rack and pinion conversion

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been around, been too-busy with work and building the Rx7 drift car.

I plan on mimicking silo's design to an extent, though I'm going to attempt using the stock SQ crossmember with S13 rack mounts welded on. From there, the steering shaft will be shortened OEM Nissan from the rack to the rag joint, and will continue as unmodified OEM Mitsu into the firewall. With the stock crossmember, LCAs will remain OEM as well. I'll be working on an option to use S-chassis LCAs should someone want to go that route.

I do also have a complete SN95 Mustang setup I can modify into the front of an SQ and build a kit from, if anyone is interested in going that route as well.

As far as a time-frame, unfortunately I don't have one. Pretty much whenever I get to it at this point - I do plan on being at the SQ Vegas Nats, so hopefully I'll have a demo or a few mock-ups on display for everyone to oogle.

--Dave

Doesn't/didn't ProfessorQuest have a kit out there somewhere? I recall it being somewhat pricey ~$400

An alternative is to drop the power steering and go with a D-50 manual steering setup on the cheap.

professor quest sold an extended steering colomn and a manual gearbox for 400 bucks. not a rack system

• 2 weeks later...

I second what dave is saying. I bought my rack last weekend and it will be going to a stock sq crossmember and collum. Will be working on it asap!

Epic! Definitely post up your findings!

I'm most likely buying another Starion when I get back from New Mexico next week, so I'll be focusing a lot of time and money into the SQ projects in the near future.

Epic! Definitely post up your findings!

I'm most likely buying another Starion when I get back from New Mexico next week, so I'll be focusing a lot of time and money into the SQ projects in the near future.

What the heck are you doing in my neck of the woods,nothing but sand down here.

• 1 month later...
bumping this up, am keen to know how people are getting on with their rack and pinion swaps - am seriously wanting to do this to my car also with S13 parts. I too wanted to retain the stock crossmember, unless the S13/240 crossmember is much narrower on the front side, the engine I eventually want to fit has a larger bowl in the (front) sump.

What the heck are you doing in my neck of the woods,nothing but sand down here.

I'm managing a warehouse in Albuquerque that deals with smoke shop supplies. Been here long enough to consider myself New Mexican haha.

So after a trade deal fell through on my Starion and Conquest, and my roommate in Utah wanting to buy back my daily '86 Rx7, I'll be bringing my Conquest to daily status and working on it and the Starion quite a bit more. I'm going in on a shop in SLC with a friend so there will be tools for me to finally use to fab up a rack setup. For my Conquest (since its the missile/test-bed) I'll be using a complete S13 front suspension, brakes and steering, with S13 coilovers all around. I do still intend to build a kit to swap in an S13 rack and keep the rest of the suspension OEM SQ. I hope to have something of progress to show for the Mesquite '11 meet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have not been around here but I have an EVO 8 rack installed under one of my Starions. These pictures were taken 5 years ago.

http://www.vermontel.net/~dcma/Stars/Whity%20front1.JPG

http://www.vermontel.net/~dcma/Stars/Whity%20rack%20top.JPG

http://www.vermontel.net/~dcma/Stars/Whity%20strut.JPG

In this last picture you will notice the caliper mounts are a bit different on my car as well. I have been running Wilwood Superlite calipers over 12 7/8 rotors front and 12 3/16 rotors on the rear. This suspension and brakes have been run going on 15 years now. I eliminated the brake booster as well way back then but now have a triple master setup in the car.

Edited by old-colt

Haven't done mine yet but plan to. Heres some info I've dug up.

The virtual length of the lower control arm is roughly 15.5 inches. The middle section of a steering rack that has 15.5 inch would be just barely over 20 inches. The closest I found at the junk yard was out of a suzuki swift. It was 21.5 inches if I recall correctly. This would have the least amount of bump steer of any set up I could find.

it would appear that very very few production cars have LCA's as long as ours, possibly why our cars handle so well. If you make the two perfectly parallel at whatever your ride height is you'll probably never notice any significant bump steer, however I wanted it perfect.

Still looking but haven't decided what I'll end up doing, HOWEVER:

any front steer rack that you want to use on your car, just get a right hand drive version of that unit and mount it backwards. It is now a rear steer unit.

what I'm currently playing around with: honda s2000 steering rack. At roughly 31 inches it will have a lot of bump steer at the extremes of suspension travel, however my car is a road race car anyways, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue. I'd like to see if I can chop and weld it up so that it will be closer to 20 inches. The biggest driving point to the s2000's steering rack: its electric. Also it has a 13.9:1 ratio.

you might have to read through this twice cuz I think I wrote it kinda quickly and poorly.

• 1 month later...
If any one can come up with a bolt in system using as much SQ parts I am in because I have front brake upgrade and a D2 coil over system going on the car , it wil be expensive to redo all of this . love all the idea. Casey if you had to make your system up Pm me on estimate cost.

• 5 weeks later...

A DSM steering unit is rear mount. I haven't seen that mentioned yet as an option. Has anyone looked into it? Trying to keep this one near the top. I definitely want to rid my car of power steering and the weight associated w/ it.

KT

I just finished up the 240 rack in my car with modes knuckles and I have 2.750 turns lock to lock and the turning radius is unbelievable!

Updates??

a write up would be awesome

Who wants to get written up?? I can make that happen.

-Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in this too.

Can we get some real tech from someone? There's been talk of the "240" rack. Is this the old 240z or the newer 240sx rack? (I'm not familiar with the Nissan stuff) OEM part numbers are great here. They can be cross referenced to aftermarket stuff back and forth to check availability.

I've been building SCCA racers for years now and if given dimensions can order custom racks from Pegasus Racing, Coleman or even Woodward Steering but they're major $$. Existing parts are always cheaper. One web site even talks about a Saab rack for the conversion. But alas no part number(s) either.

I'm really looking forward to hearing how it's been done before in more detail.

Thanks,

Chris E.

• 2 months later...
Has anybody come up with a sound method yet. I'm about to install my bushing kit, sway bars,coil overs and a new braking system into my 84 quest. I'm planning to install a rack while i have everything apart and it would realy help things if anybody has a proven method.

• 3 months later...
I'll be dropping a Mustang rack (which is front steer) into my Conquest with an engine swap, but I do still plan on building a kit for a rear-steer Nissan 240sx rack. I know I've said this for over a year now, but I finally have the money and fab tools at my disposal. I'd estimate fall of this year I'll have something.