Code red

Everybody was driving at their own risk, nobody was forced to drive a certain way.........I do agree it should be more organized so everybody is in one group tho!

Chad-

yeah i was almost riding in the back seat of the car but decided to have more room and ride with coldscrip.. .if i was in the back seat im sure it would have been pretty bad for me...

yeah the organization at PF blows... we were like "hey we want to go to area 32.." and people were like "area 32? were going now??" and half the group drove off...

shame to see this happen to justins car... but yeah.. he wasnt the only one driving "spiritedly"..

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeze man, I can't believe it. I'm glad you and logic made it out clean, but sorry your car paid the price. Like everyone's been saying though, better the car than you or someone else.

yeah the organization at PF blows...

...that's because there is NO organization at PF---for a reason!

PF is a laid-back meet where people do what they want, when they want. PF was "organized" once in 2004 and the result was a stressful, hurried, mess where people felt obligated to conform to a schedule and since then there has been no organization. ...and you couldn't ask for a better meet in my opinion.

It is what it is. Pigeon Forge just a great meeting spot for SQ enthusiasts--with no expectations. It is what you make it.

I hear the "national" meets have LOTS of organization. I bet you would love them and they wouldn't "blow" as you so eloquently put it.

:)

...that's because there is NO organization at PF---for a reason!

PF is a laid-back meet where people do what they want, when they want. PF was "organized" once in 2004 and the result was a stressful, hurried, mess where people felt obligated to conform to a schedule and since then there has been no organization. ...and you couldn't ask for a better meet in my opinion.

It is what it is. Pigeon Forge just a great meeting spot for SQ enthusiasts--with no expectations. It is what you make it.

I hear the "national" meets have LOTS of organization. I bet you would love them and they wouldn't "blow" as you so eloquently put it.

:)

Excuse me, but I would like to point out that the National Meets have a structure. It is completely optional whether that structure is followed, no obligation.

And, speaking from experience, I can say that sometimes it jumps off, sometimes it craters, and sometimes, a new structure is made on the spot.

I'll make it to PF one of these days, I swear I will.

Tim

PF was Great. Bill, Myself, Justin, Paul and Joe Made it home ok. Well we dropped Paul at walmart and his buddy picked him up. Justin's Dad and brother met us at my shop and he dragged ( literaly) Justins car off my trailer onto his, So Justin and Joe should be home shortly. Bill and I are safe at home.

As far as running the cars hard, or being stupid or whatever you want to call it. You could have organized this as just a parade , but it was an ACCIDENT!!!

Nothing intentional, Just written in fate.

I had a great time there and will be back again. I place no blame on anyone.... Sure we can call Justin a Hot dog ( well he is) But remember it was still an accident. It was not done on purpose and thank god no one was injured.

Don't throw stones....... How many of you have exceeded the speed limit??? Just remember that things can and do happen.. so be safe. but still live life and enjoy it.

Dad

PF was Great. Bill, Myself, Justin, Paul and Joe Made it home ok. Well we dropped Paul at walmart and his buddy picked him up. Justin's Dad and brother met us at my shop and he dragged ( literaly) Justins car off my trailer onto his, So Justin and Joe should be home shortly. Bill and I are safe at home.

As far as running the cars hard, or being stupid or whatever you want to call it. You could have organized this as just a parade , but it was an ACCIDENT!!!

Nothing intentional, Just written in fate.

I had a great time there and will be back again. I place no blame on anyone.... Sure we can call Justin a Hot dog ( well he is) But remember it was still an accident. It was not done on purpose and thank god no one was injured.

Don't throw stones....... How many of you have exceeded the speed limit??? Just remember that things can and do happen.. so be safe. but still live life and enjoy it.

Dad

well put randy

anyone can crash there car at any given time rather hot doggin or not it was a accident plain and simple hes car hes choice too run the road just like i did randy did and man many other

yeah the organization at PF blows... we were like "hey we want to go to area 32.." and people were like "area 32? were going now??" and half the group drove off...

