What heats up your oil more

Metric-man

What heats up your engine oil more?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think heats your engine oil more ?

• Cylinder combustion
    • Exhaust valves
    • Turbocharger Turbine Wheel
    • Crankshaft Rotation
    • Camshaft Rotation
    • Valve Springs
    • Rocker Arms
    • Timing Chain Rotation
    • I Don't Know

I subscribed to a racing performance magazine when I was going to JC by advice of my Instructor.

I read it as soon as I got it the mail for each month,

because I new my teacher would have already read it he was a big NASCAR Fan,

and he'd ask us questions in class or the lecture he gave would pertain to subject the editors covered that month.

I can take or leave NASCAR, but there was other racing info besides that, and some really good performance engine tips

that could be applied to any engine although most of the time they were writing about push-rod v8's

That probably is what contributed to my lack of focus,

that and in the beginning and through most of school, I was working full time and,

had a full class schedule, so little time except for studying, eating, & sleeping between work hours.

I was cleaning around the house throwing some old papers out and I came across an issue.

I had read it before, and I thought.. a refresher course on some performance tips might be good for me just to keep the melon between my shoulders active. ;)

I have a pretty good memory and to be honest, I probably never read it correctly, or just plain skipped over the article.. which puzzled me because it was from one of my favorite authors.

So instead of coming right out and blabbing the answer, I wanted to stir interest in the subject.

I thought a poll would be a good method of doing so.

~Some of you guys and ladies probably already know the answer, and the author, but give the others a chance to catch up.~

I'm thinking this could be an opportunity in the making except I'll never know if I don't ask.. but everyone needs to be on the same page.

For that reason I'll wait to post the answer, that will give a good majority time to respond and check the other members answers.

I'll just post the findings not the whole article because I'm sure it's copyrighted,

but I'll wait until the poll has 40 or 50 responses (If it'll get that) just to see where the majority is in response to something of this nature.

So if you know you can post your answer and vote (hopefully)

and if you don't you can guess the answer, or vote "I Don't Know"

but I'll post what I found out "today" after most have responded.

and then I'll have another question, that'll probably only interest a few but hopefully more.

Without any more clues, I'll wait for your responses ; and thanks in advance for participating in the poll.

:rolleyes: "What do you think heats up your engine oil more ?"

Edited by starion_cult

This is all about surface area. Since the cylinder walls have the most, its also the most obvious answer. Since this sounds like its going to be more a surprise, I go for the crankshaft.

It has a lot of surface area, rotates pretty fast and just slushes that oil around.

the internal combustion engine is the most ineffeciant modern device we still have, its just a step above a horse

it divides its power in 3 area's one 1/3 of developed hp goes to the rear wheel, 1/3 of its hp goes out the exhaust pipe and 1/3 of its power is used to control the heat, like the water pump, oil pump and fluid transfers

The heat is controled by fluids transfering heat to air heat exchangers, the transfer rate between the heat exchanger to the air exceeds 50 to 1

those fundimental facts are the reason I tend to lean towards the destroked, lower piston speed, long rod ratio theory, because anytime I can improve hp and keep the heat down, its all good

heat is generated by combustion and is consintrated on the exhaust valve side of the piston area, the heat is exchanged from the piston skirt to the cylinder wall and then on the the coolant which is circulated by the water pump to the radiater

Heat in an engine, is a product of combustion. Without the combustion and oil pressure feeding everything, engine may become warm to the touch but that is about it. It cant be the turbo or the exhaust valves because without combustion they would not get hot in the first place...so it all starts in the chamber;)

i'm going to be different and say the timing chain=D lol that is churning up all of the oil in the timing cover and slinging it against the hot oil pump and all of the chain driven parts=P and it's whippin pretty fast=D plus it has the chain tensioner rubbing on it and heating it up=) so i say timing chain because no one else did=~) and i think i backed it up a little=D lol

Heat source is Combustion but most of that heat gets absorbed by the cooling system and is also vented in the exhaust.

