6g72 transplanted

Turbo_Addict

Sweet man. Is that 16an for your coolant or 20an? Thinking about going 16an for the JZ...From what I've read its plenty at the 1"

Not sure actually - I can get some measurements for you, outer diameters and what not. That was done prior to me purchasing the project.

Thanks, getting pretty excited of the progress and can't wait to get the exhaust mounted up - this thing is way too loud with just downpipes. lol

Upgraded the MS2 to the latest firmware yesterday, and I guess megatune is now no longer supported and need to use Tuner Studios solely... so redid everything in that and hopefully will be on the road to a fully running vehicle shortly. Tuner Studios has a VE Analyze Live option, and apparently with a wideband and that, it can pretty much automatically dial in your fuel VE tune within 5 or 10 minutes of running.... so for basic idling and driveability, that'll probably work out well. But for under boost conditions, we will definitely be going on the dyno for proper tuning. :)

Here are the new tables - everything set to speed density again too:

Fuel VE Table:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Tunerstudios-VE.jpg

Timing Table:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Tunerstudios-Timing.jpg

AFR Table:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Tunerstudios-AFR.jpg

Your not reducing timing based on more load(boost)? or is their another setting for that?

Actually hadn't done anything on timing table except for idling up til now. Someone over at the 3si forums saw that too :) He gave me a great table as reference so I made the below changes... should be safe starting point:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Tunerstudios_Ignition.jpg

Actually hadn't done anything on timing table except for idling up til now. Someone over at the 3si forums saw that too :) He gave me a great table as reference so I made the below changes... should be safe starting point:

Just dont want you blowing that awesome motor up if you get on it the first time and it does high boost and your at 30 timing! Altho your map may be a bit too conservative but i am not sure what load is for what PSI. Not enof timing can make problems also(like glowing turbos). So if you do run that map I would dyno tune it before driving any amount of time. Of course your going to see big gains with dyno tuning it! As far as money per hp dyno tuning is one of the best things you can do with a ECU like yours. Not to mention all the other benefits to the engine.... Make sure you have someone that is knows how to tune the 6g72. I am not so maybe it likes the low timing under boost.

Definitely will be dyno tuning - probably have someone do it professionally if I have the funds available. I'll get it close, but then bring it in for the final dialed in tune.

But the guy that gave me that reference timing table is making 883 AWHP, so I feel pretty confident in it as a starting point! LOL

In that table, 250kpa is right about 20psi, and 100kpa is atmosphere, and I tried to just even it out in between. So thinking around 12 lbs of boost at 5000 rpms will be somewhere around 8 degrees or so. But I am like you... not by any stretch an expert in 6G72 motors, so really will need to find someone who is.

Can't wait to see what it can do though. Getting closer and closer each week. :D

Edited by Turbo_Addict

Steve's moved to a different area, not sure where, but a ways from where I am now. There's a guy close by but he's a Corvette guy mainly - may just go to T1 Racing out by Joe - we've seen their results. :)

Oh - thanks to Gofastredstar, got the exhaust mounted up last night. I love the view from behind. ;-)

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/backside.jpg

Edited by Turbo_Addict

you better make 800+

Would love to get in that area... if its a 4 bolt block, I've been told that's certainly not a problem. If it's a 2 bolt block, then about 650 is max. Only way to tell for sure is pull the oil pan - but have some feelers out too, to see if the previous builder would know.

Anyways, it's idling nice now, but getting backfiring from the drivers side only. Thought it was timing related, but then was feeling the exhaust and noticed that passenger side was nice and smooth, but drivers side was rougher - felt like it had a miss, and would backfire. Pulled the plugs, first two were blackened as expected, but last one by firewall, looks brand new - like it was just taken out of the box.

Tested the wire to the shock tower bolt, and it is definitely getting good spark. So my guess is that the injector is not working on that one

Would a dead injector cause occasional backfire?

Running better now... exhaust is on and idling nicely. Transmission is working nicely too, goes through the gears great and I can watch the wheels finally spin on their own :) Just need to address an oil leak on the drivers side turbo return line and dial in the tune under a little load, and should be ready to pull out of the garage and see the light of day for the first time in over two years. hehe