Yup! I didn't know when it was going to happen and got left behind. :(

The car was a noble steed, it sacrificed it's life to save yours.

-Robert

"Brave, brave Conquest! You shall not have died in vain!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Angeleyes2391/mp/montypython-0.jpg

Edited by Austin88ESiR

well, maybe in the future, events such as when to run area 32 or the dragon, etc. should be organized a little. for example on sat at 2 pm, will be the time to run, so that way everyone can know the same info and be in the right spot. it wouldnt change the feel of the meet in my opinion to have one piece of structure.

I'm finally home and was able to catch up on reading all of the comments since my last post. I deeply appreciate the comments which continue to flow in as people catch word of the event. I graciously appreciate the concern for the car, myself, and Joe.

Now...my opinion...take it or leave it.

As far as organization for the cruise...I was quite upset when it was I who had said 12:15pm will be when we will all go. I said it in the parking garage, many of you heard me say it...and it was agreed upon unnanymously. It got to be that time...and it was quite clear that some people were still walking to there cars to put there hoods down and get in to go on the cruise. Unfortunately, the impatience won out and a large group went on without the other half. Myself included. Due to that...we even got lost on the way there. If some people could have just hung on a couple more minutes for the rest of the group to get in there cars, I think the possibility IS there, that fate could have been different. Alas...it didn't work out that way, and what's done is done. As far as safety is concerned, I think any sort of spirited run SHOULD BE ORGANIZED and the ones who participate should STAY TOGETHER.

Ulrich Wolf brings up a fabulous detail. Structured scheduling is simply an outline. You don't have to follow it...it's just suggested, and if you bite...it'll be at the same time as everybody else who bites. Remember those group dinners at PF? Where everybody parked in a long row.....and we got a group pic? Yeah....one of the things I used to look forward to. Too bad the lack of structure let that group exercise fly out the window.

I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. I'm simply suggesting, that if everybody was together, there wouldn't have been a group of TSi's going Full Steam UP the hill.....while another group was going Full Steam down. I believe thats why race tracks only run in one direction, per event.

Fact is...I'm home, Joe's home, both of us are safe...and this casualty of this car will help put another Conquest on the road. I'll be back in the driver seat of another TSi sooner than you think. I will begin cutting the car apart tomorrow if its not too hot. I'll at least begin removing things from the car.

Special thanks to Randy (Dad) for going out of his way and hauling my car closer to home. How can I ever thank you enough for that? I even fixed your car, while driving it back to Ohio!

Thanks to everyone else who assisted at the crash site, and unloading/loading the car at the hotel. This has been one heck of a vacation weekend and a PF event that I and probably others will never forget, let me tell you.

Justin

Edited by Coke

Wow, that sucks!!

I started to call AJ or Jimmy just to see how things were going at PF, but my attention kept getting grabbed to something else. Now I wish I had of called.

Of course I am happy to know that you walked away without serious injury. But still nobody wants to total or even wreck their car at a car meet/event. I can only assume how Coke feels. I know it must have been hard to have to look at the car while it just sat, while everybody talked about it.

Just looking at those pics gives me a flashback of when I wrecked my Conquest.

Sorry to hear about your lost bro.

I am not trying to hijack the thread so if there are any responses to this post, please refer them to PM. (or the poll thread coming next)

This post is a partial copy and paste of an email I sent to Justin earlier. It was in reference to the group meals/photos and organization. It was very long-winded so please bear with me. If you make it past the first paragraph you will be ok. :)

Justin mentioned the group dinners and pictures at PF... I miss them as well but we had problems with being able to keep everyone happy because the group dinners usually cost more than a #2 combo at McDonalds. There were too many complaints about the meal prices and locations. It's also difficult to find a restaurant that will agree to accomodate an estimated 50+ people (high guestimate to be safe) and have enough parking for us to get a decent pictures. Restaurants have been burned in the past by people making large reservations and either not showing up at all or showing up with a much smaller number of people causing them to lose business since they cleared that large area for the reservation--so now they require a deposit anywhere from $200-$500 for the reservation and it's only refundable if you show up with enough people. The last group dinner we did required a $500 deposit and Jess barely got his deposit back so he vowed to never put his credit card up like that again. Chances are that noboy else feels like gambling with their money like that with the uncertainty of how many will show up. The last group dinner that was "organized" ended up with only a handful of people becuse a large group decided they would rather have Corky's BBQ instead. After that the group dinner died.

