Question for the engineer's on here

Fanta

Long story short, going back to school and was seriously considering the Mechatronic Engineering program.

http://mechatronics.spsu.edu

The only thing that concerns me, and others have brought up, is that it's a "specialized" major in the sense that it's a narrow field, versus Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is "broader and more versatile". Would you all agree on this, or based off the curriculum, that the major is pretty well set as well ( they just had their first graduates this past month since the program's inception in 2007, so it gets its accreditation next year )

Edited by Fanta

"Specialized" is fast becoming "general" in regards to mechatronics and it's applications. You get the benefit of learning mulitple disciplines with one degree. Hybrids are driving the demand for electro-mechanical components that are replacing old vacuum controled units. Automotive suppliers are dropping big money into these programs as are other industries. Manufacturing relys heavily on machines based on mechatronics for production; both in volume and quality. The alternative energy lifestyle is going to grow jobs for mechatronics at an exponential rate so it's best to start looking towards that field now. Take a look on any job site and you'll see Wanted: Hybrid controls engineer, hybrid developement engineer, manufacturing controls and processes engineer...all positions that require a basis in mechatronics. The gov't is pounding the desk for lower emissions and more fuel ecomony. I've seen the programs coming 4-5 years from now and hybrids/or electronic technology makes up half the total product to be developed. Military/Aircraft/Science all use electo-mechanical components and have a vast array of opportunities. I'd say this is a great time to get into that sort of degree and secure your spot on the cutting edge of technology when you're finished. Being that you will enter a more competitive market means you are going to see a more competitve pay; i.e. you'll make more than a run of the mill ME or EE.

Your situation allows you to move anywhere and do anything you want. The benefits of having an 'advanced' degree cannot be quantified, but trust me, it pays off in more ways than one.

My opinion: Do it.

<--B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and work in the auto industry.

Edited by Elkidmino

I'd stay in the general category rather than specialized. Whatever industry you choose will dictate you 'specialty'. Keep a general major to provide the most flexibility in industries.

I have a B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and I work in the nuclear field.

Kevin

<~-~-~ P.H.D. in the "Mad Doc" status Degree in the University of my Garage.. :P Both Mechanical and Electrical Engineers are in demand, my friend Luis is a Turbine Engineer, my father is a Metallurgical Engineer (Retired) Engineers are the super book smart ones! Edited by VICE

Do you care about where you live? Specalized fields dictate where you live more than general ones. It's fine if you like living in areas that have those specilazed jobs, not so good if you prefer living specific areas where that work is scarse. I was able to take my general coursework and work in a very rural area because I was able to adapt it to the work available in that area that I wanted to live in. I tried the "big city" and traveled all over the country, I got tired of it after 10 years and moved back "home".

Think about your future in those regards too ;)

I'm now in a very specalized field, there are only about 40 people in the whole state that do what I do (and only about 11 in my company), but I'm also irreplacable because of that. I also get to have the "big city pay" in my small town.

Yeah not much "Work" for an older M. E. like my Father here in Orlando, FL where there is mostly just Tourism and the Hospitality industry but back in Buenos Aires where we're from he did real good back in his earlier years, traveled to Egypt and all kinds of places.. My friend Luis moved from FL to NY, to France then to Tennessee is where his jobs we're taking him or he relocated for so I agree you gota go where the work is.. I'm just gonna hit the benches now since I am not even a real Engineer lol.. Edited by VICE

Do you care about where you live? Specalized fields dictate where you live more than general ones. It's fine if you like living in areas that have those specilazed jobs, not so good if you prefer living specific areas where that work is scarse. I was able to take my general coursework and work in a very rural area because I was able to adapt it to the work available in that area that I wanted to live in. I tried the "big city" and traveled all over the country, I got tired of it after 10 years and moved back "home".

Think about your future in those regards too ;)

I'm now in a very specalized field, there are only about 40 people in the whole state that do what I do (and only about 11 in my company), but I'm also irreplacable because of that. I also get to have the "big city pay" in my small town.