I'd say Crankshaft heats up oil the most. Think of pressure and temperature relation, higher pressure equals higher temperature. Oil takes on a lot of pressure as it passes through and around the crank and bearings which in turn will raise its temperature. Also, the crank is the largest moving part in a block and supports the entire rotating assembly; friction and load, all goes back to the crank. Just my opinion...

crank makes sense. combustion seems silly in a way, because what about cars with ceramic coatings in the combustion chamber and ports? those engines still build up plenty of heat. the fact that combustion temp is like 1300 degrees and the cyl head gets to about 200 means most of that heat isn't getting absorbed in to the engine. it's going out the exhaust pipe.

since all the load goes through the crank, it would make sense that the oil on the crank bearings are going to see the highest pressures, and therefore the highest temperature increase.

Easy one! Valve springs create more heat than the others.

Am I the only one to know this?

COMP-cams must have put something in the water there in Tennessee.

Oh well ....

Thanks for those of you that participated in the poll ,

and to those of you that read my post at the beginning of the thread.

Here is the promised material as I stated I would supply,

as for the rest, since I did not get the desired response I'll refrain from the other commitments.

[quote name=Excerpt from Circle track Coated paths to power

by Jim McFarland]

Almost 30 years ago My initial exposure to aerospace coatings in racing was in the application of an aluminum oxide spray

applied to clutch friction surfaces. the results were so outstanding that it quickly appeared viable to apply the same material to the crown of pistons , largely to improve power. In this case the results were disastrous enabling small flakes of aluminum at a Rockwell hardness of about 70c to wipe out the rings and score the cylinder walls however before the damage it became apparent that the anticipated power gain had occurred albeit with problematic side effects...

...Shortly there after I met and came to know another person with a strong desire to explore the potential benefits of thermal coatings...

..His name was Leonard Warren, but Leonard wasn't the first to contemplate the transition of aerospace coatings techniques into the motor sports environment. VHT paints had been around for a time largely applicable to exhaust headers an Smokey (Yunick) had previously showed me dyno results from some "heat paint" he'd been using on the underside of piston crowns...

Smokey once contended that valve springs raise the operating temperature of engine oil more than combustion heat.

He'd already discovered that with his own version of today's "Spintron" spin fixture.

Included in that discussion was his belief other than valve float that heat foreshortens spring life more than anything else.

Essentially there are two sources of heat in a valve spring.

One is derived from friction of a spring moving against other surfaces inner springs harmonic dampers, etc.,

and the other from flexing or working of spring material during normal operation.

Studies have shown that a valve spring is never motionless even when the valve is seated.

Residual energy and harmonics transverse an otherwise static spring while a valve is on it's seat.

Consequently, heat within spring material is continually being generated.

Heat is a principle source of damage to springs and since valve springs are cooled by oil,

you can expect other parts of the engine to correspondingly experience increased oil temperature.

Further, because the distribution of heat in a valve spring tends not to be uniform,

coatings particularly of the dry film variety can both reduce overall spring temperature and create more uniformity,

in how heat is distributed in the spring.

The latter of these two benefits goes to the issue of eliminating "hot spots" within spring material,

likened in a sense to what you might find from stress risers in other engine components.

In addition valve springs don't necessarily wear in uniform fashion .

Consequently, coating them with a thermally dispersive material can aid in creating a more uniform distribution of heat within the spring.

What you need to avoid are coatings that tend to insulate oil from the spring, thereby preventing the lubricant from absorbing unwanted heat.

This can be a particular problem in multiple spring sets where the additional friction surfaces tend to increase temperature at a greater rate ,

and cause the cooling benefits of the oil to be even more critical.

http://image.circletrack.com/f/9405912/ctrp_0801_02_z+engine_building_changes+smokey_yunick_spintron.jpg

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/ctrp_0807_engine_coatings/specific_applications.html