The other issue with the group dinner is that they usually happen on Saturday evening and that is when people have just started or have been drinking, people are at attractions with their families, or they have decided to do their own thing for dinner within a smaller group. (i.e. Corky's)

Maybe next year we can try it again if we can find a restaurant with enough parking that will not require a large party deposit. We can try the "build it and they will come" idea and tell everyone in advance when and where and see what happens--but as with this year's 32 run, a time was set and a portion of folks decided to leave when they wanted--not with the group. The organization didn't fail or "suck" as was stated, the people "sucked"--a time and meeting place were set and some people chose to do their own thing. Others missed out because they waited to be told when the run was happening.

The one thing we can do for sure is plan a group picture in a large paking lot near the hotel. That doesn't cost anything and people are more likely to show up if it doesn't cost anything or they aren't busy.

I made that post about "organization" because I knew that the 32 run had been "organized". Justin setting a time=organization. Anyone who wanted to go should have been proactive and asked around as to when the run was happening. There is not one good time at PF when you can make an announcement and EVERYONE hear it. Once a time was set, word of mouth does the rest. After that it is up to those interested in going on the 32 or Dragon run to ASK around about when and where. I guess next time someone should go door to door to let everyone know since the "organization" sucked so bad this time. :P

It is difficult to set times in advance before the meet that the run is going to happen at ??:00 due to circumstances that occur once everyone is at PF such as: The weather can be unpredictable, Someone's car may need repairs, Those who stay up late may not want to go until after noon, or others may have plans at some of the attractions for certain times of day. It's really hard to make everyone happy.

I did not mean the comment earlier about the national meets as any sort of disrespect. It takes a lot of time, effort, and energy to organize a large event. It takes even more effort to "shepard" those people to where they need to be when they need to be there. I think most of the PF attendees enjoy the laid back atmosphere and the ability to improvise such things as meals and driving runs. Some structure wouldn't be bad though. Maybe we can set a drive time, meal time, and go kart tme so that people have an idea of what to plan around.

The only thing I can see that can be done for those who don't enjoy the level of organization at PF is for them to set times for events in advance and see if people manage to make it. That means someone will have to step-up and take responsibility for setting a time and place for an event and those same people will have to see that everyone is informed as well as make the arangments with the restaurant or venue. (i.e. reservation and deposit if required)

This is only my opinion and I am sure others will disagree. I may start a thread with a poll about the organization of PF for everyone to discuss their concerns in a diplomatic fashion.

Edited by helrazr70

This is only my opinion and I am sure others will disagree. I may start a thread with a poll about the organization of PF for everyone to discuss their concerns in a diplomatic fashion.

You should. The only thing I can agree with is making the mountain run a set time event - a lot of other things do just that. If you're car is broken down, oh well. Most events also don't necessarily hold a specific dinner spot if its a large group. Heck if next year I can plan well enough ahead of time to be at PF, I'll take it upon myself to organize the run. I have no problem running around trying to find people and asking them and or letting them know ^_^

Heck if next year I can plan well enough ahead of time to be at PF, I'll take it upon myself to organize the run. I have no problem running around trying to find people and asking them and or letting them know ^_^

That's what I am talking about! A proactive attitude! So, the driving event is tentatively covered. Now we can look at other issues.

Thanks Justin!

The poll thread is started.

Updates! Engine and transmission have been removed!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/nutdpl/85e99625.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/nutdpl/ab3cd511.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/nutdpl/a9d17f5d.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/nutdpl/64fc8ca1.jpg