Well, from what I can assume, the major would lead to jobs that would essentially be in the very least, the metro area of major cities in states, which is fine by me. I tend ot like a 50/50 so far of city/rural life.

I can automatically assume off hand that it could take me to California, Texas, Japan, Ohio, and other world regions.

I say go mechatronic all the way. With my EE degree I have often applied for jobs that also want some mechanical know how. I just bring up my car and usually get the check+ ;)

It's a great degree and once it gets accredited that really helps out. You won't be disappointed imo

If it's not accredited now, I wouldn't go for it. I've only got an AS in Manufacturing but I work in the Nuclear field and it provides a very good living, along with the ability to take you world wide. I'd suggest ME with focus in Nuclear. After some experience, even if you want out of the nuclear industry, it will carry a lot of weight when searching for jobs in other fields.

Kane

If it's not accredited now, I wouldn't go for it.

The only reason why it isn't is that the program was just started in 2007, so the first graduates happened this past spring semester. Since the ... ABDET? only takes accredation at the beginning of every year, it won't be till Jan of 2012 when they apply for theirs.

I also agree that if its not accredited, I would be VERY VERY wary. Saying "we'll be accredited next year" is the automotive equivalent of a car seller saying "its always knocked some on startup". Accreditation is not an automatic deal, there have been schools that don't EVER pass. A degree from a non-accredited school is a high stakes gamble jobwise and you won't ever be able to be licensed. Licensure isn't as big a deal for ME/EE but I'd still recommend it personally. Now, if they can offer some sort of guarantee about accreditation that would be better (like money back in full with interest).

Like everyone says, specialized versus general should be dictated by what job you are seeking. Being able to move around is a big plus careerwise, but has its disadvantages otherwise. My boss is the director of a 700m project and he has worked more places than I can count. He refers to it as "kicking my lunch bucket down the road". Moving around is such a big advantage that I can say I know of at least a dozen engineers I consider idiots that make 2x+ what I do.

In general keep in mind that engineering isn't always the best job market. The economy has to be growing for there to be projects to work on. Another thing to consider is that engineering IS exportable to some extent. Engineers that sit in a cubicle and tap away at computer will have to compete with Ariujul from India someday. Hands on and field work type engineering is safer in that reguard.

I'm BSCE and thats about as generalized as it comes ;) I took materials engineering related classes while in school and used that to get a job. Once in the job I started specializing in inspection management because I saw that as a need my employer had. So keep in mind that starting general probably doesn't prevent you from a specialized job later.

Mike Meyerhoff, P.E.

Edited by MikeMeyerhoff

BSEE, PE; also agree with Kev. Wherever you end up, they will teach you what you need to know. Having the degree is simply evidence that you can be taught.

No matter what the circumstance, I would also be leery of getting a degree from a non-accredited school/program.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Ken B.

The university itself it accredited, the program isn't only because their first graduates just happened ( just clearing that up ) their ME, EE, CE, IE, and SE program are all accredited.

Hmm, thanks for the advice thus far. Definitely something to mull over.

Nude - I know your reading this thread, take heed :lol:

also fwiw - cubicle would be okay and all, if it paid well, but in the end I've found myself always a more hands on type of person. I've worked a desk type job since I was 14, and have worked some jobs on the side that involved being hands on. Definitely prefer the hands on.

Edited by Fanta

I've worked a desk type job since I was 14, and have worked some jobs on the side that involved being hands on. Definitely prefer the hands on.

If you really want to go hands on you may want to consider MET, EET or any of the other Technology degrees. In my experience most "Engineers" end up either being some glorified supervisor or they get stuck and not really allowed to be an engineer. What I mean is they get stuffed behind a desk ordering parts and dealing with someone else's problems instead of engineering the latest and greatest ideas of their own.

Mike is 100% correct, a LOT of them are highly overpaid idiots