My 500 dollar or less MPI build!

so you think thats what made you decide to do that? or it was easy? easy and cheap isnt fast or reliable. It's just the way the world works.

fuel puddling is bad mmkay. fuel puddling makes explosions happen. the bad kind of explosions.

at least you have a weak point (zip tie hold down) so it isnt a solid aluminum bomb.

and I don't know if I should ask, but what is that pipe made from? the one coming off the turbo that looks to be made of tape and possibly cardboard or something.

for being almost done, your "just need to" list is quite long and that's not everything.

I'm not dissing your setup/design. I don't like being the guy that says "it won't work", but this will disprove alot of engineers that work with EFI, IF it makes power and holds up. I'm not doubting it will run. Just doubting its functionality/usefullness. Megasquirting the TBI would have made you better hp/reliability than this setup.

But finish what you started and let us know.

the fuel rails are not held down by that one zip tie, i know it is hard to see but there is a metal bracket I made in the middle to hold them both in place, actuall it is really hard to see in the pics but i promise it is there, thanks for reminding me actually, i have to take that zip tie off haha, just tested today there is no leaks in the fuel system at all! as for the fuel puddling well that does seem possible so I will check on that and see what I can do to correct it IF it is puddling but i can say it was idling fine!

oh and on the pipe coming off the turbo, it's the stock rubber one, i just wrapped it in black tape because it was so damn dirty and impossible to clean and was ugly.

Edited by DSMvirus1

well you guys were right on the whole puddling fuel issue, just checked, but i found a resolution! and am already working on it. will be posting pics soon. ( will be actually correct this time aswell)

sooooooo just igore those fuel rails on top ok! thanks for pointing me in the right direction about that anyway, i'm fixing it right now, no more bs, gonna get it right

Edited by DSMvirus1

I got it guys, i'm a fing idiot ok. well i corrected my mistakes best i could i haven't posted pics yet not 100% sure i'm gonna though, but anyway an explaination of what I did was, I put one injector rail on top as close to the head / valve opening as it would go, and did the same on the bottom of the manifold so one on top, one on bottom. i'm sure you guys have something to say about spray angle about injectors being on the bottom or whatever, but it was really the best i could do

I got it guys, i'm a fing idiot ok. well i corrected my mistakes best i could i haven't posted pics yet not 100% sure i'm gonna though, but anyway an explaination of what I did was, I put one injector rail on top as close to the head / valve opening as it would go, and did the same on the bottom of the manifold so one on top, one on bottom. i'm sure you guys have something to say about spray angle about injectors being on the bottom or whatever, but it was really the best i could do

Nope on the bottom is ok, but why not just run one set of injectors?

OK! i'm pleased to a say that i'm finished with the manifold! intercooler piping and all that! and im feeling good that it will perform fine! ( i hope)

I managed to use only the stock intercooler piping and a easy mod to the intercooler and it fit well.

All I have left to do is finish some of the wiring to megasquirt because I had to hack it up a little :( , and the solder spots came loose in the connector. but i will be finished with that soon! ( also I need to put the car back together of course )

pics!:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7174/imag0342h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3008/imag0344m.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8838/imag0345k.jpg

Edited by DSMvirus1

At least he tried and made his own creation and had fun doing it. Im sure it has been a great learning experience.

And a little bit of constructive criticism never hurts, you just have to take it the right way and use it to your advantage. The best teacher is yourself.

Edited by QuestFan

even if the cost is limited, Taking proven Ideas and incorporating them in to your build will make the biggest difference. In all honesty there are alot of flaws to the design. When you really pick away at it, a lot of physics and mathematics go into building a MPI manifold. Runner length, Runner velocty, Plenum volume, Injector spray pattern, Injector Placement, and Material Integrity have a lot to do with part integrity. It's the same concept as "you can't slap on a bigger turbo and be fast" There's science and math behind all the Different proven MPI designs.

Don't worry, I already know my design and idea is pure flaw. but I did it, and i'm sticking with it, even with all it's flaws and probably performance drop whatever, I can still say it's MY design.
  • Like 1

Don't worry, I already know my design and idea is pure flaw. but I did it, and i'm sticking with it, even with all it's flaws and probably performance drop whatever, I can still say it's MY design.

I don't post much but big ups to you for tring I went threw 4 mpi setups before I went Magna and the only reason I went magna was for 110 bucks with everything was not bad thankyou ebay but keep ya head up I seen cars with worst setups and still be fast so each his own when something goes wrong there is one person to blame yourself and it is easier to over come the problem then just my 2.6 cents!!

The Header I'm building is MY design by right. but when you look at it collectively, It has been influenced by many High HP build ups and condensed to one functional unit. Chad, Indiana, SMB, Chromepuff, Questfan etc... have all had inputs to the build up. Some good and some bad, ultimately when you put it in perspective it was all for the common good.

Constructive criticism is just what it is, Criticism. Even if the whole design is flawed you should still consider the important bits of information we as a community give you. We (i speak for a majority) are such a tight knit community because there is a growing lack of aftermarket support for our cars as the years go by. Innovation from one member to another is what keeps these cars on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another member right now duplicating my Parts builds. If they are, I'm flattered. I know for certain that my build up is damn near similar to another fellow members here. Because of that, we can exchange information regarding success and failures during our trial runs.

In the end do you really want to take credit for a failed setup just so you can say "it's your design"? I'm glad you got this far! like most have stated, most MPI builds don't get as far as yours has. I applaud you for the efforts and not giving up, especially since its been trial and error.

I just don't want to see the day when someone asks "who designed this time bomb?" you have no one to look at but your self. You can do better and we all know that. Where cheering you on but throwing rocks with messages on them at you. It's up to you to read those messages.

-Chips

I understand that, the only issue is that I did not know, and nobody told me that my runners all have to be equal length, my guess is that was is what everyone see's as my projects biggest flaw.

Lots of carb motors had unequal length runners.A couple of inline 6's come to mind. if its tuned decent it will run ok. So what if a couple of cylinder run richer? Supposedly the stock intake has that problem. It never ran right before for you, so you might as well try and tune it in now. Where did the second set of injectors end up at? I lost track.

The unequal runners won't work in the end but the worst part is those injectors. You said they spray in a split stream and those were made for a port with a division in it that split for two valves and those must be aimed at the valve nut just stuck in the runner because what's going to happen is the fuel will just run down the tube and pour in and if you open the throttle and it revs up its going to backfire and it may just blow apart because to me it looks like you have glued it all together.