So I ran out of gas..

The Rabbit1

Ran out of gas, was thinking I could make it two more miles, learned quickly that the quest doesn't have much patience.

anyhow, got two gallons of gas, poured into the tank, would not fire. wouldn't even register fuel pressure at the gauge. Added another two gallons just in case, and same thing. came back to the house, looked at FSM quickly, grabbed my jumper wire (which is why I came back to the house anyway) and went back to the car. Verified it still wasn't starting, jumpered fuel pump at test connection and fuel pressure shot right up. Started up like nothing happened, and drove the last four blocks to gas station.

Is this normal or is pump going out? something else bad? Pump will be replaced with walbro soon, but just thought I'd ask about this weird phenomenah.. it wouldn't surprise me if this is normal as this car defies logic at times.

Ran out of gas, was thinking I could make it two more miles, learned quickly that the quest doesn't have much patience.

anyhow, got two gallons of gas, poured into the tank, would not fire. wouldn't even register fuel pressure at the gauge. Added another two gallons just in case, and same thing. came back to the house, looked at FSM quickly, grabbed my jumper wire (which is why I came back to the house anyway) and went back to the car. Verified it still wasn't starting, jumpered fuel pump at test connection and fuel pressure shot right up. Started up like nothing happened, and drove the last four blocks to gas station.

Is this normal or is pump going out? something else bad? Pump will be replaced with walbro soon, but just thought I'd ask about this weird phenomenah.. it wouldn't surprise me if this is normal as this car defies logic at times.

this is how it works on some cars

since you ran it dry for say. there was air in the line. since the pump isnt in the tank, it needed bleed to get the fuel up. on our cars the pump only runs when the motor is turning. most likely cranking didnt give it long enough to get the fuel back through the line

You just took about 20K miles off of the life of your fuel pump by running out of gas.

Learn to think and plan ahead. ;)

For What it's Worth.

KEN

Live and learn.When the fuel gauge reads "E", That means it is out, or almost out of fuel :rolleyes: You don't ever want to run a Fuel injected car dry ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

i have try 'd to tell my wife that 1/4 means add fuel,for 40 years , nope she'd determin'd to set a world record to see how far the car will go after it reaches empty ,,

in truth i have ran out of gas 4 or 5 times pulling into the gas station after she has driven the van a few days , i've learn'd to carry a gas can with me when going to get gas in the van

Where is the test connection that you jumped the fuel pump with? I need to check my injectors.

Lets see, you have been a SQC member since October '10. Since that time there have been at least 10 posts about fuel pump electrical jumping here in the VM Forum.

Rabbit told you in his original post that he "looked at the FSM quickly" and grabbed his jumper wire amd energized his fuel pump.

You know that the FSM shows where it is, and which system it's in, so get off of your butt and look it up!! I'm not going to WASTE my time doing it, when it's obvious that YOU ARE TOO LAZY to do it yourself.

Yeah!! I am using you as an example, but this crap has to stop!

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS - Have you read this post? http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116287

It was written, in part, because of BS like this!!

Edited by Starfighterpilot

I don't know what FSM is but I guess ill look there anyway. Thanks

There are more than enough posts to it here on VM with the link to it. Find the link and download the the FIELD Service Manual (FSM). Damn, look here and download it or buy a hard copy one off of the internet.

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/service_manual_index.html

You have been a member of SQC since 10/10. Start reading the various forums and links on this site and you will be amazed at what you learn.

If ya own a Starquest ya better start reading about what makes them tick and the typical problems that they have. ;)

Cuz no one is "'Bout to Find Out" what a Conquest is unless you help your Lady be all that she can be. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS I strongly suggest that you read the following two links:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28104

And

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449

And get familiar with what topics are in the Starquest FAQ Forum here on SQC. ;)

Edited by Starfighterpilot