3" exhaust experimentation...

Bag-O-Chips

LOL... you guys...

No it will not change the sound that much, I've built one with a free flow resonator in the middle of the car. This is how it will sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4thwYpDnYg

Watch this on a computer with a subwoofer, or very good headphones to see how it REALLY sounds. There is a big difference.

-Robert

LOL... you guys...

No it will not change the sound that much, I've built one with a free flow resonator in the middle of the car. This is how it will sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4thwYpDnYg

Watch this on a computer with a subwoofer, or very good headphones to see how it REALLY sounds. There is a big difference.

-Robert

What we're getting at here is mounting a resonator or muffler as part of the down pipe directly after the turbo.

-Robert your car sounds great btw :D

What we're getting at here is mounting a resonator or muffler as part of the down pipe directly after the turbo.

-Robert your car sounds great btw :D

i need to put vband or something on mine, my ubolts hit the ground a lot lol

I put a muffler in the stock cat location, it was a burns stainelss flow though model. It's about 4.5" in diameter, so it hung down lower than the stock cat. It was also rather loud, kind of tractor like.

My current setup sounds about the same but gives better ground clearance.

With prior exhaust setups I found a lot of the tone was dependant on the distance between the muffler chamber and the end of the tip. Adding or removin g a few inches made a noticable difference. the quiestest setup I ever had was a 3" in/out round flow-through magnaflow with a 3" diameter, 12" long tip. Most use no tip, a really wide dimeter one, or one that is only a few inches long. It had the same flow as any of the best designs, but this was deep and quiet, relativly speaking.

http://www.steynfamily.com/images/slr-engine-left-side-b.jpg

With this in mind a feasibly mellow side exhaust is possible to an extent.

What do you guys think?

-Chips

With that 3000.00 convertor, 500.00 flex joint and 8000.00 muffler nobody in here will ever know.

A resonator off the turbo wouldn't do anything you would notice but burn out. The sound and pressure waves in the pipe are what the resonators are to smooth out before they leave, where's its placed isn't important. The shape of it is what matters. The exhaust note of larger tubing is lower so from far away it just sounds louder. If it were ricer 2" honda exhaust it would sound loud closer to the car like those people want. Your neighbors hear your car from two blocks away, like your subs. Resonators can cost more than a muffler.

I enjoy the spooly whistle I get from my open 2.5 inch. Just like diesel trucks, I can hear my turbo spool down all the way to idle which I just love LOL.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/pocketrocket1331/?action=view&current=VID00003-20101031-1231.mp4

I am still open to new exhaust set up idea's though. I hope at PF I can actually here everything in person instead of hoping that the camera mic is up to par haha. I think a cut out with a proper exhaust system will be my best bet, but that expensive.

-Justin

Edited by NudeLobster

Good 3" resonators are usually 4" round with some sort of fiberglass in the extra space with a 3" stainless steel mesh holding the fiberglass out...making a 3" straight through shot with no restriction at all. There are louvered resonators which lower the decibels and tone even more, but at worst the flow resistance was 5% (depending on length). Real flow improvement comes from having the straightest, meaning fewest bends, and shortest exhaust you can get. Resonators do not have baffles like a muffler, especially a non-turbo muffler have. Are you figuring this out yourself or is some shop telling you this?

The resonators decrease flow because of the pockets of air getting trapped in the glass area that otherwise would be flowing directly out. If you say 5% I would say then that is substantial enough to feel it physically. Mine can be felt over 15ft away by the moving of your pantleg visibly. Iwould say a good 20 ft away, you can still feel it.

Yes of course fewer and less of an angle bends, and shorter = more flow, but also less interuptions such as flex tubes, resonators, baffles, etc... I only use a flex because it is needed so the system can flex and not put so much pressure on the exhaust studs in the head. I like to have that flex horizontal too, not verticle as that is the direction it needs to flex in.

With a well built 2.6L, there is no such thing as a fart can. :) Especially a Dynomax Ultra flow. I've had too many people tell me it is the best sounding 4 cylinder exhaust they've ever heard. No bad vibrations or irratable sounds in the cabin either.

I've got a racing magna flow on another 3" exhaust coming off of a 2.5" DP that doesn't sound as good.

I've got an open (no muffler) stock sized pipe with a TEP downpipe on it that is way loud and very obnoxious.

I've got a 2.5" exhaust from the DP to a Monza resonator that isn't much better. I've got a gutted stock '87 system, stock muffler that is quiet until you get on the throttle.

So I guess you could say I have done a little more than your average persons experimenting on a StarQuest.

Back when I bought the Dynomax, it was the best muffler on the market without spending big money for HKS, and it wasn't cheap. I think it was $125 with me installing it. I bought lunch for a friend who welded it on for me too. :)

I put a muffler in the stock cat location, it was a burns stainelss flow though model. It's about 4.5" in diameter, so it hung down lower than the stock cat. It was also rather loud, kind of tractor like.

My current setup sounds about the same but gives better ground clearance.

With prior exhaust setups I found a lot of the tone was dependant on the distance between the muffler chamber and the end of the tip. Adding or removin g a few inches made a noticable difference. the quiestest setup I ever had was a 3" in/out round flow-through magnaflow with a 3" diameter, 12" long tip. Most use no tip, a really wide dimeter one, or one that is only a few inches long. It had the same flow as any of the best designs, but this was deep and quiet, relativly speaking.

Yeah, I'd like to have a bit of a longer tip on mine, but I'm too cheap to pay the extra $30 or so for it!