rack and pinion conversion

• 3 weeks later...

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to run the Mustang setup (since I have it and is in good working order) or go with the Nissan rack (i also have one with a crossmember and LCAs, but the rack needs rebuilt and everything is 600+ miles away).

The G54B is earning some merit with me, now that I've got one in halfway decent running order, and rebuilding one for more performance is cheaper than any of my engine swap choices.

Guess I'll start junkyard hunting for other rear-steer cars, and see if something other than the S-chassis setup will work. My steering links and Pitman arm bushings are worn and giving me death wobble between 35-45mph, so I've got to do something soon.

• 4 months later...
Ok Im all for Doing the work on this for my quest, I just need to know all the specfics on what is acutally beijng modified. Someone needs to get some Pics in here so we can see what we are working with. Or If some one is selling a kit at this point I may pick one up. all that i know is that this looks to be %100 worth the effort!

• 1 month later...

I think if someone got a solid kit out our cars would become very popular. I know I would be buying the kit down the road here despite dropping $500 to rebuild my front suspension a couple months ago.

What is there to make a kit from??????? Buy a used 240sx k member with a rack hack off the mounts and weld them to your rack make some powersteering lines or go manual then weld some nissan u joints to youf steering rack. What about that (besides the lines) is "kit"able? Geez you guys crack me up!

And here is a photo of my shortened steering knuckles with a 240 rack

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/trippleCing/BEAEF654-5577-4932-B7D0-B7A67E9DC2D5-2683-000006003284B4D9.jpg

Edited by Scotty Dont

I'm going to start my 240 swap soon. I will do my best to document my progress along the way. It won't be a fast change over. I have most of the parts that are needed for the swap. The main part is the cross member. Adapting the 240 to our cross member. I think I have a good idea on how to make sure it all goes together properly and get the horns on where they need to be. I'm hoping things end up like I see them im my head.

has anyone compared the measurements of the 240 crossmember and control arms to the stock quest ones? if they are similar you could modify a 240 crossmember and run s14 control arms and hubs get a nice brake conversion and have some nasty steering angle (theoretically)...

Bump to the top we need this kit.

BTW what you are describing above is exactly what the Z31 (80's 300ZX) guys do so they can run the 5 bolt hubs and use S13 coilovers. They are in the same boat as us, the front suspension is basically the same with very few coilover options..

If we did the swap, we could use the S13 shocks, brake kits, all that, but I don't know the offset differences. I know the Z31's have a wider front track with the S13 parts.

The 2 cross members are different widths. Using the 240 stuff track width is about 1 1/2" wider. If my calculations are correct.

The nice thing is you can run the 300zx brakes. 4 piston calipers.

Alignment will be easier to a point. It will have 2 spots for camber adjustment. Up top and at the hub, if you get the offset bolts.

I would def advise against welding new knuckles to your existing. I know it's been done a lot, but if you don't know what your doing, when it breaks your f-kd. You could easily bore the existing hole to fit a Nissan end link.

What is there to make a kit from??????? What about that (besides the lines) is "kit"able?

I'd say a kit could include the lines and the steering linkage parts. Possibly the weld-on mounts? There are kits like that for V8 and older cars all over the place.

So why does a kit need to be made, all of the parts are available from a junk yard and some parts need to be modified on the existing car. For example the steering column, I chopped the original u-joint off and welded a Nissan one on. I guess I just doesn't understand how you guys think this is going to be a bolt in affair. Some leg work is going to have to be done by the fabricator this isn't some old American car where most parts interchange.

T3 makes adapter steering arms for the KP61 Starlet that uses Corolla spindles. Maybe if we had some specs/measurements, they can make Starion arms that bolt up to 240sx outer tie rod ends?

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/kp61/kp61-ae86-conversion-steering-knuckles

DSC_9686.jpg

Hey guys i found a manual rack that im thinking about using for this. Does any one know the width that it needs to be from tie rod to tie rod? I messured mine but its on the car. The rack i found is 1 inch wider then the messurement i got off of mine just trying to make sure my messurement was right since my tie rods were angled down since the car was jacked up in the air.