6g72 transplanted

Turbo_Addict

So what happened to this? I saw this thread on here and on 3si. Good work man. Thanks for posting all the information. I want to do a 6g72 swap but will probably stay with the stock ecu and stock wiring harness for the 1st gen motor. Please post updates.

• 1 month later...

Hey all - sorry for no updates, got a little busy with my son being born just before Christmas. :) So everything took a bit of a back seat for the past few months.

But back at it now, sent the injectors out for cleaning and testing - they were pretty bad, around 65-70% capacity with crappy spray patterns. Much better now after refurbishing. Got them re-installed and fired her up again for the first time in months. Purring nicely most of the time but has an occasional pop/backfire - not sure why, probably timing related.

Having my fabricator make up some brackets for me so I can get the tie rods fastened up. Hopefully that will be done this week and I can start buttoning up the rest of it, get it on a trailer, and bring it to go get tuned. Still tons to do inside such as all the gauges, trimming out the shifter, and all that fun stuff - but nothing that would keep me from getting a tune on it.

Before the baby came, it did come out of the garage and back in under its own power, so the transmission and the bell housing that Bill made worked flawlessly! Starter engaged and disengaged with no issues at all and turns the engine over very easily. Bill's work is incredible.

More updates to come soon. I've even put the rest of the body back together... header panel, grill, just need to get the cowl hood painted and back on, and it's done from that perspective.

have you run the engine enough to explore any cooling problems?

Just got it up to operating temps (not currently running a thermostat), and it got about 150 and stayed there... but it hasn't done much more than idle at this point.

Whatcha got in the works Bill?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting closer... sorry for falling off the face of the planet. Have a new baby boy (my first) and he just turned 6 months old... so the past 6 months have been pretty insane. But now he is becoming a little more self entertaining, and my schedule is starting to get back to somewhat normal, so I can sneak out to the garage from time to time.

Anyhow, here is from today... resolved some ignition issues, and it's running quite nicely now. Pulls in and out of the garage without any problems. Just need to figure out something for the torsion bar mounts on the front suspension, but will get to that soon enough.

Oh, and Bill... idling for about 30 minutes in 97 degree Texas heat, and it got to about 195 without a thermostat in it... so yeah, either the fan is not enough, or the radiator isn't flowing, or the overall cooling just needs to be looked at more :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trNXb7Asn1M

Edited by Turbo_Addict
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much finished trimming out the interior today... got the shifter housing fitted, mounted, and even the lighted gear indicator working properly. The leather boot finished it up nice.

Had to dice up the center console to fit, but it's close. The power mirror switch is still in its stock location. Good thing I went with manual seat belts - that would have made it even trickier.

A little more fine detail work, but the general concept is done. I like it - it feels perfect too, the height, location, everything. Really diggin' it.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/interior1.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/interior2.jpg

Here's the dash... using an Android tablet with a bluetooth adapter from the megasquirt ECU. I will work on a more custom dash later, but for now, the suction cup mount is going to have to do. I will make a full fiberglass molded one some year, but need to research and learn all about that stuff first. :)

so sick. What app is that? I'm running torque with the race add on. great upgrade for cheap.

Its Shadow Dash MS... Specific for Megasquirt ECU's. I'll have to take a look at torque though. Is that only for OBD2?

Hey, I'm having difficulty adding dashboard files to shawdow dash. Can you please explain how you setup your dash file and got it to work in the app?

I haven't really done anything with it yet, just using the default 4 dashboards... Once I detected the bluetooth adapter, it allowed me to do what you've seen in the video, I haven't tried any modifications to them yet.

Skillz, this is a 7" Acer Nexus 7, 16gb tablet. Got one real cheap on Amazon, and only went with the 16gb since it is really only being used for the car.

I'm using a galaxy tab 2 7" and the default dash that starts up has the speedo and g meters and such and when I swipe to the next pages they are blank. My understanding is the best way to use shadow dash is to put a tune file and a dash file into the folder where it needs to be on your device and shadow dash will look nearly identical to tunerstudio dash. I wish MSDroid, which allows tuning, would support tunerstudio dash files.