!

BTW, dont be intimidated by the workouts if they seem like too much. Yes, they are intense. But you can scale down the weight and modify the exercises to a level you can do. And working your way up to the standard weight and exercises is very rewarding :)

Realistically you can drop the weight without working out. I don't recommend this, exercise is key. But if you want to drop some weight and don't or can't work out then start with your diet. Just not drinking soda and not eating fried foods will help you dump weight quick.

i am dropping soda as well, its tough. I am surprised at how much my body calls for it. Going through coke withdrawl. lol. Hopefully it will be over soon. I quite smoking 14 years ago, this is way easier.

I might drink two soft drinks a week ( diet mtn dew ) I normally drink Lipton diet tea with citrus and water. I do love my coffee in the morning but I use Equal as a sweetner. I drink a lot of water at work bout 60 oz I guessing. I fill up my 16 oz Lipton all day at work.

One thing is my wife is a good southern cook and I hate to say no...

I might drink two soft drinks a week ( diet mtn dew ) I normally drink Lipton diet tea with citrus and water. I do love my coffee in the morning but I use Equal as a sweetner. I drink a lot of water at work bout 60 oz I guessing. I fill up my 16 oz Lipton all day at work.

That's a toughy right there. When your wife really knows how to cook. And she's bringing out the meat and potatoes every night. Brother I hear ya. Fortunately, and I say this with all the love in my heart for my wife, I don't have the same problem you do. :lol:

My wife is a good cook, she caters and cooks internantional foods, specializes in Middle Eastern cooking. Saying no to her cooking is not an option. Really. lol

Quitting caffeine is the toughest, i think harder than smoking. Most soft drinks are caffeinated, even tea. Coffee is my biggest weakness, I just enjoy it so much.

There's no secret though, except perhaps consistency. Work out, often, and for the rest of your life, and eat less than 1800 calories a day. You'll be amazed how well you feel.

I agree both movies are a good place to start. WOW 1800 a day and I would waste away to nothing might want to be cautions with that advice as everyone is diffrent and once you get in shape your body will require more.

as for what to do.... First and for most have a plan. Be cautious what you set your plan / goal on... IE weight is a VERY VERY bad goal especialy long term. There are a few reason for this. you can platou and get discuraged, you can actuly end up going the other way IE up in weight but down in size IE loosing fat and gaining muscle.

DIET DIET DIET and when I say diet I don't mean the latest crazy, all juice, ect I'm talking just what you eat. First and formost ALL POP, non 100% juice, fake juices, favored drinks ect must go.... Not in the house can't eat or drink it.

Next WHOLE FOODS. Yes your going to have to cook for real, and it's going to take time and ingredients will cost more but will be much better for you. Dinner is an hour prep and cook for me every night. NOTHING is made from already preped ingredients, no prepacked, only whole foods. This does a few major things. You know what your eating, you will take in much less preservatives and other added fillers (this allows your body to devote resources to removing other junk including when fat is broken down)

Next and this one took me awhile to learn..... Don't go super extreme IE trying for no sugars at all ect (this eliminated everything I could eat and caused me to end up failing) You need to find something I call "livable" IE you can eat this day in and day out but it's not super bad for you. It might not be the "Best" thing you could be eating but it's good for you and it's livable. For me this is Cinimon Life Reason being it's fairly good for you, it's whole grain so fiber, sure it's got some sugar and you could find things with less but IT TASTES GOOD and I could LIVE with eating it day after day. It also transports easy and makes an easy snack (if you can eat it dry)

Don't let yourself get to the "sick" point. I got adicted to working out. I lifted 5 days a week 2.5 hours. I also would put my food on a gram scale then chart in my log book then onto my plate. I was also trying to 100% seperate carbs and protien. Only carbs before a work out only protien after a work out. It's extremly hard and 99.9% of everything is suplemented, but I made the most amazing leaps and bounds in my fitness. Remember your diet is a good 70% of your workout.

Find a buddy it really helps, helps keep you motivated, can pick you up when you slip. If it's a G/F or B/F or wife / husband ect all the better. I found it easist when I had that person I was always around and we could push each other.