Lost my job today

Skullzaflare

$300/wk huh? Not bad. Can't do much to the quest at that income level though. Might want to get back to work.

To the OP, what does your resume look like, and are you willing to move for work?

it pays the rent.

anyway, dont be lazy about signing up. i've been job less since october and didnt sign up for unemployment till a month ago. only thing that did for my was use up my savings.

so, sign up right away. you dont know how soon you will be seeing a job.

I just got layed off last Friday. The company I was working for has been slowly moving all production to Honduras. Because of this particular situation, myself and the other 300 people working there have the opportunity to go/return to school under the TRA/TAA program. People that take advantage of the opportunity can draw unemployment compensation while in school/training for up to three years. Unfortunately, the maximum unemployment amount in Alabama is only $265 which is 1/2 the average wage at the company. For a comparison, maximum unemployment in North Carolina is $505 weekly.

Nah don't worry about it. The wife and I paid around $400/wk in taxes last year. We covered his unemployment.

if your both gov employs Chip don't that mean we ALL pay your wages ;)

unemployment pay outs are directly relate'd to what you paid in and has nothing to do with what tax's some one else makes or don't make , so in effect it's your own money you are collecting

Your right as usual Shelby.It's dependent upon which state your in but generally unemployment compensation is paid out from a pool of money that is created by employers.The more money they pay out in wages the more money they must contribute.That money is administered by the unemployment compensation folks.Employees do not directly contribute to unemployment compensation but without the employees there is no company and no money so to me it's a what comes around goes around type of thing.There's no shame in collecting.

if your both gov employs Chip don't that mean we ALL pay your wages ;)

unemployment pay outs are directly relate'd to what you paid in and has nothing to do with what tax's some one else makes or don't make , so in effect it's your own money you are collecting

We're not both government employees, but either way, our wages would be a bargain to tax payers at twice the price. My comment about our weekly tax rate was a joke that resulted more from the fact that I was doing my taxes last night than anything.

I think the adverse reactions to the toad's comment stemmed from the fact that he emphasized getting paid "for not doing anything." There's no shame in collecting it. I've collected unemployment. It shouldn't be something you gloat about though. It's there to hold people over while they "aggressively" seek new employment. Not doing anything just rubbed a few of us the wrong way.

I think the adverse reactions to the toad's comment stemmed from the fact that he emphasized getting paid "for not doing anything." There's no shame in collecting it. I've collected unemployment. It shouldn't be something you gloat about though. It's there to hold people over while they "aggressively" seek new employment. Not doing anything just rubbed a few of us the wrong way.

BINGO!!!!!! But can we expect anything less from the Toadster...he is even to lazy to use Google let alone maintain employment...

I was simply saying that you dont have to do anything while on unemployment. Its not like I'm not actively looking for a new job.

And that's the argument why unemployment shouldnt exist...

EDIT: Doesnt your state require you to be looking for employment while collecting?

Edited by averse